Author Topic: anguige family in brighton  (Read 2882 times)

Offline runningbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: anguige family completed, thanks
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 26 February 11 13:02 GMT (UK) »
hi paul,

let me firstly welcome you to rootschat, a whole new world awaits you, its crammed full of hints and tips, full of lovely helpful people and is a wonderful resource to have at hand.

its rather exciting about a j lane, i would more than welcome any additional info you have, i will reopen this board, so that others can share in your postings.

look forward to hearing from you.

Bear
helping wherever possible

Offline coch-y-bonddu

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: anguige family in brighton
« Reply #10 on: Monday 28 February 11 06:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Joe,
It's a fairly long story. AJ was a gun expert, writing in the Field as "One who has fired some 20,000 trial shots at marks." I recently made the connection with a fishing manuscript that was published in the 1990s. It was published as "The fishing diary of AJ Lane 1843," although the publisher had no idea who Lane was at that time. It has been fairly easy to piece together much of his life. A solicitor, born in London, lived in Brighton, born 1816, died 1906. He was widowed in 1894 and remarried in 1895. In late life he called himself A.J. Norton Lane. It would be interesting to know why. Maybe he took the name of his second wife, Clara. Also it would be very nice to know the name of the house or village where he grew up (Sussex close to Kent border). However the main reason I wrote was to give this info to whoever had been researching his family - thought they'd like to know that he was a well-known authority on shotguns and ballistics - which was why I mailed you.
All the best, Paul