Author Topic: Blyth History.  (Read 179635 times)

Offline Cowpen Quay Exile

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Blyth History.
« Reply #396 on: Saturday 11 August 18 15:58 BST (UK) »
I believe the pond nearest to turn off to Robsons' Farm is now a feature of Blyth Golf club .

Offline HenryWood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: Sunday 12 August 18 15:07 BST (UK) »
I believe the pond nearest to turn off to Robsons' Farm is now a feature of Blyth Golf club .

Thanks for that, Cowpen Quay Exile - I've not been down that way for many, many years and though I've not physically seen the golf course I have "explored" it online. Quite impressive considering what was there before.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: Sunday 12 August 18 17:48 BST (UK) »
There was the Tower Lodging House at the bottom end of Disraeli Street behind a row of shops on Regent Street . When it eventually closed it was the site of a joinery workshop and later became a garage and body repair shop . The back area of the building housed crisp factory viz :- Tudor Crisps .

Offline TriciaK

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 19:00 GMT (UK) »
A recent obituary in the Guardian - Marcus Price, who was born and grew up in Blyth:
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/oct/10/marcus-price-obituary
I vaguely remember him - he was a little older than me .
He did well in his men's clothing business. Started in Blyth , then moved to Newcastle.
 He had some famous customers, including
http://oldnovocastrian.blogspot.com/2010/10/newcastle-in-film-dont-look-back.html
Knott - Northumberland; Yorkshire (?Bridlington.)
Fenwick, Johnston - Northumberland.
Dixon; Hutchinson - York.
Shaw - ? Glasgow

Offline pityackafromblyth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: Wednesday 12 December 18 18:13 GMT (UK) »
I have spent the last 40 minutes looking for videos of The Corries, and found them; which led to exploring all their songs and talents - which led to a video of them playing the Northumbrian Pipes. and which led to searches for the Northumbrian Pipes.
That turned up on Google( I think), Cloughs of Newsham, the renowned Northumbrian Pipe players for many a generation.  In the 3 minute 'display' there are photographs of the family at different stages of the generations, together with photos of where the family worked and lived -The Willow Tree, The Isabella Pit, and Newsham Railwayway station.

Offline peteloud

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Blyth History - Cloughs of Newsham
« Reply #401 on: Wednesday 12 December 18 19:25 GMT (UK) »
pityackafromblyth.
There is a book "The Clough Family of Newsham" published by the Northumbrian Pipers Society which has a lot of information on the Cloughs, their tunes and background.  I have most of the Clough tunes in my book, "Pete Loud's Collection of Northumbrian & Tyneside Traditional Fiddle Tunes". http://www.peterloud.co.uk/tunebook/index.html

Tom Clough would play in the Willow Tree with Jim Bainbridge a fiddle player who lived in a cottage just up from The Willow Tree.  The cottage became a motorbike shop in the 1960s.  I have a fiddle made by Jim Bainbridge.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: Thursday 13 December 18 15:10 GMT (UK) »
 I believe that Tom Clough was also great " spoons " player

Offline jojotou

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 12:49 GMT (UK) »
I’ve had a great couple of hours reading through the 45 pages of this thread. My grandfather came from Blyth, although his birth is listed as Seaton Delaval. He was Edward Giles Fryer born in 1897. So many of the words have filtered through the family even though I’m a second generation Australian! My great uncle Walter died when he fell down a mine shaft at Bedlington Colliery in 1958. Even though I’m a female, I was named for my great grandfather Joseph Fryer. Hopefully this year or next I’ll get over there and see what’s left of where they come from  :)

Offline pityackafromblyth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: Saturday 23 March 19 14:25 GMT (UK) »
I have just discovered this site earlier today - " www.burradonhistory.co.uk  "  Possibly many members here on the Northumberland Page are aware of it.  It is well worth a look - it also covers Northumberland, AND, - Blyth, Cowpen, etc with maps, photos, etc.,etc.