Author Topic: Joel SINGLETON/Mary PATCH  (Read 12620 times)

Offline Reg Singleton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Joel SINGLETON/Mary PATCH
« on: Friday 08 April 05 11:15 BST (UK) »
Joel Singleton of Chilton? or Chillington? Somerset married Mary Patch, 6th May 1760 at Seaborough, Dorset. Which is now in Somerset.
Has anyone any information on either family's members, at or prior to this time.
Thank you,
Reg

Offline M Singleton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: SINGLETON/PATCH
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 February 11 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Joel Singleton is definitely from Chillington. I have just returned from a visit to Somerset, to see Chillington and to do some research at the new Somerset Heritage Centre in Taunton. The microfiche copies of the parish registers include the marriage banns - these were read at Chillington church from the 20th April 1760 for Joel Singleton and Mary Patch of Seaborough. The registers survive only from 1750 and even then there is a gap between 1762 - 1780. The centre also has the bishop's transcripts for Chillington, including a hard-to-read reference to the birth of Edward Singleton, son of William and Jean? Singleton, March 2nd 1678. I wonder if this is the same Edward who married Joan Shole from Dowlish Wake (a neighbouring parish) in 1718. The date is interesting, as it may dispel the theory of the link with Southwell, Nottingham.

Offline csingleton73

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Joel SINGLETON/Mary PATCH
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 March 11 06:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi M Singleton,

My ancestors come from Chillington as well. Not from the Joel Singleton branch but from John Singleton born about 1733. I have identified all the Singletons from Chillington from the 1841 census and Parish records, and formed a family tree to try to identify how are they all related and where they came from. I have 8 different branches (3 main and 5 unidentified individuals).

Chillington Parish records start around 1750, I find really interesting your visit to the SHC in Taunton. I live in Mexico I wish I could do that trip and find out more.

So basically I'd like to ask you if you would like to be in touch an find out if our families are somehow related, or if we can have ancestors in common and share info.

Also, I found really interesting that you might have a clue of where did the Chillington Singletons came from ( Nottingham maybe).

Hope to hear from you. Regards, Carlos Singleton

Offline M Singleton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 March 11 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carlos,

It is good to here from you. My visit to Somerset confirmed that Joel lived in Chillington but I was unable to find any links further back. It is possible that John and Joel were brothers, as there were only a few Singletons at that time. How does your line descend from John? I am not sure about the Nottinghamshire link - I had seen this suggestion elsewhere. There was mention of a William Singleton in Chillington born circa 1659, which pre-dates the supposed link to Samuel and Francis Singleton of Southwell. Certainly the Singleton name does not appear much in Somerset. The surname implies an original connection with either the village in Lancashire or the one in Sussex. I am trying to arrange another visit to the SHC, but to look at the various deeds, surveys, etc. This would appear to be the main way forward to discover more links, as the parish records start quite late. I would be interested to be in touch and share our research.

Best Regards,
Martin Singleton (Oxford)

Offline csingleton73

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 March 11 06:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Martin,

It's good to hear from you as well. Sure, let's be in touch to find out more about the Singletons from Chillington.

Here's my line:

John Singleton
b. abt 1733
m. Elizabeth (possibly Phelps) in 1753

Joan Singleton
b. 2 Oct 1755
never married to John Perry and thus the Singleton name

John Singleton
b. 20 Aug 1780
m. Hannah Hill18 Oct 1808

James Singleton
b. 28 Apr 1824
m. Charlote Hardy 9 Oct 1849

Job Singleton
b. 22 May 1864
Emigrated to America and married Elizabeth Schade 9 Oct 1891

This is the last Singleton born in Chillington (from my line) the rest were born in America and I was born in Mexico City
I have Joel's line I can share what I have from Parish records and census

Do you ever enter the Chatterbox? Hope I can find you there sometime and chat

Keep in touch.

Carlos.

Offline csingleton73

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 March 11 06:36 GMT (UK) »
Martin,

I only have Thomas (b. 1760) as son of Joel Singleton. But Thomas' sons were Thomas, Samuel, Joel, Francis, Benjamin and William which matches the ones you mention from Nottingham. Could be a possibility.

As for Chillington records. There are Bishop's Transcripts from earlier years at the London Family History Center (Mormon Church)

Note Location Film
Baptisms, marriages and burials, 1599-1641 (some years in Latin), 1678, 1689, 1707, 1785, 1790, 1801-1833. (Not complete for all years and some years in poor condition.) FHL BRITISH Film 1278918 Items 9 - 10

Other than that I don't think the Somerset HC has previous records (that I know of).

Regards,

Carlos.

Offline Reg Singleton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 April 11 17:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Martin & Carlos,
sorry I have not been in contact, but I have had a serious head injury and spent 3 months in hospital. I am getting a little better now and hoping to visit Chillington in the next few weeks.
I note your comments on past Singleton's in Chillington prior to Joel and Mary, Joel born about 1730.
Any further information would be appreciated, and did this Joel have any brothers or sisters, or a named mother and father at the time.
I don't know how to e-mail the information on their past family members, but I may be able to post the copies of the off-spring. This may take me some time, as things are not easy for me now.
I will need an address if this is required, you will need plenty of patience with me.
Thank you for any help that will aid my re-visit to Chillington.   
Regards Reg.

Offline csingleton73

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 25 April 11 06:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Reg,

Hope you recover soon, I have been trying to contact you for a while, I figured you were off the computer for some reason. And a head injury is definitely a serious one, take it easy and take care of yourself.

My e-mail is (*) but I'm not sure we should post e-mails here. We'll know soon enough.

I don't have anything beyond Joel. Martin did research the Somerset Heritage Center films for records prior to 1750 but there seems to be no one but one Singleton mentioned in 1678 "the birth of Edward Singleton, son of William and Jean? Singleton, March 2nd 1678. I wonder if this is the same Edward who married Joan Shole from Dowlish Wake (a neighbouring parish) in 1718. The date is interesting, as it may dispel the theory of the link with Southwell, Nottingham".

I made a tree of the Singletons in Chillington, with 3 main branches. 1.-- Edward Singleton born 1763 2.--Thomas Singleton born 1760 (son of Joel) and 3.-- Mary and Joan Singleton born 1754 and 1755 (this is my branch).

Now the relationship between these 3 branches is the big mystery... Don't worry about time, doing genealogy requires patience especially, the important thing is that you recover well.

Keep in touch.

Carlos Singleton

Moderator Comment: email address removed to help prevent spam and other abuses as per RootsChat Policy. Please use our secure PM (personal message) system to share email addresses and other personal information. Thank You.

Note: New members need to make 3 postings before the PM system is fully functional

For Information on How to Send a PM

http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline daves67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 27 April 11 15:52 BST (UK) »
Hi fellow Singletons,

I'm descended from the Winsham Singletons which is not too far from Chillington. Have any of you proven a link between the two villages being related?

Regards,

David Singleton
Singleton