Author Topic: John Saul & Eleanor Saul (nee Crowe)  (Read 9728 times)

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: John Saul & Eleanor Saul (nee Crowe)
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 16 November 10 08:42 GMT (UK) »
I understood what Sumpter said but there is no proof at the moment that he wasn't Mabel's father is there so it can't be discounted? Maybe once you exchange information things may become clearer.

By doing a timeline it would be clearer what information is still needed.

I really hope that somewhere along the way you both find the missing link between the two families.

Margaret

Offline sumpter

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 18 November 10 18:43 GMT (UK) »
Lisa,
Sorry about the confusion. Colin was the youngest son of John and Eleanor ,so was Mabels step brother. My father was Ronald, Mabels illegitimate son whose father I believe was John Saul. I will try and find a picture of Mabel to send.

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 18 November 10 18:57 GMT (UK) »
I still can't find a birth or death record for Colin Saul do you know where he died and about how old he was? It's driving me mad. All I can think is that Colin was his middle name.

Margaret

Offline sumpter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 19 November 10 20:11 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, but don't know any more about Colin, think he died around 1969/70 in Preston. I seem to remember that when Mabel was young she and her family lived in the Ribbleton area of Preston in Robin Street.

Offline Lisa500

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 22 November 10 03:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sumpter,

Thanks for the offer to find a photo, that would be great to see. I recently found a document on the internet which appears to be John Saul’s army record, but it also lists his family details, so I thought it might be of interest to you. I don’t think it lists all their children, and unfortunately it does not list a Colin Saul. I've attached it to this post, so hope you can see it...

I’ve also noticed out of Eleanor’s daughters, all except one (who is called Eleanor) have a name beginning with an M (Mable, Mary Kathleen, Ivy Marie) and as I’ve said, my Grandmother was named Marjorie, so I wondered if this makes the case stronger for having found the right Eleanor, as she might have had a thing for M names! Could just be coincidence though…

Also on the 1901 census I have found a Catherine Crowe working as a domestic cook in Hoylake, born Isle of Man in 1878, the same year as Eleanor. I wonder if they could be related in any way and that’s why she went to Hoylake to have Marjorie. That said Eleanor’s family moved from IOM to Cleator when she was very young, so they may not have stayed in contact with any family.

Lisa

Offline sumpter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 23 November 10 19:44 GMT (UK) »
This is Mabel probably aged about 20 to 25.

Offline sumpter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 23 November 10 20:04 GMT (UK) »
This is Mabel with Kathleen Saul when they were both in their 80's.

Offline Lisa500

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 26 November 10 04:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much for posting the photos.

We don’t think she looks like Marjorie, however she does look very much like Marjorie’s daughter.

I’m not really sure where to go from here, in terms of knowing more information to confirm this is our Eleanor.

Are you in touch with any of the relatives of Eleanor & John’s children? I'm wondering if they would know if Eleanor had another child before marrying John or maybe have some photos of Eleanor?

Lisa

Offline sumpter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 26 November 10 19:54 GMT (UK) »
Sorry but as far as I know there are no surviving children of John and Eleanor. I have little detail of them as Mabel wasn't one to discuss her family. I knew Ivy, who was married to Henry Rigby and lived in Cottam near Preston and later had a B&B in Fleetwood, she had one son Richard. Kathleens  married name was Durkin and she  lived in Darwen ,she had a son Tommy. One of the brothers was connected to the government in the Bahamas but not sure which one, my sister thinks it was Clifford. He was in constant touch with Mabel but I was led to believe he knew nothing of the existence of her son, my father. The daughter Eleanor was always known as "Lennie" and was at one time a Carmelite nun and lived in Bamber Bridge near Preston.