Author Topic: Keogh, Kelly in Glen of Imaal  (Read 28224 times)

Offline dermo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Keogh, Kelly in Glen of Imaal
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 01 March 11 17:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peddy
I have no record of a Jane among my Keogh relatives (see earlier posts for the names I have) nor have I any reference to Arklow.  This is not to say there may not be a connection.  I have only scratched the surface of the Keogh side of the family so far.  Curiously enough, I am also researching O'Briens and have a couple of Andrews in my tree.  One was my great grandfather.  He died in 1881 however.  The other Andrew never married and died in 1923.  All my O'Brien relatives lived in the Harold's Cross, Rathmines and Ranelagh areas.  I have no references to Clontarf.
The coincidence of names may be just that.  However, I will keep an eye out for any Arklow or Clontarf connections and maybe you would do likewise for Glen Imaal Keoghs and southside Dublin O'Briens?

Regards

Dermo   
O'Brien, Keogh, Byrne, Cuffe, Kelly, White, Burke, Blosset, Evans, Hetherington, Hosey, Williams, Wright, Comerford, Carey, McKeon, Litton, O'Reilly, O'Toole, Nugent, Traynor, Broughall.

Offline Peddy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 01 March 11 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dermo

Thanks for that, I thought it was probably a long shot.  However, if I come across any Keogh's/Kehoe who might belong to you I'll let you know.

rgds

Peddy

Offline dermo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 06 June 11 15:07 BST (UK) »
Hi

I made a first attempt recently to check church records in the National Library for my Glen of Imaal ancestors. I searched the Dunlavin records without success.  I was looking for my Keogh and Kelly great grandparents' weddings.  I already had the certs from GRO so I knew precise dates and g g grandfathers' names but was hoping I would get g g grandmothers' names as well so as to have clues for further research.  My great grandfather Tim Kelly married Anne Burke (or Bourke) in the "Catholic Chapel of Hollywood" in June 1876 while my great grandfather Michael Keogh married Mary White in the "Catholic Chapel of Davidstown" in November 1879.  Not seeing these listed among the RC parishes on the Irish Times ancestors website, I had assumed these would have been chapels of ease for Dunlavin, the listed parish nearest those chapels and the addresses of the various g grandparents.  The Dunlavin records are very faded, to the point of invisibility, in some places but I found legible register pages for the relevant months but no mention of the ancestors.
Could the records for the two chapels be elsewhere than among the Dunlavin parish records or do I have to assume they are on the very faded pages or lost completely? 
Not being familiar with the setup in Wicklow, I would value any advice on how to proceed.

Dermo
O'Brien, Keogh, Byrne, Cuffe, Kelly, White, Burke, Blosset, Evans, Hetherington, Hosey, Williams, Wright, Comerford, Carey, McKeon, Litton, O'Reilly, O'Toole, Nugent, Traynor, Broughall.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 06 June 11 15:20 BST (UK) »
I dont have first hand knowledge of these two chapels but according to the Irish Times details, the townland, and civil parish of Hollywood is in the RC parish of Ballymore Eustace

The townland of Davidstown is in the Civil parish of Donaghmore, and the RC parish of Dunlavin.

Records were supposed to be kept by the parish, so any events that took place in a chapel of ease should have been recorded in the parish register.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline dermo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 06 June 11 16:42 BST (UK) »
Shane

Thanks for that.  So, I was looking in the wrong place for the Kelly/Burke marriage.  Good to know there's still a possibility of finding it on my next trip to NLI.   I will examine the Dunlavin microifilm again just in case I missed the Keogh/White record though I suspect it might be on one of the illegible, virtually blank pages.

Regards

Dermo 

Offline Brino

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 21 August 11 20:34 BST (UK) »
Hi,
They are also my great grand parents. Michael and Mary Keogh of the glen of imaal. My sister saw their ruined house some years ago with two of their grand daughters (our mother and her sister). Its 30 minutes away from Dublin past Blessington and on to Donard etc. Everything fits. One of their daughters, Julia left the Glen and went to work in Dublin. (You didn't have her name but the others are her brothers and sisters as per your email). My mom knows all the names you have, the sawmills, the army baracks in Coolmoney. It quite amazing. Its a lovely part of the world in west wicklow.

Hi

I made a first attempt recently to check church records in the National Library for my Glen of Imaal ancestors. I searched the Dunlavin records without success.  I was looking for my Keogh and Kelly great grandparents' weddings.  I already had the certs from GRO so I knew precise dates and g g grandfathers' names but was hoping I would get g g grandmothers' names as well so as to have clues for further research.  My great grandfather Tim Kelly married Anne Burke (or Bourke) in the "Catholic Chapel of Hollywood" in June 1876 while my great grandfather Michael Keogh married Mary White in the "Catholic Chapel of Davidstown" in November 1879.  Not seeing these listed among the RC parishes on the Irish Times ancestors website, I had assumed these would have been chapels of ease for Dunlavin, the listed parish nearest those chapels and the addresses of the various g grandparents.  The Dunlavin records are very faded, to the point of invisibility, in some places but I found legible register pages for the relevant months but no mention of the ancestors.
Could the records for the two chapels be elsewhere than among the Dunlavin parish records or do I have to assume they are on the very faded pages or lost completely? 
Not being familiar with the setup in Wicklow, I would value any advice on how to proceed.

Dermo

Offline dermo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 21 August 11 21:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Brino

Great to hear from you.  I know about Julia, she married Paddy Kavanagh.  They lived in Blackrock, Co. Dublin.  My mother was particularly close to their daughter May Kavanagh.  She and my mother were violinists.  My mother was May Keogh.  Apart from my grandfather, John, who was the eldest child of Michael Keogh and Mary White, the others I know of (in birth order, I think) are Bill, Mary, Nanny (Anne), Julia, Lizzie, Michael, Tom, Kate and Patrick. Was Julia your grandmother? I think we are probably second cousins.
I haven't been in the Glen since I was a child.  I must make the trip sometime soon.

Dermo

Offline Brino

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 22 August 11 15:50 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Thats us ok for sure. The two ladies were great players ok. They were the foundation stones for the Chieftains and Riverdance I think. They should have been mentioned for their part as they did a lot of work in their day. They were well known in music circles in Dublin.

Anyway its good to know the ancestors and that some are still in the area.

B

Offline dermo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 23 August 11 11:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Brino

I'm wondering if your mother has any information on the parents of Michael Keogh and Mary White, especially their mothers.  I eventually found the church record of their marriage but it didn't list the mothers' maiden names.  Michael's father was John Keogh and his mother's christian name was Julia.  Mary's father was William White and her mother's name was Anna (or Anne). Their wedding cert gives Michael's address as Coliga and Mary's as Camera.  Michael and Mary were living in Knocknamunnion in 1901 and in Stranahely in 1911.  Do you know where the ruin of their house was situated?
I am also wondering if your mother knows anything about a family connection to Michael Dwyer of 1798 fame.  My mother believed there was a link to one of his sisters.  From information provided in another thread on this site, I think the link may be through Donoghues.  Lizzie Keogh, a sister of my grandfather John and of Julia's married Tom Donoghue who was her first cousin.  One of Michael Dwyer's sisters married a Donoghue.  However, I haven't been able so far to find a link between the two Donoghues.  I'd really be interested to hear if your mother can shed any light.

Dermo