Author Topic: Whereabouts of Buthkollidar, nr Dunoon  (Read 20197 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Whereabouts of Buthkollidar, nr Dunoon
« on: Friday 08 April 05 12:55 BST (UK) »
Hi, Everyone,
This is my first tentative posting on a North-of-the-Border query.  In the 1881 Census, I discovered a Daniel and Betsey Dyson, both aged 65, living at "Buthkollidar, Cott. No. 2, Dunoon and Kilmun".  Does this address exist today, or might it have been a farm or farm dwelling..?"
Very best wishes,
keith

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Whereabouts of Buthkollidar, nr Dunoon
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 April 05 13:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith,

It would now appear to be the name of a caravan & camping park in the Bullwood area south of the town of Dunoon.  The postcode of the park is PA23 7QN.  I would think that the park got its name from the name of farm dwellings/crofts that used to be there.  The name doesn't appear on the current OS map or the old maps of the area.  Hope that helps.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 April 05 13:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for that, Nell.  In fact, I've just realised that we know a family who live in Dunoon, and I'll give them a ring tonight about this...
Keith

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 May 05 10:47 BST (UK) »
Talking to myself again, but apparently at the present time "Buthkollidar" is pronounced by the locals as "Balaclava".  Now there's a surprise, and as far-fetched as some of those little places in Norfolk, for instance.
The place I lived in near Glasgow when I was about 4-5 years old. Milnegavie was/ and is pronounced Mill-guy...
Keith

Offline Thrall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 August 05 16:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith,  I have a little info re.Buthkollidar as I found my g.grandfather, coachman, in the next house to your Dyson, who was gardener, I see at the same time. Buthkollidar was a large dwelling house just outside Dunoon about 150yds. from the sea. The proprietor was a John Mannifold. The house itself was "allowed" to burn down between the wars and a row of small houses built on the land. An unusual feature is the gardener´s and coachman´s houses which are semidetached and still extant, most attractive and built of concrete. One is called Buthkollidar Cottage, the other escapes me. The locals seemed to understand my phonetic pronunciation, and the mechanic at the Balaclava Garage opposite was most helpful and informative. Kollid was a pirate and Buth is from the norse buğ, a house. Contact me for any further info.

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 August 05 00:48 BST (UK) »
Hi, Thrall (and welcome to Rootschat!),
Amazing that this small thread has lain dormant for over 3 months, and now someone like you pops up with genuine - and fascinating - local knowledge on the subject.  I've since discovered that the "Balaclava" pronunciation is not indeed the way that Buthkollidar has become to be pronounced, an aberration on the part of a local contact of mine; though the Balaclava Garage might seem to give some substance to this theory.
I would be very interested in anything else you might have on the subject, and find it very exciting that you have a direct ancestor who was part of the John Manifold workforce too!
Very best wishes,
Keith

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 27 August 05 05:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith and Thrall,

Please excuse my butting in here.  The post caught my eye because of the mention of Dunoon - my children's ancestor, Margaret (LOCHTIE) PHILP of Fife, died in Argyle St Dunoon in 1861 at her daughter's residence.

A Google for Buthkollidar gets quite a few hits - including one referring to the MANIFOLDs.  The caravan park is listed as being at Bullwood.  Bullwood is on Multimap but I couldn't find Buthkollidar there.

However, Bullwood does appear as a place in Argyllshire on the oldmaps site.  And scrolling around from there finds Buthkollidar.
The co-ordinates reference is:
Grid Ref: 215646,672833

If you are scrolling, go down along the coast from Bull Rock past Glengarr and Hoop House and you will find it.  If you get to Cluniter you've gone too far.

Cheers,

JAP
PS: Good to see you've moving away from South Britain, Keith ;)   Time to start polishing up the credit card for some searches on ScotlandsPeople?

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 27 August 05 10:27 BST (UK) »
Hi, Jap,
It's always good to diversify and spread one's horizons  isn't it!  (That's the wonderful aspect about Family History research, doing it in a retrospective way, though).  The Dunoon air I imagine to be extremely bracing, and I do intend to take a trip up there in the not too distant future.
And thanks very much that all that info about Buthkollidar, as my initial enquiries had drawn a bit of a blank.  Now two excellent responses within a day brings the whole thing to life again..
Keith

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 27 August 05 11:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith,

Mine was in no way an 'excellent' response - Thrall's response definitely was!  Mine completely peripheral.

My children's ancestor's daughter's husband (think I've got that right) James MITCHELL was a draper in Argyle St Dunoon when Margaret (LOCHTIE) PHILP died there in 1861 (as PHILIP); Margaret's daughter Jessie Lochtie MITCHELL died there in 1876.

Being on the other side of the world, I can't take a trip to the bracing air of Dunoon.  But some of the info I've seen in the past suggests that it truly was bracing - and that many people (including TB sufferers) went to convalescent hospitals there.

Cheers,

JAP
(in my initials the P stands for PHILIP - spelled any which way over the years)