Author Topic: "Will Cove" "Mill Cove" "Wilcove"  (Read 3319 times)

Offline bodad

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
"Will Cove" "Mill Cove" "Wilcove"
« on: Tuesday 12 October 10 18:02 BST (UK) »
I have the Coastguard Service record for a William Jenkins in Ireland which says he was born in Will Cove 9 July 1812.  It has been suggested that it should read Mill Cove which is now Mullion Cove, or should it be Wilcove?

So can anybody tell me when Mill Cove became Mullion Cove?

By coincidence, LDS has a William Jinkins Christened 12 JUL 1812 Stoke Damerel, Devonport, Devon.  So can anyone tell me whether in 1812 there was a ferry service, or other regular and safe boat passage from Wilcove to the other side of the river.  Or can anyone tell me if people lived in Wilcove?

Thanks,

Tim

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: "Will Cove" "Mill Cove" "Wilcove"
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 October 10 00:18 BST (UK) »
Wilcove is in the parish of Antony, and there was a ferry. Reference to it on the opc site and to the area being associated with the navy.
http://www.stoneyburn.ca/OPC_Web/Antony/Antony.php

The harbour at Mullion cove was called Porth Mellin which means mill cove. It was built in 1895.
http://www.cornwallinfocus.co.uk/walking/s19.php

Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline bodad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 October 10 10:45 BST (UK) »
Osprey,

Thanks for the information about Wilcove.  I guess if his family was already associated with the navy, they may have lived on the west of the river and used the ferry to get to Devonport.  I think I need a little more detail about living and working in the Devonport area in the late 1790s and early 1800s.  Anybody have any pointers/links?

Funny that Mullion Cove was Porth Mellin.  I live in Wales and "Porth Melin" would be the current Welsh for "Mill Port".  But I guess the question is whether the people who lived there in 1810ish (ie beore the harbour was built), would have called it Porth Mellin or Mill Cove?  Anyone with any ideas?

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 October 10 14:06 BST (UK) »
suspect they would have called it Porth Mellin. Plenty of references to that name on the internet. Welsh & Cornish are both in the same group of Celtic languages, hence the similarities - like Poldhu & Pwlldu.

I've already given you the link to the opc for the Rame peninsula. It may be worth trying them or the Torpoint archives
http://www.museumsincornwall.org.uk/museums/torpoint-archives
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb