Author Topic: Cummins of magilligan.  (Read 7668 times)

Offline owenc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Any possible way to connect?
« Reply #18 on: Friday 08 October 10 23:01 BST (UK) »
Hi again. ;) Sorry for starting another thread but i can't stop when i start so here goes again. I was just wondering is there anyway to connect my george cummin that i found in 1707 to anyone in scotland or at least find his parents or birth date and place?  :-\ Thanks for all your help.

Moderator's Note: merged with existing thread since it's not necessary to start a new topic for Cummins family

Offline owenc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Cummins of magilligan.
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 23 January 11 08:17 GMT (UK) »
Here i go again... does anyone know of these people in derry under the name cumming, who are they i have never heard of them is there any way of me connecting upto them? Could someone also suggest to me why they would be church of ireland when they should be scottish planters so it would make sense to be presbyterian? Here they are:

Moderator's Comment: Information cut & pasted from IHFH site search removed - please see terms and conditions here: www.rootsireland.ie/ifhf/terms.php

They are all in the st columns cathedrale... i presume they are all of the same name its just that the minister has used different spellings.. could someone please try and figure out who they are or find out extra info thanks.

Offline owenc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 18 October 18 14:40 BST (UK) »
Hi, would it be possible to find Jame’s (1810 moved from Magilligan to Dunboe) wife - Matilda’s Maiden name any other way than with marriage records?

Matilda is listed as being James of Ballywildricks wife in 1st Dunboe grave records.

I know he had three additional children, Rachel and Maragaret, Jane, Elizabeth and Mary Anne, however, I cannot find their baptisms.

Every avenue that I go down seems to bring a brick wall. Would their even be a chance of finding anything in Newspaper records?

Thanks.

Offline owenc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 18 October 18 14:51 BST (UK) »
Hi, would it be possible to find Jame’s (1810 moved from Magilligan to Dunboe) wife - Matilda’s Maiden name any other way than with marriage records?

Matilda is listed as being James of Ballywildricks wife in 1st Dunboe grave records.

I know he had additional children to my GG Grandfather - Rachel and Maragaret, Jane, Elizabeth and Mary Anne, however, I cannot find their baptisms.

Every avenue that I go down seems to bring a brick wall. Would their even be a chance of finding anything in Newspaper records?

Thanks.

Offline jomackiwi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 03 March 21 02:35 GMT (UK) »
I might be years late to the party but here is my info. My 2 x Great Grandmother was Elizabeth Cummins, spelt Kimmons on her son's birth certificate. (1838) She was born around 1818, she married John Smyth in Ballykelly and it is noted that she came from Tully Townland. She had at least two boys, John and James (have DNA links to the James line) I think her Father was Samuel, but that is because I was contacted by a Grandson of the Sammy that was born in 1900. He was raised in Limavady, son of Kenneth Cummins.  The complication here is that I am also related to Sammy's Mother, so our DNA match could potentially be to the Holmes side and not the Cummins. I am assuming that my Cummins are the Magilligan branch because my dominant matches are to the McCurrys of Myroe who were fisherfolk in between Magilliagn and Moville. The Gedmatch No for my Mum, who is 94 and still kicking, is A340760.

Offline owenc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 04 March 21 05:38 GMT (UK) »
I might be years late to the party but here is my info. My 2 x Great Grandmother was Elizabeth Cummins, spelt Kimmons on her son's birth certificate. (1838) She was born around 1818, she married John Smyth in Ballykelly and it is noted that she came from Tully Townland. She had at least two boys, John and James (have DNA links to the James line) I think her Father was Samuel, but that is because I was contacted by a Grandson of the Sammy that was born in 1900. He was raised in Limavady, son of Kenneth Cummins.  The complication here is that I am also related to Sammy's Mother, so our DNA match could potentially be to the Holmes side and not the Cummins. I am assuming that my Cummins are the Magilligan branch because my dominant matches are to the McCurrys of Myroe who were fisherfolk in between Magilliagn and Moville. The Gedmatch No for my Mum, who is 94 and still kicking, is A340760.

Hi, I just tested your mum’s Gedmatch with my father and myself, we both share 0cm’s.

I have also tested Cummings’ Gedmatch kits from the Limavady area, I do not match with them either. I think there is definitely two different families in the Limavady/Magilligan area.

I was told that the Cummings branch came from the Glasgow area originally. I have tested my own line with Big Y and mostly have southern Scotland matches.

I have no idea why there are two different surname spellings in the Limavady area. I am sure it’s possibly an NPE, or just two separate families that lived in close proximity. It has always mystified  me, my father insists we are all from the same line, though I am consistently not finding any genetic links!

Offline Summerhill

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 05 March 21 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi OwenC

There were two Cummings Families in the Magilligan Area. There were Cummings in Tircrevan  and Cummings in Ballycarton.  My 5X Great Grandfather George Cummings was born in Paisley, Scotland , in 1778 and came to Limavady in early 1800's.  The Tircreven Cummings and Ballycarton Cummings were related.  I dont know if you have this book but there is quite a lot of records of Cummings families who attended Magilligan Presbyterian Church.  Its called The Presbyterians of Magilligan Ancestry Guide 1600-1900 by S.T Mc Cracken.

Offline owenc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 05 March 21 21:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi OwenC

There were two Cummings Families in the Magilligan Area. There were Cummings in Tircrevan  and Cummings in Ballycarton.  My 5X Great Grandfather George Cummings was born in Paisley, Scotland , in 1778 and came to Limavady in early 1800's.  The Tircreven Cummings and Ballycarton Cummings were related.  I dont know if you have this book but there is quite a lot of records of Cummings families who attended Magilligan Presbyterian Church.  Its called The Presbyterians of Magilligan Ancestry Guide 1600-1900 by S.T Mc Cracken.

Hi Summerhill, I have communicated with S on several different occasions. I think that I briefly touched on this book, as far as I know there is little on my 'Cummins' line in the book - at least prior to 1814. I do have access to all of the Cummins records in the Magilligan Presbyterian church, the difficulty is that a lot of the names are used repeatedly so it is difficult to assign these people to my tree. I do know that my GG and GGG Grandfather was Christened there.

As I said in the previous post, I don't match autosomally with any of the 'Cumming's' branches in the Limavady area. I know that there was two separate branches at least as far back to the 1831 census and perhaps the 1740 census.

1831 Cummins - https://bit.ly/3sT7vup

1831 Cuming - https://bit.ly/3egYLdw

I am not sure that these two branches are related or if my line is an NPE, through adoption or some other means.