Author Topic: Whereabouts of Buthkollidar, nr Dunoon  (Read 20160 times)

Offline museum man 2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Whereabouts of Buthkollidar, nr Dunoon
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 21 August 08 16:02 BST (UK) »
Trying to do this systematically, Have consulted 1850 map which shows a large portion of land leased to John Manifold. The plots either side are fully measured and were owned by the Powell family. ( Sir Francis - very famous watercolourist)

The Manifold plot must extend  about a half mile along the shore. It has the house Buthkollidar drawn in ,and about two thirds the size,at exactly the 3 mile stone from Dunoon it has a building designated as Offices. More towards Innellan there is a smaller building.  I have taken a picture of the plan. I think the original lease was dated 1836 and by 1888 there were 4 leases when the land was sold to James Hamilton Dunn , writer in Paisley

Thrall: Was your g grandfather Duncan Campbell the blacksmith at Toward? I have seen a land transaction which refers to sale of a plot on behalf of the deceased in 1907.

Offline Thrall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 22 August 08 01:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that, Museum Man 2;

I am really trying to find out the age of the two joined houses, Buthkollidar Cottage and ?Murrayfield?, I can´t quite remember the name of the righthand house i.e. whether this is the house my family lived in, or a previous one.

If you scroll back to the former posts on this subject, you will see my family.
Sorry I´m not connected to Duncan Campbell, blacksmith, at Toward, but  great grandson of Duncan Campbell, coachman and gardener at Buthkollidar, and grandson of Dun Campbell, sic, bank manager of the Clydesdale, and session clerk, lived in Seaforth, Innellan.

John Manifold died in late December 1887, hence the sale thereafter. He was  titled  "retired sugar refiner" on the DC, but on censuses called himself "magistrate".

Any further information about the "big house" and its demise would be welcome. Any photographs?

Thank you again for your input.

Thrall

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 03 September 08 09:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone,
Just a passing note to say what a wonderful time I had in Dunoon last week at the Cowal Games - had no idea how enormously long that caber is.  Even though the man mountains warmed up by nonchalantly flinging a 56-pound weight (backwards) over a bar about 14 feet off the ground, only one or two completed a successful toss.
The pipe bands were what drew me most of all, the Black Bottle Isle of Islay band won about three trophies in their category and as they were staying in our hotel you can imagine that nobody got much sleep on Saturday night.
Didn't have any time for family history, I'm afraid, just gazed wistfully up the hill at the Museum building each time I passed and imagined having a look in there next time.
And, amazingly, the threatened rain never properly materialised...
Regards, keith

Offline prophetess

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 03 September 08 18:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith
Glad you enjoyed the Games, I didn't go myself but had the pleasure of listening to some of the bands warming up on my doorstep almost, I did watch the march through the town on the webcam as with some of the fellow chatters from the chat room, next time give me a shout and I will put the coffee on :), loved seeing everyone doing the Hokey Cokey as one of the bands played it,
Sybil
ORKNEY
FLETT, CLOUSTON,  WHISHART, SCOTT, BRUCE,
ABERDEEN AREA:THOMSON, ROSIE, CHAFFEY, ALLAN,               
GLASGOW;STEWART,  SPENCE,  DOUGLAS, BLACK , KEAYS(KEYS), MITCHELL,    JOHNSTON,  FLETT,  ALLAN, CALLAGHAN, JENKS,FINLAY,SMELLIE,TYSON

MORAYSHIRE: ALLAN, INNES, MCPHAIL, MATHEWS, STEWART, MCKENZIE, MCLEAN, PLOWMAN, MASSON, 
IRELAND:DOUGLAS,BLACK,McAULAY,KEAYS,TWEED,MITCHELL,
 ENGLAND: JENKS, WALKER,BALDWIN, HURST,PHILLIPS, CHAFFEY, ROBERTSON, ALLAN;JOHNSON, AMEY,Corston,Race

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 04 October 09 09:56 BST (UK) »
Hello I am new to this but was doing some surfing looking for places in Dunoon Kilmun and your discussion on the pronunciation of Buthkollidar caught my eye.
   My g.g.g.grandparent Alexander Grierson was recorded in the 1851 Census as being resident at Baluacaber Dunnoon Kilmun.
  Would this be the same place?
     He married Helen McKellar, daughter of Peter McKellar and Margaret Campbell, Margaret Campbell was the daughter of Duncan Campbell and Nancy McNaught. I am stuck at this point can any one point me in the right direction?
Ireland: Taylor, Clark, Doyle, Pollock,Boyle
England: Toogood, Long, Ford, Lander, King, Dye,Copeman, Heness, Gardner, Robertson, Cameron, Sherwen, Bell 
Scotland: Campbell, McNaughtan, McKellar

Offline Thrall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 04 October 09 18:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Wyanga, can you tell me the names of the properties on either side of Baluacaber in the 1851 census?
I am not very optimistic about this name/pronunciation change, but I do have the valuation roll for the Shore Road Dunoon to Innellan and could confirm whether the correct properties were on one or other side - if they were built in 1851!

Guid hunting, and a very warm welcome to RootsChat.

Thrall

Offline Thrall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 04 October 09 19:37 BST (UK) »
Hi again, I had a quick look at the O.S. map 1inch from 1854-69, and the name Buthkollidar is there, along with Cluniter, the next house to the south, so it was in use in that survey with that spelling.

Thrall

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 04 October 09 23:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Thrall
             Thank you for your reply. I am at a loss on this as I am another downunder participant in this interchange, hence my trouble with the pronunciation ! I only have access to the Ancestry transcription of the 1851 census , not the original, which would allow for more detail re the adjoining houses. I have also found that sometimes the transcriptions do not always faithfully replicate what is in the original.
           I visited Glasgow a couple of years ago on my ancestral search but did not get up to Dunoon or Kilmun. All of this discussion makes me feel like returning and visiting the area as there is so much more to be researched in the area.
    Wyanga
Ireland: Taylor, Clark, Doyle, Pollock,Boyle
England: Toogood, Long, Ford, Lander, King, Dye,Copeman, Heness, Gardner, Robertson, Cameron, Sherwen, Bell 
Scotland: Campbell, McNaughtan, McKellar

Offline Thrall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 05 October 09 02:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Wyanga, I had a look at the census return on S.P. and am swithering between Baluacaber and Balnacaber. Neither option bows to Google.
Although the name is written three times, I am not certain.
He certainly seems to have been an enterprising gent., your Alexander with a wife forty years his junior, her family living in and his brother in law the only wage earner as an ag. lab. What does his D.C. reveal?
Strange to see his daughter Helen in two extracted entries with the same date but three years apart. A mistake or early death?
I.G.I doesn´t reveal much in Wigton except that someone was busy with a tree submitting eighteen years ago!

Guid hunting,

Thrall