Author Topic: denigan/dennigan  (Read 27316 times)

Offline mjmce61

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: denigan/dennigan
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 06 September 11 06:19 BST (UK) »
Firstly to NZ, if all that has gone before is correct, we are as the maoris say cossie bros! I live now in Warkworth, where are you?

Next, I have been trying to sort things out with Rachel on email as I have a Joseph as being the first born of James and Mary Ann. I was given this name when I was in Ballyclare in 2007 by two elderly natives, surname Scully. I am coming to the belief that Richard was the first born 1882 and that the Joseph was actually Michael Joseph 1887 who went to USA, I was told that one of the sons had gone to the USA. What happened to Thomas 1884, I have yet to find out. I can account for Annie Mary 1890, James my GF, Elizabeth 1897 and John 1899.

One person who may be able to help if anybody knows where she is is a Mary Dennigan, daughter of John Dennigan and Margaret Diffley. She now lives in the USA and sold the family farm to the O'Roukes in 2003 after her brother Gabriel died.

Rachel has asked about a Cissie, talking to my mother yesterday, she talks about a Cissie being in and around the Dennigan farm and looking after Johns children, Cyril, Gabriel and Mary after his death in 1947 but she cannot remeber who she was, so I wonder whether one of Richards children did return to the farm.

What is interesting is the fervour and committment of so many people chasing the Dennigans, when I compare the area on my FT of the Dennigans to the rest of my ancestors it is about a 10th!

happy days to everyone. :)

Offline Thomas Carty

• RootsChat Extra
  • Celtic fanatic, and the worlds slowest go-karter on record (OK, Im fast but crash WAY too often).I know how to swear in more languages than I know how to say
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 28 February 16 12:30 GMT (UK) »
The fact that they hide the name normally hints at a little bit of scandal in the family.

Dennigan in Longford is normally an Irish Traveller name, or tinker / intenerant / gypsy to use the colloquial if racist expressions.

Many try to hide such origins.

A smilimlar sounding name is Duignan, also spelled Degnan, Dignan and Ive seen it spelled both as Dignan and Denigan, hence posting this...

And if its Duignan there may be a reason to keep a tad schtum about the name. All the family were very decent people. But... there is always one!

Basically, the Duignans came to the Leggah / Ballinamuck area from Leitrim, and they continued to marry into Leitrim families.

One Francis Duignan married an Ann Grey from Mohill in Leitrim circa 1871 and their eldest daughter was known as Mary Ann Duignan. The name was also spelled Degnan.

This girl was known to the world as Chicago May - and when you read HER story you will see why the family denied being Duignans, if that was there name!

Its a pity as the family was well got in Longford and highly respected. Our dawsie was just one bad apple in a good barrell...

Ive done  a piece on her, and just finished reading Noal O Faoilans book "The Story of Chicago May"

http://www.writingsinrhyme.com/index.php/chicago-may

I'm not the only poet as I call myself to write on her, the occultist Alistar Crowley wrote a weird epic poem about a woman who was a lover and yet who repelled him, and he called the character Chicago May even though it wasnt about our girl as such. Why? I dont know!

Our connection is that a Kate Hourican married a Thomas Duignan, and what he is to her father Im unsure, cousins of some sort...
Carty
Donohoe
Reilly (of Molly)
Drake
Hourican
Coyle
Mullanniffe

Offline rachelralph

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 29 February 16 13:32 GMT (UK) »
thank you for your infomation Thomas. it is interesting reading. i dont think we will ever be able to prove a connection to each other but i agree that dennigsn/denigan can come in many different varients and we most likely are related somehow.
i cannot go much further back on my own Denigan tree. i have since writing this post done much more research on my gr gr grandads family and all his children. i have spoken to children of all my  gr gr grandads children and whilst all our relatives have very interesting stories, none of us know much more than what we grew up with. their is no history in any of the stories. my gr gr grandad Richard Denigan came over from longford, and never spoke of home again. i know from my records he was the eldest son of James Denigan and Mary Ann Burke, but those who have researched james and mary have never heard nor seen any record of my Richard. he was i feel most strongly a black sheep. i do not want to say too much as there are people who still remember him (although none too fondly) but i can imagine his family may have wanted to disown him.

i have very much enjoyed researching this family name and i will continue to do so, but records are hard to come by anyway without adding family disputes, disowning and name variants into the mix.
Ralph. Lever. Young. Lasham. Denigan. Sawyer. Moore. Stone

saville foljambe moore

Offline NZkiwi1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 30 January 20 09:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I've got Denigan links and have just found a connection with Rachel and Carol and got in touch with them. But I think Michael in NZ.. you might be my mums cousin!! (have sent you a message)

Can we have a definate list of this family as I think I'm missing some children of Richard Dennigan (b. 1882 Longford) and Amy Ann Revell (b. 1884)
I'll start with what I have but please correct me if wrong or missing something...

1903 Winifred Mary
1904 Mary Ann (my mum's mum)
1907 James W
1909 Richard T
1912 Lawrence
1920 Irene A
1923 Charles

There's a bit of a gap there and I wouldn't be surprised if more children :)

Hi, I am the grand-daughter of Richard Denigan, and now live in New Zealand. Like a lot of the other posts on this forum, my mother knew very little about her father (Richard)'s family. She did say that her father was one of 11 children. Of all of her uncles, she only ever met Charles who later retired to Spain with his partner. Her parents kept her from meeting the Denigan cousins, so as an only child it would  have been quite lonely.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 30 January 20 09:08 GMT (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 30 January 20 09:35 GMT (UK) »

All Civil Reg Birth, Marriage and Death results for dennigan of Longford Reg District

LINK   http://www.rootschat.com/links/01oyx/

if you want Marriages just click on Marriage etc... or if you want 1800 ones click 1800's folder.

Certs are Free,  Irish Govt BDM Website.

One needs to solve Security Captcha and can just use Initials to sign in.  Safe site to use!

Those with  Returns Page No  do not have Images of Certs yet but use Link every few months to look for any updates.

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 30 January 20 09:51 GMT (UK) »
thank you for your infomation Thomas. it is interesting reading. i dont think we will ever be able to prove a connection to each other but i agree that dennigsn/denigan can come in many different varients and we most likely are related somehow.
i cannot go much further back on my own Denigan tree. i have since writing this post done much more research on my gr gr grandads family and all his children. i have spoken to children of all my  gr gr grandads children and whilst all our relatives have very interesting stories, none of us know much more than what we grew up with. their is no history in any of the stories. my gr gr grandad Richard Denigan came over from longford, and never spoke of home again. i know from my records he was the eldest son of James Denigan and Mary Ann Burke, but those who have researched james and mary have never heard nor seen any record of my Richard. he was i feel most strongly a black sheep. i do not want to say too much as there are people who still remember him (although none too fondly) but i can imagine his family may have wanted to disown him.

i have very much enjoyed researching this family name and i will continue to do so, but records are hard to come by anyway without adding family disputes, disowning and name variants into the mix.

The Marriage Certs is online but my advice would be to look at all Marriages and work out family units, siblings marrying etc etc rather than me just posting one particular Cert.

Then look at Birth Reg to get children of couples etc...

also

R.C. https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0146  Longford   and neighbouring Parishes can be got by just clicking them on Map

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 30 January 20 09:52 GMT (UK) »

m

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile