Author Topic: General Cemetery Nottingham  (Read 13332 times)

Offline Matt R

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: General Cemetery Nottingham
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 14 October 10 23:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Valtaya,

I could not leave you waiting so went into Nottingham RO this morning and had a wee look for your Thomas Mee / Horton.

His grave number is 19333, and internment number was actually 85971. The trail in finding him was a bit confusing as I had to go through a massive collection of listed internment numbers. The grave number 19333 brought up a list of seven internment numbers, which I matched to the following people.

6780 - Elizabeth Lowe, spinster of Back Lane, Nottingham, died aged 32 on 28/01/1850 and buried 03/02/1850.

40057 - Valentine Henry Withers, son of Valentine and Mary Withers of Crocus Street, Nottingham, aged 7 months. Died 16/04/1882, buried on 19/04/1882.

41491 - Henry Ashton, son of Mary Ann Ashton of Riley's Yard, Canal Street, Nottingham, aged 1 month. Died 24/02/1883, buried 01/03/1883. Oddly enough I walk past Canal Street to get to the Archives.

62384 - Gertrude Ellis, daughter of Joseph Thomas Ellis of 5 Pa____ts Yard, Broad Street, Nottingham, aged 4 years. Died 20/11/1898, buried 24/11/1898

62384 - Florence Ellis, daughter of Joseph Ellis (presumably the same as above) of 5 Pa____ts Yard, Broad Street, Nottingham. Died 26/11/1898, buried 30/11/1898.

67620 - (this entry was very hard to read) Nellie Elizabeth Bingham, daughter of (maybe) James Bingham, aged 17 months. Died 25/07/1903, burial date illegible.

85971 - Thomas Mee (Norton) of 429 Hollingham Road (?), a soldier, aged 39 years. Died 01/03/1920, buried 06/03/1920.

I think the 6/19333 you refer to was taken from a number 6 that is written in the date column of the registers. The grave number is 19333.

These seven internment numbers all had the grave number of 19333, I doubled checked them all. Do you know who any of these people are? In the list of internment numbers of this grave the word BINGHAM was written, which may mean the Bingham family owned the plot, but I am not sure. I could try and find out who owned the grave if you like.

Also, the fact Thomas is listed as a soldier is interesting, dying two years after the First World War ended. Was he wounded? I checked on the CWGC site but no obvious match was returned for him.

Sad to say I think it is unlikely he will have a headstone, and if the grave does, I imagine it will not bare his name. However, I'll keep my finger on this and will see what I can turn up tomorrow (I can pop in for half an hour after uni).

I hope this helps, it looks like his family may be buried elsewhere ???

Matt.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Valtaya

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 15 October 10 04:00 BST (UK) »
Matt,

You are now my new best friend hahaha..

That makes perfect sense but is not what I was expecting!! Thomas had a sister who married James Bingham.. I would not have expected him to be put in with the inlaws tho so that is fasinating.. I have no clue about the other names tho but I will look into that now..

x
Bell - Kimberley,
Dewey - Kimberley,
Manners - Ilkeston,
Lee - Eastwood,
Asbury - Birmingham,

Offline copperbeech5

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 15 October 10 18:41 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have many relatives buried in the General Cemetery, and a good few of those although buried together they do not have, and never had a head stone. 

I am sure it was down to a lack of funds.

Hope that helps.

Best wishes,
Copperbeech5
Hutchinson - Nottingham.
Rowland - Nottingham.
Parkin - Co Durham/Nottingham.
Gardiner/Gardner/Gardener - Co Durham.
Drake - Derbyshire/Lincolnshire/Sussex/London?
Leighton - Derbyshire.

Offline dancing lady

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 21 October 10 03:10 BST (UK) »
Reayboy, I wonder could you when you have time look at the Archives for the burial of William Simpson died in Nottingham city in the December 1/4 1884. Also his wife Lucy Simpson who died March 1/4 1878.
There is no hurry . I did contact the general cemetery by e-mail but unfortunately they charge 31 pounds per person thats about 40 Australian dollars, which at the moment I can't afford. Hope you don't mind me asking. Anything I can look up for people researching Australia I am happy to do.
Warm regard. dancing lady Australia

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 21 October 10 10:02 BST (UK) »
Is this the Thomas Mee who died of a stomach ulcer and peritonitus in St Lukes hospital Bradford, March 1920 ? Ancestry WW1 service records.If so he was 41 years and 281 days when he enlisted, born 1875, so the age on the grave is wrong....The widow is listed as Alice Mee of 109 Merchant St, Bulwell. His parents are at  429 Nottingham road, there are 6 children listed.Step father listed as Paul Horton -so it is the right guy. Mother as Ellen.With a sister Annie Bingham. There is a letter from his wife to Thomas' comanding officer in his records.I do hope you have seen these papers.
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline Valtaya

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 24 October 10 17:22 BST (UK) »
I was just thinking... is there anyway to know if the Binghams owned any more graves?? I was just wondering if James may be there with his wife Annie...
I found a connection to the Florence and Gertrude Ellis.. The are the daughters of Clara Ellis (Johnson), who is the sister of Thomas Mee mother.. sooo they are Thomas Mee cousins!!! Still working on the others but how great is that??

xx
Bell - Kimberley,
Dewey - Kimberley,
Manners - Ilkeston,
Lee - Eastwood,
Asbury - Birmingham,

Offline Matt R

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 24 October 10 17:39 BST (UK) »
Well done Val...that is a relief. I can remember going through the internments and thinking to myself, these guys have all different names. I thought I was doing something wrong but I am glad the people tie up in your family.

I can check if the Bingham's owned anymore graves but I am doubtful of a straightforward route to see that info. What I mean is, I might have to do some cross-referencing.

dancing lady...I have information for you regarding your Simpsons that I will send you later on. I could not find William but will have another go next time I'm in the archives. I did find Lucy though. I'll be in touch shortly.

Matt :)
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Valtaya

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 24 October 10 18:03 BST (UK) »
Ahhh dont you just love find a relative  :D I think I need to move house so I live next door to archives.. I wouldnt even know how to get there.. I only know where Victoria centre is  ::)

All this for a friends tree.. I dont want my tree to end so I keep finding other peoples to do.. I will be at a loss if I didnt have a tree to do..
Bell - Kimberley,
Dewey - Kimberley,
Manners - Ilkeston,
Lee - Eastwood,
Asbury - Birmingham,

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 25 October 10 10:02 BST (UK) »
Do you have his sevice records?
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley