Author Topic: McKenzies of Rosshire  (Read 4317 times)

Offline rdarby

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McKenzies of Rosshire
« on: Saturday 16 October 10 13:02 BST (UK) »
I have finally tracked my roots on the McKenzie line back to my great,great,great grandfather. Hugh McKenzie who was born in Invergordon in or about 1767. He married Bridget Erskine about 1802. It is possible she may have come from Ireland, or maybe Kirkcudbright, where they settled for some time and had several children including: Hugh b.6/10/1804, John b.9/5/1806 and Kenneth b.8/8/1806. The family went to St Johns, New Brunswick where they farmed for a few years in the 1830's, then in 1840 set sail for Australia in 1840 in their own vessel, the Brothers. They landed at Albany, Western Australia in January 1841, where Hugh Snr died.My gr gr grandfather was Kenneth, who was for a time a grocer in Sydney, New South Wales. His son, William, eventually made his way to Ballarat, Victoria, and his daughter, Rose was my grandmother.
I cannot find a birth record for Hugh McKenzie, Snr from Invergordon c. 1767. so that is my brickwall as far as going back any further. Any suggestions?
Darbys from Deal area, Allans Aberdeenshire/Banffshire, Ogles  Northumberland, McKenzies and Burgess  Kirkudbright/Dumfries, Campbells  Sutherlandshire, Malcolms Kincardine,Sheppeards Suffolk

Offline Judybelle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: McKenzies of Rosshire
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 April 16 11:31 BST (UK) »
I have information about Hugh who arrived in Albany, let me know if you are still searching.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 April 16 21:52 BST (UK) »
rdarby,  try looking for Uistean, Gaelic for Hugh.

Skoosh.

Offline rdarby

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 April 16 00:44 BST (UK) »
I have information about Hugh who arrived in Albany, let me know if you are still searching.
Yes, I'm still looking!
I know a fair bit about Hugh's exploits from 1827 on, but nothing much before that except that he served with the Seaforth Highlanders in the late 1790's.
Anything you have would be welcome, and if we are related, that would be nice to know too.
Roger
Darbys from Deal area, Allans Aberdeenshire/Banffshire, Ogles  Northumberland, McKenzies and Burgess  Kirkudbright/Dumfries, Campbells  Sutherlandshire, Malcolms Kincardine,Sheppeards Suffolk

Offline Judybelle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 April 16 03:10 BST (UK) »
I have a bit of material from his arrival in Albany.
As for before then, you seem to have more than I

I too have tried to search birth records etc to no avail. What is your material  between 1827 and when he left for New  Zealand but ended up having to stay in Albany.  I will read through some of may paper work and give you any further information I have.

I am in Perth, the descendant of Hugh's son Hugh, then John then Ernest then John.Bing in Victoria you may well be the descendant of the McKenzie's who travelled on from Albany, Kenneth, Edward or John.I would appreciate keeping in touch and sharing. :) 

Offline rdarby

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 April 16 23:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Judybelle,
I can let you have some information about the family in Canada and some information about The Brothers, their ship.
I live in Ballarat where my grandmother Rose McKenzie lived before she married my grandfather Thomas Darby. Could you please send me your email address as it is easier to send information directly. My email is rjrmdarby@gmail.com
Regards, Roger

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 08 April 16 00:55 BST (UK) »
rdarby,  try looking for Uistean, Gaelic for Hugh.

Skoosh.

Hi Skoosh,

There are several variants for the name Hugh, some of which I have encountered to date with South Uist (Gaelic speaking) relatives.......

Eoghan, Ewen, Ewan, Evan & Uisdean.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 08 April 16 12:12 BST (UK) »
Annie,  in Easter Ross I think it would be Uisdean.

Skoosh.