Author Topic: Help from Guernsey  (Read 15262 times)

Offline Allan_Jean

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help from Guernsey
« on: Saturday 09 October 10 16:38 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have only just joined this website and people have already helped me. So if I can help anyone with info from Guernsey I would be pleased to do so. But please remember I am a complete novice at this but having had my appetite wetted in doing research for my wife's ancestry I have enjoyed the digging in archives very much.

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Help from Guernsey
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 October 10 20:22 BST (UK) »
hi allan Jean  and welcome to rootschat. I have ancestors in Guernsey and my only way of finding out more was to visit the island in April. I visited the record office who were very helpful and I came home with a load of records, Im sure otrhers not in the position to visit will be thrilled at your offer opf help---you may be inundated.
Ringrose
Mann Ringrose Prior( West London)Prior (Halstead Colchester and Sudbury)Ringrose (Northants) Clark(sussex  Bath)Light(Shropshire West London)Barber(Northants)Gaudern (Northants)Piper(Suffolk)Carter (Essex)Nightingale,Stiles,Dunk,Hedgecock(Kent)Mann(south Devon )Le Cronier,Le Quesne,Poingdestre,Esnouf,Le Guyt,Anley.Le Carteret(Jersey)Clark(Bath,Batcombe,and Nyland )
er(essex)Nightingale(kent Sussex)Sutton (sussex)

Offline horatiosdaughter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Look Up Request Guernsey
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 October 10 21:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Allan_Jean

Thank you for offering to look up the archive.  I am longing to find out more about my g.g.g.grandfather Octavius Toulmin PITTER b. around 1800-1808 in St Peter Port.    His parents were Thomas Pitter and Catherine Toulmin.  I would really appreciate any baptism info you can find.

I have found various children on IGI born to Thomas and Catherine bapt in Westminster London between 1789 and 1797 and am intriged as to why the family moved to Guernsey.  Catherine died in Jersey, as did Octavius, but I would love to know a burial date for Thomas Pitter and if it was in Guernsey.

Offline Allan_Jean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 October 10 15:53 BST (UK) »
Hi

Managed to do a bit of digging for you and found the deatails of Octavius' babtism at the Town Church.

Here is a transcript of the entry:

"1808 - Octavius-Toulmin, the son of Thomas Pitter & of Catherine Toulmin his wife, was born on 29th August 1808 & babtised on the 20th of September following, had tfor sponsors Thomas Pitter, Charles Stanbury and Anne Pitter."

Hope this helps will try and do a bit more digging when I get a chance.

Regards

Allan

Offline horatiosdaughter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 October 10 19:27 BST (UK) »
Thats wonderful, thank you so much.  I had thought that info was outside my reach, unless I made the trip to Guernsey, and as tempting that is, I dont think funds will stretch to it at the moment.  If you can dig anything at all up about the family I greatly appreciate it.

Thanks again
Christine ;D

Offline Georgie9528

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 29 November 10 01:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Allan,
Have only last night (Sydney time) joined RootsChat.com and have been given some very interesting info from Guernsey that may turn out to be what I have been looking for for the past two years!

I am researching my husband's ancestor, George Daniel Cleall who married Frances Roberts in Salisbury, South Australia, iin 1987 in the house of George Cleall (his father).  (I have copy of the marriage certificate)  Certificate states that my George Daniel was 29 at time of his marriage.

I have been unable to find DOB and place of birth for my George Daniel until last night when one of the RootsChat members provided me with the following info:-

Channel Islands Births and Baptisms, 1820-1907 - George Daniel Claill - birth - 21 Sep 1843 - Guernsey, Channel islands.
Father's name: - George Claill;  Mother's name:- Mary Anne Drew
Batch number - 102948-9
Source film number - 473983

Is there any chance that you may be able to delve into my George Daniel Claill ???? Any other info in Guernsey? 

Anything at all would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thank you so much and I look forward to hearing back from you.,

Regards
Georgie
GEORGE CLEALL
CAROLINE SANDFORD

Offline johnbrown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 16 January 11 19:42 GMT (UK) »
This is very helpful off you, I am trying to track down any records of KNIGHTS or LA SOUSE ( I think this is the corredt spelling ? ) and any help prior to my forthcoming visit to the islands in May would be gratefully recieved Thank you in advance  John Brown

Moderator's Note: if anyone can help please post a reply on this thread-
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,507579.msg3640938.html

Offline Pebbles Kernow

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 09:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Allen_Jean

I am hoping you might have some time to look for a birth / baptism please.

It's for a George Brend or Cooper or Cooper Brend.
Sorry we think his parents were Thomas Brend (possibly spelt Brind) and Sarah Cooper. But we're not sure if they married and by what name he was registered.
Also he was born somewhere around 1852 - 1855 (we think!)

We do know that Thomas and Sarah were at Kings Mills, The Catel on the 1851 census.

Being really cheeky could you also have a look for any marriage between Thomas and Sarah.

And finally if you happen to find a death for Thomas that would help solve a few queries    ;)

I'm really really sorry about being so cheeky but any help you can give me would be much appreciated.

Thanks again, Pebs

PS this is all to do with my scavenger hunt - I know that you can link the topics but I haven't worked out how to do that yet - when I can, I will   ;D

Edit: I've found out how   :)

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,507908.0.html

Offline chacha

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 01 February 11 19:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello Allen and Jean,
 I am trying to find a elizabeth geoghegan born on guernsey in 1853 or 54 at the moment I do not have her parents names so I was wondering if you could advise me on how to get into the guernsey census or birth records as I am new at doing this.
 I do intend to send for her marriage cetificate in time as that will tell me who her parents were(she is my wifes great grandmother.

Moderator comment: Related topic here

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,510801.0.html