Author Topic: ancestry info Murray from Barvas  (Read 12032 times)

Offline Patandjohnuk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ancestry info Murray from Barvas
« Reply #9 on: Monday 11 October 10 22:07 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
Yes that is my husbands grandfather born in 1881, parents John and Christina Murray. 
I have found most of his brothers and sisters now and believe some of them emigrated to Canada and Neil was killed in the first world war. but there is still lots more to learn.
Grandfather John Murray emigrated to South Africa and married Agnes Wilson also from Scotland, think they married in South Africa but am still searching for that information.  Their son Neil William John (my husbands father) was born in Cullinan SA in 1908 and their daughter Jeanie King was born in 1909 at the same place.  So i am assuming they were married in SA probably around 1907or1908 i suppose.
I have been in touch with the Wilson relatives in Scotland and they also knew nothing about the Murray family, so are now very happy to be able to fill in the gaps.
thank you for you help, every little bit helps fill in the gaps.
regards Patricia :)

Offline scottish lassy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 19 October 10 13:05 BST (UK) »
I know the Murray family and would be able to contact them for you.  If you want to pm me your details, I can pass them on.

SL

Offline scottish lassy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 19 October 10 13:09 BST (UK) »

Offline Patandjohnuk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 13 November 17 15:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Scottish Lassie, A few years have gone by, lots of changes as we have now left South Africa.

We would love to get in touch with the Murray family from Barvas, but obviously it would be up to them if they would like to connect with the family descendants of John Murray who moved to South Africa..   Thank you for the information that there are relatives still in Scotland or Stornoway. 

Patricia Murray.

Offline Jessie MacDonald

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 18 November 18 06:20 GMT (UK) »
This is my family. My Mum was the daughter of Finlay Murray of 52 Lower Barvas. I'm happy to connect and fill in the blanks. Please let me know how I can contact you.

Warm regards,

Lynn

Offline Patandjohnuk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 18 November 18 10:24 GMT (UK) »
Dear Lynn,
Thank you so much for answering. Its been a long time researching, so this is great news to have your reply. Am I allowed to put our email here, if not how to I get it to you.

Patricia and John.

Offline smaki

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 14 November 21 19:28 GMT (UK) »
Were you able to confirm the names and dates of birth/death of the children of John and Christina Murray.  John and Christina appear to have been my stepfather's grand parents.  My stepfather was Neil J Murray who was the son of Finlay and Jessie Murray of 52 Barvas who also immigrated to Canada in the late 60's settling in Sault Ste. Marie Ontario.  In reading your thread I can confirm that both Finlay and Neil (sons of John/Christina) were in Canada when WW1 broke out and both enlisted in the Canadian army.  As noted, Neil was killed near Vimy Ridge.  The family has a very rich history that I started to research following my dad's death late last year.  I regret not spending more time with him discussing the family history and hoping you can fill in a few blanks.  Thanks.

Offline Patandjohnuk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 08 December 22 23:04 GMT (UK) »
This is my family. My Mum was the daughter of Finlay Murray of 52 Lower Barvas. I'm happy to connect and fill in the blanks. Please let me know how I can contact you.

Warm regards,

Lynn
[/quote

Hello, it would be great to connect and fill in the blanks for our Murray family.  Brother-in law Kenneth Murray will be visiting Uk from Australia next year. He is keen to connect as well. So John Murray my husband, with their brothers Ian, Andrew, Kenneth and Heather were the children of John Murray of 52 Barvas.  We are living in England now.  Can I send our changed email in this forum ?
Regards Patricia Murray

Offline Patandjohnuk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 08 December 22 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Sorry meant they are the children of Neil William John murray