Author Topic: Keogh, Kelly in Glen of Imaal  (Read 28225 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Keogh, Kelly in Glen of Imaal
« Reply #27 on: Monday 08 April 19 20:48 BST (UK) »

Talk to locals.....

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Jimmykelly1059

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 09 April 19 20:01 BST (UK) »
My grandfather, John Keogh (b. 1880), and grandmother, Anne Kelly (b. 1885) were from the Glen of Imaal in Wicklow.  The townlands I have heard about in the area in which members of the two families lived are Seskin, Stranahely, Coolmoney, Leitrim and Knocknamunnion.  I think these townlands are in the parish of Donaghmore but I think that may be the civil, as distinct from church, parish.  Does anyone know what the relevant Catholic parish or parishes are for those townlands? 

I have a good deal of information on the two families from the 1901 and 1911 censuses.  The Kellys, or some of them,  moved to Kildare before 1911 but I would be interested to know if there are Keoghs still in Glen Imaal.

Dermo

Hi Dermo. It's possible that your grandmother, Anne Kelly, was a sister of my great grandfather, John Kelly, who I think left the Glen of Imaal as a young man and settled in Kellystown, Ticknock, in South Dublin. Any information you might have would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Offline dermo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 14 April 19 19:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Jimmykelly1059

My grandmother had a brother John.  However, he moved to Kildare with the family, as I mentioned in my original post, not to Dublin.  The land the Kellys farmed in the Glen was part of  the tract the British War Department bought up for the artillery range that still exists there.  With the compensation the family received, they bought a small farm near the town of Moone.  As far as I know John farmed there until his death. 
O'Brien, Keogh, Byrne, Cuffe, Kelly, White, Burke, Blosset, Evans, Hetherington, Hosey, Williams, Wright, Comerford, Carey, McKeon, Litton, O'Reilly, O'Toole, Nugent, Traynor, Broughall.