Author Topic: James Rafferty and Michael Rafferty  (Read 8723 times)

Offline leagen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Researching Family from Ireland during potato fam
    • View Profile
James Rafferty and Michael Rafferty
« on: Wednesday 13 October 10 19:52 BST (UK) »
Seek info on a James Rafferty who (m) an Ann before 1891 and lived Newcastle-Under-Lyme.  Had kids:  Annie 1891/92, Mary A. 1896/97, James 1899/1900. This info is from 1901 census.   What became of the Kids?  Also a Michael Rafferty found in same location in 1901 aged 24 living w/his sister Ann aged 23 and his Neice Mary aged 4.  Is Mary A. w/James the same person as Mary living w/Michael?  Are Michael and sister Ann kids of Edward and Bridget Rafferty of same location?   Trying to discover Parents of a Mary Rafferty born in that location about 1895 who was sent to US in 1907 to live w/rellys.
Jenkins-Salmon-Dwyer-Hill-Sargent/ Seargent-Young/ Jung-White-Kinney/ Kenny-Cook-Waterman-O'Neill-McDonald-Shufelt/ Shufeldt-Wilbur/ Wilber-Patterson--Covey-Tisdale-Wells-Dodge-Palmer.

Offline Nimrod58

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: James Rafferty and Michael Rafferty
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 October 10 11:30 BST (UK) »
Hi

there's a marriage registered for James Rafferty to Ann Connor in Newcastle under Lyme Dec 1884 6b 134

Kind regards

H
Armitage, Gleave, Higham, Hayes, Halliwell ( Lancs)
Barker (Nottingham & Leicester)
Bateman (Wiltshire & Somerset)
Burgoyne (Devon & Gloucester/Bristol)
Gove, Godbeer (Devon)
Hill (Bristol)
McGuinness (Belfast/Fermanagh/Monaghan/Clones)
Voce (Liverpool )
Wood (Warrington; Liverpool; Chester)
Woodman (Wiltshire & London)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline posteria

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 October 10 19:56 BST (UK) »
... James Rafferty who (m) an Ann before 1891 and lived Newcastle-Under-Lyme.  Had kids:  Annie 1891/92, Mary A. 1896/97, James 1899/1900. What became of the Kids? 

Trying to discover Parents of a Mary Rafferty born in that location about 1895 who was sent to US in 1907 to live w/rellys.
Hello

Annie Rafferty married John William Griffiths in 1909 and her sister, Mary Agnes and her brother, James, were living with them in Newcastle under Lyme a few years later. This Mary Rafferty cannot, therefore, be the one who went to USA in 1907.

The other Annie Rafferty (Michael’s sister) married Edward Smith later in 1901 and they had a few children. Ten years later, the Mary Rafferty who was living with Michael and Annie in 1901 (who might have been the daughter of this Annie, if she was the niece of Michael) is not living with Annie and her husband although her uncle, Michael, is. This Mary Rafferty does not seem to be anywhere else in England around this time and might be the one who went to USA .... but proving it could be difficult.

posteria

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 October 10 20:42 BST (UK) »
Free BMD has births:

1) Mary Rafferty 1895 June quarter Newcastle Under Lyme 6b 70
2) Mary Agnes Rafferty 1895 June quarter Newcastle Under Lyme 6b 69   

Posteria seems to have explained this really well  :D

regards
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline posteria

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 October 10 21:00 BST (UK) »
Looking back to the 1871 census, I think that James Rafferty was the older brother of Michael and Annie ....

Newcastle Under Lyme RG10/2831 Folio 33 Page 4

Edward Rafferty Head M 35 Ag Lab Ireland
Bridget do Wife M 33 Ireland
Mary do Daur 14 Staffordsh. Newcastle
James do Son 12 Staffordsh. Newcastle
Catharine do Daur 8 Staffordsh. Newcastle
Thomas do Son 4 Staffordsh. Newcastle
Michael do Son 2 Staffordsh. Newcastle

1 Copelands Buildings, Newcastle Under Lyme

The 1881 census shows that Mary and James had left home but Ann(ie) has been added ...

Click for 1881 census entry

Edward, Bridget, Mary and James also appear on the 1861 census (if required).

posteria

Offline floridab

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 October 10 07:08 BST (UK) »
Researching Mary Agnes Rafferty (My Grandmother) born 1896 Newcastle-Under-Lyme Father James Mother Anne. She came to USA in 1906. Died age 35 Long Island NY.

Offline posteria

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 28 October 10 11:48 BST (UK) »
Hello

There was only one birth registered at Newcastle under Lyme for a Mary Agnes Rafferty and that is the one shown above by heywood. The other birth, for Mary Rafferty, is recorded separately but given the same reference number on the Staffordshire BMD site (which suggests that each registration might refer to the same child).

Mary Agnes Rafferty (born in Newcastle under Lyme) must have made more than one journey across the Atlantic because in 1911 she is clearly in England - http://www.1911census.co.uk/.

Do you have the details of the relatives that she went to live with in USA?

posteria

Offline Barneyc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 24 March 11 15:29 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find out where my Great-grandparents Edward and Bridget Rafferty came from in Ireland.  They had Mary, Catherine, Thomas, Michael and Ann.  Mary moved to Wakefield, Rhode Island around 1894 and married Charles Zemper.  James Rafferty married Ann Connors and they had Annie, Mary Agnes and James.  Mary Agnes went to live in Wakefield Rhode Island in 1907.   Edward Smith married Ann Rafferty (daughter of Edward and Bridgett).  Ann had Mary Rafferty in May 1895 before she married Edward (do not yet know father of Mary).  Mary also went to Rhode Island to Aunt Mary Zemper in November 1907.  I have quite  a bit of information on the Raffertys but do not know where they originally came from in Ireland or when they came to Newcastle-under-Lyme.  Ann Smith (nee Rafferty) is my Grandmother.  I would also like to know if Edward Rafferty had a brother named Michael  who went to live in Mystic, Connecticut. 

Offline Barneyc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 13 October 11 17:16 BST (UK) »
Are you still trying to trace information on the Rafferty family of Newcastle-under-Lyme.  Annie Rafferty who married Edward Smith was my grandmother.  Mary, Annie's daughter, went to live in Rhode Island, USA in 1907.  She went to her Aunt Mary who was married to Charles Zemper.  I do have more information on the family if you are still interested.  I am trying to trace where in Ireland the family originally came from.   Please get in touch if you are still looking into family history.
Thanks Mary