Author Topic: Blyth History.  (Read 180625 times)

Offline pityackafromblyth

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Blyth History.
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 11 November 10 12:33 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone recall the RAF air-sea rescue launches which were based at Blyth, both during the war, and afterwards, possibly into the late fifties.  If we were down at the beach, and especially the small beach between the piers, to see the launch come down the river, then pass the harbour bar, it would open up full power, and it was a sight to see.  There was an article in the Mail on Sunday, "Live" magazine a few months back about the launches, and I think one featured, and which had been fully restored, had, in fact, been based at Blyth.  It was a very good article with several colour photographs.
I also recall the tide tables, and the ship arrivals and departures lists, which were published in the Blyth News - Mondays and Thursdays?, because I am sure it was published twice a week in the 40s & 50s.  When we were down at the beach in the summer ships seemed to be coming into harbour, and sailing out every half hour.  But that might be my memory playing tricks.  One collier was a 10,000 tons, and it looked massive compared to the usual ones.  It may have been the 'Nairnbank'.  We used to fish for poddlers on the Cambois side.  Go across on the small ferry, and fish from one of the jetties near the Seven Stars Pub.  I was told "when Aa was a lad" that the Seven Stars was the nearest pub in England to Norway.  That gem of information has stuck with me all my life, but I do not know if it was true.  Any observations, anyone ? Also we used to winkling on the rocks at Cambois.  Those ladders on the sea side of the sea wall seemed never ending when you were 7-8 years of age.

Offline Malcommon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 11 November 10 14:23 GMT (UK) »
I think the pub that is claimed to be nearest to Norway is the one on the end of the main street in Newbiggin. ( where the buses turn around).
Malcolm.

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 11 November 10 14:51 GMT (UK) »
One of those launches went up in flames, exploded and sank. Quite when I do no know but I have seen a photo of the aftermath.

Philip
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 12 November 10 13:57 GMT (UK) »
Re the RAF launches, if you can turn anything up on the internet re the Mail on Sunday article, you will find it very interesting.  It was about 4 pages with great photos on the refurbished launch.

Next point of interest :  Does anyone know where 'Haughton Terrace', Blyth was.  Digging into family history and there is reference to one member living at that address.  I was wondering if it is spelled correctly, or should it be 'Horton Terrace.' ?  The item I have come across refers to that address in 1924.

Thanks in anticipation.
Pityackafromblyth

Offline Bill_r

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 12 November 10 15:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi. Haughton Terrace is next street over from Coomassie Road. Giomg up Princess Louis road.

Bill.
Names.
Anderson, Balmer, Bell, Bulmer, Burn, Cowan, Ferguson, Easton, Elliott, Heir, Hunter, Johnstone, Leadbitter, Riley, McMenan.

Places.
Ashington, Blyth, Gateshead, Hirst, Leeds, Middlesbrough, Newcastle, North Shields, Ryhope, South Shields, Tweedmouth, Whitehaven, Ireland.

Offline Bill_r

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 12 November 10 15:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi. Haughton Terrace is next street over from Coomassie Road. Going up Princess Louis road.

Bill.

Pityacka.

I tried to upload a map but it failed to appear.

My wife lived in Coomassie Road many years ago. If your going inbetween Charlton's bakery and what used to be Yorks fish shop up Princess Louise Road its the first street on your right.

Bill.
Names.
Anderson, Balmer, Bell, Bulmer, Burn, Cowan, Ferguson, Easton, Elliott, Heir, Hunter, Johnstone, Leadbitter, Riley, McMenan.

Places.
Ashington, Blyth, Gateshead, Hirst, Leeds, Middlesbrough, Newcastle, North Shields, Ryhope, South Shields, Tweedmouth, Whitehaven, Ireland.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Blyth History
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 13 November 10 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Billr, after I posted my query, I decided to Google the name as spelled, and there it was still in existence.  Some family member lived at Folly Road, Blyth, and that was a subject here on Rootschat 3 weeks ago.  It is now called Park Road. After that he moved to Haughton Terrace, sometime after WWI., dying there in 1924.
Regards, pityackafromblyth.

Offline Suzi_que

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 14 November 10 16:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi we're new to the site and were interested in this thread as my daughter is researching the history of the building now used as a Spiritualist Church on Wheatridge Row.  Does anyone know if this is the building that used to be a Presbyterian Church or have any history about it?  We know the foundation stone was laid in 1928 by a Mr W Armstrong and there are a number of bricks on one wall with names on amongst them there is one for Monkwearmouth Church and the other Ferryhill Church.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.  It started as a school RE project but we have both becoem very interested in discovering how the Spiritualist Church came to be.

Many Thanks

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 15 November 10 12:09 GMT (UK) »
I do not know where Wheatridge Road is in Blyth, but I believe there has always been a relatively strong following for the spiritualist movement in the town.  When about 7-8 years of age, and stopping at my grandmothers, some of her sisters and friends went  to the "spooky" meetings, at a spiritualist meeting place.  Overhearing their conversations used to frighten me at times.