Author Topic: Ann/Annie Maule - Alloa  (Read 8097 times)

Offline tedscout

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Ann/Annie Maule - Alloa
« on: Saturday 16 October 10 06:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Im hoping some one with more Scottish research skills than me can help me varify this story that I have found on GenForum.

Anne supposedly married John McNab Dec 1845/47 at Alloa but I cannot find the marriage entry. Several children followed and then they emigrated to Victoria Australia.

I have her as being married to an Edward Brown and the person I am helping is decended from this marriage (although we have no proof yet that they married) but the child's birth certificate states both parents names.

I have her parents as being Alexander Maule and Margaret Hall - I can find Alexander and Margaret in the 1841 census but Ann is not with them.

I cant find the family in the 1851 census I presume it has been transcribed incorrectly as Alexander Maule dies in December 1851 in Clackmannanshire

I have looked and looked and looked again on Scotlands People and the censuses but I cannot find them anywhere. Please can some kind soul help us.

From Ted and Amy
Gadsby's, Farmers, Neals - Leicestershire
Freemans, Littles, Corbetts, Branns - Australia

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Ann/Annie Maule - Alloa
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 October 10 09:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Ted and Amy

What information do you have on your Annie? When do you estimate she was born, have you found her on any censuses after she married Edward Brown, apart from the one child you mention, did they have any more? Did Annie die in Scotland or did she emigrate with family?

Anything you have on her will help Rchatters on the searches  :)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tedscout

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 October 10 09:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica,

Since posting for help I have found this.

Think she married John McNab in Scotland and emigrated with him on The Bourneup in 1852. She is with John 27 and Daniel 3 and she is 24.

Believe she married Edward Brown in Australia.

Some websites have a sister for Annie Brown, Marjory May.

Thanks for your interest, cheers Ted

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 October 10 10:00 BST (UK) »
Just seen the shipping details for the McNabs with just son Daniel arriving in Geelong on 3 Sep 1852, which fits with the 1851 Scottish census entry (although two other children show there too who may have died prior to them leaving Scotland?).

There are some trees showing on Ancestry for Ann which show her then going on to marry Edward Brown. Dates would be pretty tight as first born daughter for Edward and Ann is down as being born on 7 December 1852 in Ballarat Victoria.

Have any checks been made on Ann's death cert? Again from the Anc. trees, her death date shows as 14 March 1914 in Victoria.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 16 October 10 10:04 BST (UK) »
Apart from Marjory May Brown b. 7 December 1852 and Ann Brown b. 1854, there is also a potential brother showing, Daniel Edward Brown b. 1857. I wonder if all the same people, did the first Daniel (McNab) die young for the name to be reused?

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 16 October 10 10:10 BST (UK) »
See I am duplicating  ;D Link to the other post on the Australian board www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,489527.0.html

Ted, might be worthwhile starting from Ann's death cert in the hope that parents' names are included. Looks like a complicated story from what I can see on the other post.

Monica

Offline tedscout

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 16 October 10 10:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica,

I thought if I split the Australian part and the Scottish part up we might have more chance fo finding the true Annie Maule. I havent been able to find her death cert in Victoria even though somone on Rootsforum says she died in Ballarat in 1908.

The Wilson tree on Ancestry is mine - I am putting every piece of info I find on it.

Amy is my 16yo son's girlfriend. She knows nothing about her family.

I found Daniel Edward Brown by googling Annie Maule - family folk law says the family were in Graytown and Ballarat on the goldfields.

If I could only prove she married McNab before coming to Austrailia I would have a place to start.

Thanks for helping, cheers Ted

Modified to add found Daniel on the graytown cemetery website

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 16 October 10 10:24 BST (UK) »
I wouldn't pin too many hopes on the finding of a marriage entry for John McNab and Ann. This is all before the start of official registration in Scotland (1855). If you were to have found an entry for the marriage, it would be from the Old Parish Registers which, in the main, include no more than a one line entry, very much what you find on the index on IGI. Very seldom, you might find a reference to a father's name for the bride but most of the time this info was not added to the parish entries. I also can't see any reference to the marriage or the childrens' births or christenings. It may be that events were not registered/ the family belonged to a different denomination to that of the established Church of Scotland/ registers have been lost or destroyed over the years.

Monica

Offline tedscout

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 16 October 10 10:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Monica - I know nothing about Scotland. Never researched there before I started to help Amy.