Author Topic: Philip MARK b: March 1843 Lanivet, Cornwall  (Read 8113 times)

Offline AllanR

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Philip MARK b: March 1843 Lanivet, Cornwall
« on: Tuesday 12 October 10 20:14 BST (UK) »
I have the following:

Philip MARK b: March 08, 1843 Lanivet, Cornwall bpt: May 07, 1848 Lanivet (PR note: aged  5  years)  d: July 09, 1930 Yakima, Washington, USA, aged 87 years.  Occupation: 1877 - Farmer  [IGI Extraction/Pilot/Cornwall OPC]
 ... +Charlotte Leonora WELLS b: abt 1857 Reach Township, Ontario, Canada, daughter of John & Hannah Wells  m: May 01, 1877 McGillivray, Middlesex, Ontario   [Ontario MarrIndx]
 ..... 8 Jether L E Mark b: abt 1878 Ontario, Canada [1880 US census]
 ..... 8 Henrietta Mark b: abt 1880 Evergreen, Sanilac, Michigan, USA  [1880 US census]
 ........ +John A Star m: aft 1910 ?Yakima
 ........... 9 Marguerite F Star b: February 05, 1914  d: February 12, 1923 Yakima, Washington, USA, aged 9 years.
 ..... 8 Fleetwood Ethelbert Mark b: September 24, 1881 Evergreen, Sanilac, Michigan, USA [MI-ODM]
 ..... 8 Mabel Suella Mark b: December 21, 1886 Evergreen, Sanilac, Michigan, USA [MI-ODM]
 ..... 8 May L Mark    [1920 US census/IGI Pilot]
 ..... 8 Bella B Mark  [1920 US census/IGI Pilot]

Any help with the missing details eg. when did Philip arrive in Canada and did he have any relatives there already.  When did he move to the USA and what happened to his children etc. would be gratefully received.

Thanks,

AllanR
Roseveare, Vosper, Fuge, Grimshaw (Yorkshire West Riding)

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Philip MARK b: March 1843 Lanivet, Cornwall
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 October 10 23:59 BST (UK) »
Hello Allan

You can access Michigan records on the Pilot/Beta part of familysearch.org (see link below). Click on browse below where you enter names, then the USA part, and scroll down to Michigan. I did a quick look and found Henrietta's birth. The others will hopefully be there too. There are also marriage and death records if I remember correctly.

http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#start

The actual birthdate for Jether is 27 Feb 1878, in case you didn't have it.

I haven't had any luck with immigration records.

Polarbear
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 October 10 04:15 BST (UK) »
I took a look at the IGI and the Philip Mark I saw who was baptised on 7 May 1848 was listed as being the son of Henry and Loveday Mark. On the 1871 census for Canada there is the following family in McGillivray, Middlesex County, Ontario:

Henry Mark, 70, farmer, born England
Lovedy Mark, 70, born England
Jeseph Mark, 11, born Ontario
Charles Mark, 9, born Ontario
Philip Mark, 7, born Ontario
Philip Mark, 25, farmer, born Ontario (the birthplace was likely a mistake by the enumerator)

After a little looking I found the family listed as Marks in McGillivray, Huron County, Ontario in 1861:

Henry Marks, 60, farmer, born England
Loveday Marks, 60, born England
Thomas Marks, 30, labourer, born England
Henry Marks, 25, labourer, born England
Richard Marks, 20, labourer, born England
Joseph Marks, 19, labourer, born England
Henry Marks, 17, labourer, born England
Philip Marks, 15, labourer, born England
Loveday Marks, 12, born England

The ages for Henry and Loveday don't match up with the 1841 England census but the older children's names and ages do. I can't find the family on the England or Canada census in 1851.

There's a death in McGillivray, Middlesex County for Henry Mark (81) on 18 Aug 1882 which indicates he was born in Cornwall, England. Edward Mark was the informant. Lovedy Mark died 2 Sep 1891 also in McGillivray, Middlesex County. She was 91 years 6 months old when she died. It only gives her birth place as England. Henry Mark was the informant.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 October 10 05:16 BST (UK) »
The 1900 US census has another child for Philip and Caroline. There is a Percival C. Mark listed as being born in Apr 1883 in Michigan.

The Michigan death database at the LDS Labs website has a death for a Jether* Marks (son of Phillip and Charlotte Marks, born Canada) on 13 May 1899 in Pontiac, Oakland County, Michigan. He was single and his occupation was listed as brakeman.
*The entry was mistranscribed as Jethis.

Fleetwood Mark is in Laclede, Bonner County, Idaho with his wife Ethel in 1910. They are in Meyers Falls, Stevens County, Washington on the 1920 US census with a daughter named Frances C. and in Seattle on the 1930 census. According to the Washington births database at Ancestry Frances Charlotte Virginia Mark was born 11 Jun 1914 to Fleetwood E. Mark and Ethel M. Hiller.

The LDS Labs site has a marriage for Percival Mark to Bertha L. Cramer in Michigan in 1912 and his death in Yakima, Washington on 19 Nov 1936 (listed as Percy C. Mark). On the 1910 census, Percy Mark is in the household of his sister Henrietta Mark in Yakima. Bell Mark is also in the household. Percy, his wife Bertha and their son Donald (4-11/12) are on the 1920 US census in Detroit, Michigan. The family is in Royal Oak, Michigan on the 1930 census.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 October 10 06:05 BST (UK) »
I found the following deaths for children of Henry Mark and Loveday Cornelius in Middlesex County, Ontario:

• Edward Mark on 14 Aug 1917 in Park Hill. The informant was Mrs. Ruth Mark. It says he was "75 years 7 months today" and born in England.
  • Rachel Mark on 1 Jan 1922 in McGillvray. Her date of birth was listed as Nov ?, 1928 and it says she was a widow. Her son J.P. Mark was the informant.
  • Thomas Mark on 3 Jul 1911 in McGillivray. His date of birth was listed as 15 Aug 1829.

Offline AllanR

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 October 10 11:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Jacqui & PolarBear,

Brilliant! Thanks so much for your time and info.

I was hoping that Henry Mark & Loveday' family could be found.  The latest I have found anything about the family in Cornwall is 1848 when a daughter, Rachel, who had married Thomas WOOLCOCK June 3rd 1847 in Lanivet, Cornwall, had a daughter, Loveday WOOLCOCK, baptised in Lanivet on 7th May 1848.  Any sign of the WOOLCOCK's in the 1861 Canadian census?

Also, the eldest daughter of Henry & Loveday, Mary, married Mark NICHOLLS 3rd December 1846 in Lanivet - are they also in Canada?  If so, any offspring?

Very many thanks again,

AllanR (In cloudy Cheshire, England)
Roseveare, Vosper, Fuge, Grimshaw (Yorkshire West Riding)

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 14 October 10 00:29 BST (UK) »
I couldn't find a Woolcock family on the 1861 census. Going from the death registration it looks like Rachel and her children were using the Mark name in Canada. On the 1871 census there is the following family in McGillivray:

Rachael Mark, widow, 40, born England
Elizabeth Mark, 18, born Ontario
John Mark, 15, farm labourer, born Ontario
Henry Mark, 12, born Ontario
Joseph Mark, 4, born Ontario
Pursella Mark, 2, born Ontario

I'm wondering whether the 12 year old Loveday on the 1861 census might have been a granddaughter of Henry and Loveday - perhaps Rachel's daughter?

I'll take a better look for them later this evening.

Jacquie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 14 October 10 06:40 BST (UK) »
Allan, do you have access to Ancestry? I saw there are a few family trees posted for the family of Henry Mark and Loveday Cornelius.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 14 October 10 06:45 BST (UK) »
You may already have this;
Marriage from Familysearch Pilot;
Henry MARK
Lovdy CORNELIUS, 08 March 1823, Luxulion, Cornwall, England

Most Family Trees do not seem to have the 1841 census so I will post just in case you dont either;
1841 Census
Roe Dee,
Lanivet, Cornwall
HO107/150/6/Lanivet
Henry MARK, 55
Lovdy, 55
John, 15
Lovdy, 15
Rachel, 12
Thomas, 10
Henry, 8
Carolene, 6
Richard, 4
Joseph, 2
Edward, 5mths
Mary CORNELIUS, 75
All born in County

Trish :)

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)