Author Topic: WOOD family, Staffordshire and Barnsley  (Read 17011 times)

Offline woofiewaffles

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WOOD family, Staffordshire and Barnsley
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 26 February 14 18:32 GMT (UK) »
Well as to Eugene Wood, only his daughters survived childhood unfortunately, so would not be possible to test the DNA links.

Keresforth would seem we are related, I am Eugene Woods Great Great Grand daughter.  Did your family stay near Barnsley or move away? 

Offline Tisy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 26 February 14 19:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Woofie, I guess it would depend on whether Keresforth's cousins are descended from another branch of the same family - the male line does not have to come from either Eugene or Alphonse - it could be from say a brother of William Baker Wood.  As long as it's from the same family, the DNA will have been passed from father's to sons down all of the branches.  Hopefully this is the case.

Offline Keresforth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 26 February 14 19:44 GMT (UK) »
Sorry struggling a bit with this web site. My cousin Michael is the son of Hugo Wood , son of William Francis John wood, grandson of Alphonse John Baptiste . He actually lives in Australia but is hoping to come over this summer I could ask him if he would be willing for a DNA test or not if you want.  The only other son completely through the male line I am not in Touch with but could possibly trace. Presumably it has to be completely through the male line?  There are lots of males but all the rest that I know of have come through one female I. The line - including my son.
The family tree I have is very large, far too big to copy in any way I'm afraid.
All my family have now left Barnsley since my father Haslam died in 1984 - he was the last wood to run Wood Brothers.

Offline Tisy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 26 February 14 19:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keresforth, 
It sounds like your cousin Michael is descended through the male line, so this would be fine.  The test would be on the Y chromosome, which is passed down from father to son ad infinitum (barring a few mutations along the way).  We would be most grateful if he would agree to test.  I will send you a private message with my email - would you be able to send me the genealogy that way?

Kind regards,

Carol

Offline Keresforth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 26 February 14 20:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I am the great grand daughter of Alphonse Jean Baptiste Wood the younger brother of Eugene. Looking at my family tree I guess you are the daughter of either Sharon Elizabeth or Deborah Michelle who were both born in New Zealand according to this family tree. In Which case we are related!  Had a lot of trouble finding out how to reply to you. Only discovered the website when I googled Wood Brothers as has Barnsley friends staying with me for the weekend and have been finding the factory history in my loft when clearing out.
If you want any family history do let me know, but much of it is pretty hazy apart from this family tree I have dating back to 1770.

Offline Tisy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 26 February 14 20:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keresforth,  do you have your stuff on a family history database such as the one from the Mormon Church?  If so, you could send a "gedcom" which is a compressed file and will easily send by email.

Regards,

Carol

Offline woofiewaffles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 27 February 14 22:42 GMT (UK) »
Actually Sharon and Deborah are my sisters, there are also four younger brothers.  So yes we are definitely related.  I do remember Dad mentioning the name Haslam Wood, but cant remember much moor than that.  My sister Sharon and I Live in New Zealand and Deborah died in infancy.  two of my brothers live in the Uk and two in NZ.  My dad is David Bottoms, but his older brother Reg is still alive and two of his children live in the Uk whilst one son is currently living in Australia.  My sister has been researching the family back in France and has gone back to the early 1700's on some lines.  Anyway very nice to make your acquaintance.

Ruth (woofiewaffles)

Offline woofiewaffles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 27 February 14 22:44 GMT (UK) »
I just reread what I had written, my father is also still alive, but he lives in Castleford now.

Offline woofiewaffles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 28 February 14 00:02 GMT (UK) »
Just a question, do you have any information about cousin Rene (William Louis Rene Wood) Hes the son of the oldest of the three brothers and he lived with Eugene Wood at some point. I know he was a doctor in Ossett.  Not sure why he lived with them but I know dad tells me, granny (Florence Juliette Wood) said he used to put phosphorus in their camber pots.  Did he have any decedent's?   Just wondering if you know?

Ruth