Author Topic: Reverend John William Conway Hughes  (Read 13549 times)

Offline queenie3

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Reverend John William Conway Hughes
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 17 October 10 01:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Jubed
Thanks for this information. Seems like Reverend Conway Hughes married for a second time - Eliza age 28 -when he was in his mid 40's. I think it likely that the boy - Kevin age 3 and unnamed daughter i month old would be the children of Eliza.
I wonder when his first wife - Sarah - died?
Also the daughter listed as Catherine age 17 - I wonder whether this was my Gertrude  who had at least four names? The age and date are right for her.
I do appreciate all your help - it is hard to sort out family history from the Antipodes.
Atkinson. Empson. Overton. Lynch. Revell. Wood. Peagram. Stanford-Davis.Savins.

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 17 October 10 10:56 BST (UK) »
Some newspaper articles which mention him :

Saturday, October 29, 1842, The Standard (London),
University Intelligence - Oxford Oct 28
This day Mr. John William Conway Hughes, Commoner,  and ........., were elected and admitted Scholars of Corpus Christie College.

Monday, August 20, 1849, The Standard (London),
Marriages
On the 19th inst, at All Saints Church Southampton, John William Conway Hughes S.C.L., New Inn Hall, Oxford, to Sarah Anne Macdonald, only surviving child of the Rev James James, Vicar of Llanbadarn, Trefeglyws, Cardiganshire.

Friday, Dec 7, 1849, The Standard (London),
University Intelligence - Oxford Dec 6
In a Congregation ...., the following degrees were conferred,
Bachelor of Arts - Rev. John William Conway Hughes, New Inn Hall.

Monday, Dec 30, 1850, The Morning Post (London),
Ecclesiastical Intelligence
Ordinations - On the Festival of St. Thomas the Apostle.
By the Lord Bishop of Chichester :
Priests - ......, John William Conway Hughes B.A., New Inn Hall, Oxford.

Friday, June 20, 1851, The Standard (London),
University Intelligence - Oxford June 19
In a Congregation ...., the following degrees were conferred,
Master of Arts - ......., Rev. John William Conway Hughes, New Inn Hall.

Saturday, June 18, 1853, The Morning Chronicle (London),
Ecclesiastical - Preferments and Appointments
The  Bishop of Rochester has appointed the following gentlemen to appointments in his diocese.
The Rev J.W. Conway Hughes B.A., and ..., to the curacies of Mistley and Bradfield, near Manningtree.

Thursday, May 21, 1874, The Morning Post (London),
Consular Chaplains,
List of Consular Chaplains included for votes in 1873.
Rev. John William Conway Hughes M.A. - Corfu.

Wednesday, June 30, 1875, Hampshire Telegraph,
Marriages
Fletcher - Conway Hughes, On the 24th Inst., at the British Consulate, and afterwards by the father of the bride, at Holy Trinity Church Corfu, William Bainbridge Fletcher Esq, Surgeon RN, HMS Wizard, eldest son of the Rev William Fletcher, ...., to Christine Adriana Sidney, third daughter of the Rev J.W. Conway Hughes, M.A., Consular Chaplain at Corfu.

Wednesday, October 17, 1883, The Liverpool Mercury.
Diocese of York
His Grace the Archbishop of York .... on Monday admitted the following clergymen to their respective benefices - ... Rev. John William Conway Hughes M.A. to the curacy of Wragby.

Friday, January 25, 1884,  Royal Cornwall Gazette,
Deaths
Boscawen, at Wellington, New Zealand, Katherine Ysabel, second daughter of the Rev J.W. Conway Hughes, M.A, late of Corfu, wife of Hugh Boscawen, eldest son of the Hon and Rev., J.T. Boscawen, Lamorran, Truro, aged 29.

Saturday, October 24, 1885, The Hampshire Telegraph,
Marriages
Dobbyn - Conway Hughes. On Thursday October 22nd, at St. Judes Southsea, by the Rev J.W. Conway-Hughes, father of the bride ....., John Stephen Dobbyn M.D., Fleet Surgeon, RN, HMS Rupert, younger son of the late Rev W.H. Dobbyn M.A., to Irene Marie, youngest daughter of the Rev J.W. Conway Hughes M.A, late consular chaplain at Corfu.

Alan.
Northumberland - Smith, Willis,
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Cumberland - Irving, Hill
North Yorkshire - Layfield,
Ireland - Collins

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 17 October 10 11:46 BST (UK) »
1861 census
Kimbolton, Hunts
John WC HUGHES (wid, lodger) 35 Curate of Kimbolton Master of Arts of N I H Oxford, Oxford Holywell

RG9/983/66/1
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline jubed

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 17 October 10 14:56 BST (UK) »
Hi again.1861 CENSUS-
4 St ANNS TERRACE LAMBETH BRIXTON
Catherine Hughes 8 SCHOLAR b Normandy
Christina Hughes 6 scholar b Normandy
at private school run.by William and Louisa Humphries with their 3 daughters ,Louisa,Mary and Elizabeth all schoolmistresses.There are only 3 pupils at the school with a cook and gen servant.
Gertrude and Irene were with grandma so perhaps  Gertrude and Catherine were  born same year as Catherine is mentioned as 2nd daughter in her death announcement .Also looks as if unnamed daughter 1871 didn't survive as Irene is mentioned as youngest daughter(see Wolfie's post)
Perhaps Gertrude stayed with Grandma as she is not at home in 1871
Best wishes Julie
Sussex-Bedwell.Perthshire, Stirlingshire-Comrie.East Yorkshire-Berry,Bostock.Cumberland,Durham-Smith,Douglas.

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 17 October 10 16:56 BST (UK) »
Birth on FreeBMD :
Jun qtr 1853, Gertrude Helen Alicia Gwendolen Hughes, Tendring Essex. 4a 194.

From Crockfords Clerical Directory, 1885.

Conway-Hughes, John William
Wragby Wakefield, Trin Coll Ox, afterwards School of CCC Ox, and NIH Ox. SCL and BA (3rd cl Lit Hum) 1849, MA 1850, D. 1849 P. 1850 Chichester. C. in charge of Wragby Nostell Dio York 1883. FC in charge of Kimbolton, Hunts 1860-1861. Cons Chap at Corfu 1870-1882.
Then mentions some books he wrote/edited, two in France in the 1850's.

Alan. 

Durham - Rogerson, Child
Ireland - Collins

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 17 October 10 17:43 BST (UK) »
From the Book of Oxford University Alumni :

Hughes, Rev John William Conway, 1S. John William, of Holywell, Oxford (city) cler. Trinity Coll, matric 24 May 1842, aged 18. Scholar Corpus Christie Coll 1842-1845, New Inn Hall B.A. 1849, M.A. 1851, consular chaplain at Corfu 1870-1882, for list of his works - see Crockford. See also St Pauls School Registers p292.

From St. Pauls School, London, Registers :

Admitted Oct 13 1835, John William Conway Hughes, aged 11, son of John William Hughes, clergyman, Oxford.
Removed to Winchester College ; Fox and Burton Exhibitioner ; Scholar of Corpus Christie College ; BA (New Inn Hall, third class Lit Hum) 1849. HM chaplain in the Ionian Islands.

Alan.
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Ireland - Collins

Offline queenie3

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 17 October 10 19:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much.
The information all of you have supplied is invaluable.
There had always been some dispute in regard the actual birth place of Gwendolen - and that has been confirmed by the information provided.
Some of the other information I had but was in the form of 'family legend' and not verified. It is now - thanks again.
I do wonder when /where the first wife died - perhaps in France? which would make sense of the children being placed in the care of their paternal grandmother.
I note that there is no mention of the first born child - Lionel - I wonder whether he died as a baby while his parents were residing in Ashurst?
And another thing I wonder about is Conway Hughes's second marriage - who is Eliza? and where did they marry and when did she depart the scene - and her children -at least two -  Kevin and unamed daughter. There are so many 'holes' in the family history, aren't there?
It seems as though the daughters all married well. Again thank very much.

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 17 October 10 19:55 BST (UK) »
From the Index of Wills :
The Will of the Reverend John William Conway Hughes, formerly British Consular Chaplain at Corfu in Greece, but late of Nydd Vicarage near Leeds in the County of York, Clerk, who died 13 August 1887 at Nydd Vicarage, was proved at the Principal Registry by Elizabeth Ann Hughes of Nydd Vicarage, Widow, the Relict, the sole Executrix.
Personal Estate £1463.

In 1871 Eliza/Elizabeth is born Devon.
A marriage, March qtr 1867, Weymouth Devon. John Conway Hughes, one of the two possible brides is Elizabeth Blewett. Weymouth 5a 457.

Alan.
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Ireland - Collins

Offline queenie3

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 20 October 10 09:33 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to you kind souls!
I have managed to get a photo of John William Conway Hughes headstone, which with the information from this thread, has been of tremendous help to me.
 :)