Author Topic: Blyth History.  (Read 179677 times)

Offline Wilkinson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Blyth History.
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 28 October 10 21:53 BST (UK) »
I remember all that as I lived around the corner in Delaval Gardens.  Tiny Miller's son (Terry) was a mate of mine. Terry somehow got hold of a BSA rifle (slug gun) and we used to go to the red rocks for target practice - using a fishing float propped up on a rock - until we got caught with it. Terry lived in the house next to the bottom Dodds shop. His Dad would take us into the cabin from time to time. I worked for Fred Greener, delivering papers for many years.  Used to meet the 6.02 a.m train and wheel the papers down from the station to the shop in the station cart. I got extra money for that.  Played in the timber yard and went to the boys club.  Used to slide down the pitheaps on an old piece of conveyor belt. Who remembers "the crane" with the shute on it on which we used to climb up or into the engine room? It was parked on rails for a long time not far from the school.  There was an unused Presbyterian Church near the railway line which ran from Seaton Delaval / New Hartley to New Delaval Pit. It used to serve the mining families who lived in the pit rows (including my g grandparents) which by then had been demolished. Moorhens used to nest on the pit lodge and we played near the "yellow babby" stream.   Robson's, the cyle shop, Walter Wilson's etc. have long since gone.  Who remembers the night the Co-op bakery burnt down?  My dad helped get the horses out of the stables while my Mum sat me and my brother on the post box.  Mum had got us out of bed. In the Summer we walked or cycled up to the baths at Humford Woods - sometimes scrumping apples from the farm on the way! If you're interested a guy called Peter Loud who lived just on the end around from the same Dodds shop has a website and has photos of the schools. What was the name of the clothing shop? Was it "Symonds". The Doctors surgery was just around the corner. Drs. Baird and Milne.  Happy uncomplicated days.

Offline pityackafromblyth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 29 October 10 13:10 BST (UK) »
Yes, Wilkinson, happy uncomplicated days, back then. I knew Tiny had a son, but could not remember his name. I think their was also a daughter. Was the shop not Ella Simonds ? It was big for the area, and at Christmas time, their were also toys displayed in the window.  The crane near the pit heaps - it was our battleship, and the braver ones climbed out along the shute which stretched out inside the bullring.  It seemed to stand idle and unused for years.  I recall the fire at the Co-op as we were brought from bed and watched it from the top end of Plessey Road.  As a result of the fire the new bakery was built. Mother's check no. was 10071.(for the divi.)  Can you recall the pitch and toss which took place at the end of the heaps, near the yellow babby?  We would be playing football on the cinder pitch at the end of the park, then you would see the Polis ride up on his bike, alongside the rail line, and the blokes would be running off in all directions.  It may have been P.C. Ballance, as he was the local about that time. The doctors you mention were our doctors. New Delaval pit manager- Mr. Myers (?) who lived in that big house near the pit, and it was rumoured that he had a big black dog, which had false teeth.  We al believed it.  I can also recall motor cycle racing in the fields on the Horton side of the managers house.  And there was also motor cycle racing on the beach at Blyth.  I will leave it at that for now - it feels like I am in a time machine.

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 29 October 10 21:25 BST (UK) »

The Newcastle Weekly Chronicle between 5 Oct 1872 and 25 Apr 1874 ran a feature called " Our Colliery Villages"

The 61st one done by their roving reporter , edition dated 3 May 1873" covered the A-Z of Newsham and New Delaval.

He writes about miners living in " old Delaval"  brought in daily to New Delaval because there were not enough housing for them around the pit.

" Delaval has an nexcellant and well attended colliery school which Newsham has not. Newsham however has privies whereas at New Delaval the village schoolmaster is the only man sufficiently refined to be allowed such a luxury."

He also says ND is well lit as the colliery allows the village to use the pit's gas.

And that the " news room" is well used as " it has no rival on the spot to contend with in the shape of a public house, for there is not one nearer than the Black Diamond at Newsham "

And lots more.

But just to keep you New Delaval folk in check, be aware of what he wrote
( 20 Sep 1873) about my birth-colliery, Bebside, " Each house has it's own privy and ashpit at the rear and everything offensive is kept out of sight and carried away by the drainage. The backs of the stone rows of Bebside are in striking contrast to those of many of it's neighbours"

But he did not like the situation where the only access to the upstairs room was " by the old-fashioned and dangerous ladder"
--------------------------------------------------------

Newcastle library conveniently extracted each weekly article and reproduced them all in one book. "Our Colliery Villages"

Michael
Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline emmadog

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 04 November 10 17:37 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know if the book "True Tales of Blyth" by Jim Harland is still available to buy?  I seem to think I heard about it on RootsChat.

I mentioned it to my aunt and she said she knew the author but that's all.

Barbara
DURHAM - Johnson
NORTHUMBERLAND - Hunter,  Pigdon, Hansen, Waddell?, Turnbull
LANCASHIRE - Crabtree
SCOTLAND - Mallachin or Mallichan or Mallaghan
NORWAY - Hansen

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 04 November 10 22:44 GMT (UK) »

Jim Harland  used to play cricket for Blyth, and sing/act for the Pheonix Theatre in Blyth, and play cricket for the Phoenix cricket time, was a sports reporter (football) on local television- as well as writing one of the several books published about Blyth.

I have seen his book in local libraries and for sale at that bric-a-brac market on Tynemouth Metro Station platforms on Sats and Suns.

Michael
Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 05 November 10 00:11 GMT (UK) »
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

Offline Malcommon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 05 November 10 20:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, I have been in Touch wit Jim Harland and here is his reply,  he has given me his personal phone number so if anybody is interested I will give you his number if you send me a Personal Message.
Malcolm.

Hi Malcolm, Unfortunately True Tales of Blyth and Other Places is sold out although it is available to borrow from North East libraries.  My latest book is BLYTH Memories which came out four weeks ago and is selling extremely quickly.  If your friend is interested in this one I can send it to her post free.  It costs £9.99.  Because of the interest in the new book I am being asked for True Tales by others but I don’t think I’ll run to a second edition as I am already compiling the 2011 edition of BLYTH Memories.  Incidentally I have written a novel set in a ficticious pit village (Hartford) during the early 1930’s and it is almost sold out.  There are only 14 remaining in my keeping – this one also is in the local libraries.

Offline Wilkinson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 06 November 10 19:00 GMT (UK) »
I understand Jim Harland has just published another book in a similar style as the last one. Don't know the details but understand they are on sale in various shops in Blyth

Offline Wilkinson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 06 November 10 19:02 GMT (UK) »
Whoops. Posted this at the same time as the previous post.