Author Topic: WOOD family, Staffordshire and Barnsley  (Read 17046 times)

Offline Tisy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WOOD family, Staffordshire and Barnsley
« on: Sunday 10 October 10 08:40 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I am researching the Wood family from Staffordshire who in the latter part of the 1800's owned the Wood Bros. Glassworks in Barnsley, Yorkshire.  William Wood worked for the Baccarat Glass  Co. in France prior to joining his brothers in the Barnsley Glassworks. He had two sons, Alphonse and Eugene, both born in France, who also worked at the Barnsley Works.  Is anyone researching this family?

Cheers,

Tisy

Offline woofiewaffles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: WOOD FAMILY, STAFFORDSHIRE AND BARNSLEY
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 October 10 17:30 BST (UK) »
hi there

Not sure how much help I could be, my sister is the real genealogist in the family.  We are decendents of Eugene Wood.  What are you wanting to know and how are you related?

Offline Tisy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: WOOD FAMILY, STAFFORDSHIRE AND BARNSLEY
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 October 10 07:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Woofie,

It is a bit complicated;  first of all, let me say that I don't know whether we are related.  The reason I started the Wood research is because my great-grandfather, William Henry Marshall b. 1857 Barnsley, Yorkshire, was the natural son of Mary Marshall;  he took his mother's name and the family have never been able to find out who his father was.  To this end, we did y-DNA testing, and have come up with many matches to people by the name of Wood, most of whom are Americans whose ancestors migrated between about 1650 and 1780, possibly because of religious persecution in the earlier years.  Most of these ancestors were from Derbyshire and Cheshire and possibly Yorkshire.

It has however now gone beyond my own need to find out where we belong, in that it turns out that most of us have tested to a fairly rare subgroup of the haplogroup R1b1b2, i.e. L20.  It also transpires that we are all closely related, within a timeframe of about 12 to 7 generations.  This subgroup is only about 1800 years old (which is very young in DNA terms), and relatively few people have tested to this group so far.  The name Wood in the northern counties is overly represented, although there are many other names in the group from other parts of the British Isles.  A researcher by the name of Steve Gilbert is conducting a research project into the migration patterns of this group of people and I am assisting with the genealogical stuff.  If you would like to look at the project, let me know and I will email the link.  Getting back to William Henry, the family legend has it that his father was a wealthy man; in the 1871 census he was described as a "glass presser" (aged 13);  he was told to "stand by the gates a 9 o'clock and he would see his father  pass by".  We have wondered whether his father could have been the factory owner.  Any help you could give would be much appreciated.
Cheers,

Tisy

Offline woofiewaffles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: WOOD family, Staffordshire and Barnsley
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 October 10 14:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Tisy

well i wish i could be of more help but in fairness I couldnt confirm whether the factory owner being the father of your ancestor is a possibility or not.  Not sure how that could be checked.  As you are already aware the Woods brothers ran the factory together so it would also be hard to determine which brother.  I wish you the best of luck finding out, it is good to solve these mysteries.  if there is any information that may help likes dates etc let me know and i will try and find out for you.

As for the Dna project again I am probably unable to help as I am living in New zealand so dont know how any of that would work.  However there is family living in the Uk who may be able to help.

thanks Ruth

Offline Tisy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 October 10 22:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruth,

I am in Australia - how is the weather across the ditch?  It's been pretty awful here in Victoria.

With regard to finding out who W.H.'s father was, this would be impossible to prove, but it could be said that if there was a close DNA match with a known male descendant, or even better, two known male descendants of either Eugene or William, then we could say that there was a possibility that either one of them could have been the father.  It would also be interesting for your family if they tested L20, because of the research into this group.  Do you have a brother or male cousin who would fit the bill?  Unfortunately it is not possible to test females as the testing is done on the Y-chromosome which is passed down from father to son.  My brother was able to give a sample for our testing.  The question is, are you descended from the male line, i.e. are you a Wood?

I will contact you privately with my email address;  it is possible that  members of the research project would be willing to sponsor DNA testing, which is merely a matter of taking three cheek swabs and mailing them back to the testing company in America.  I will give you more details privately, and give you the link to the research projects and other research papers which may be of interest.

Many thanks for your response.

Regards,

Tisy

Offline Keresforth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 25 February 14 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I am researching the Wood family from Staffordshire who in the latter part of the 1800's owned the Wood Bros. Glassworks in Barnsley, Yorkshire.  William Wood worked for the Baccarat Glass  Co. in France prior to joining his brothers in the Barnsley Glassworks. He had two sons, Alphonse and Eugene, both born in France, who also worked at the Barnsley Works.  Is anyone researching this family?

Cheers,

Tisy

Offline Keresforth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 25 February 14 16:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi,I am descended from Alphonse John Baptiste Wood, glass manufacturer  born in Baccarat 1842. He was the 3rd son of William Baker Wood, older brothers were William Louis and Eugene, two sisters Hyacinthe Catherine and Clemence eugenie.  He was my great grandfather and I have a family tree going back to George wood in 1770. 
If you are wanting DNA I have two male cousins -one of which is descended through the male line. I could possibly find another 2nd cousin also descended through the male line. Do reply if you want further info
Best wishes

Offline Tisy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 25 February 14 18:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Many thanks for your kind offer - it would be wonderful if we could get the DNA done;  we would probably go for the Geno-2 Test from the Genographic Project which is the most cost effective, but will get some advice from a friendly geneticist as to the best one to go for.  All it entails is the cheek swab - this is sent back to the lab for analysis and the results are available in a few weeks.

Offline Tisy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 25 February 14 18:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Keresforth, 

Would it be possible to let me have the family tree stuff?  We have a close DNA match to an American by the name of Steve Wood whose ancestor migrated to New England sometime in the late 1600's;  he was John Wood and he was probably born near Matlock in Derbyshire around 1650.  He had a brother named Timothy.