Author Topic: Buried without Church of England Rites  (Read 3090 times)

Offline Ardwyn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Buried without Church of England Rites
« on: Saturday 16 October 10 17:44 BST (UK) »
Please could someone tell me what 'Buried without Church of England rites' means please?

I have found it in a few places on Nercwys burial register, one of them being on the burial of Edward Davies from Rhos Ithel on 7 may 1891. I did consider it might be because he was a nonconformist, but his brother, John Davies, the Calvinist Methodist minister did not have this recorded against his burial.

Thanks,
Buffy
Arden, Millington, Robinson, Willis - Cheshire
Goodwin, Edwards, Thomas, Jones, Cooper - Flintshire/Denbighshire
Edgoose/Edmunds - Hampshire/Surrey/East Anglia
Arnold/Blundell/Down - Surrey/Dorset/Wiltshire
Hartshorn - Hertfordshire, Kent, London
Self - London/Surrey

Offline Eldon

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright,
    • View Profile
Re: Buried without Church of England Rites
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 October 10 19:33 BST (UK) »
This is the Burial law Amendment Act of 1880.
Google 'OPSI.Gov.uk' and search for the act.

I have copied section 1 of 16 sections . The other sections say how the burial is to be done. Quite interesting.

.1 After passing of Act notice may be given that burial will take place in churchyard or graveyard without the rites of the Church of England .Any relative, friend, or legal representative having the charge of or being responsible for the burial of a deceased person may give forty-eight hours notice in writing, indorsed on the outside “Notice of Burial,” to, or leave or cause the same to be left at the usual place of abode of the rector, vicar, or other incumbent, or in his absence the officiating minister in charge of any parish or ecclesiastical district or place, or any person appointed by him to receive such notice, that it is intended that such deceased person shall be buried within the churchyard or graveyard of such parish or ecclesiastical district or place without the performance, in the manner prescribed by law, of the service for the burial of the dead according to the rites of the Church of England, and after receiving such notice no rector, vicar, incumbent, or officiating minister shall be liable to any censure or penalty, ecclesiastical or civil, for permitting any such burial as aforesaid. Such notice shall be in writing, plainly signed with the name and stating the address of the person giving it, and shall be in the form or to the effect of Schedule (A.) annexed to this Act.
ithout the consent of the vicar. The service can be in any form

Hill in Tavistock, Twose and Coles in Halberton, Flower in Havant and Wells.
Negus in Polebrook  Jones in Kingswinford, Phillips in Chirk, Dodd in Cheshire

Offline BORRI

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 October 10 21:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Buffy
As I understand it this is something that happens if the person being buried has committed suicide.

They must be buried at night or at least after a certain time, about 9pm I think and no service must take place.

I think this only applies if the coroner states suicide, if he says while of unsound mind or something along that line it doesn't count as suicide and a service may take place.

Hope this helps, Borri.

Norris-Oxfordshire/Berkshire/Middx
Barrett-Bucks/Middx
Soth-East Prussia

Offline Eldon

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 October 10 16:32 BST (UK) »
Section 3 of this act specifies the time of day that a burial will be conducted.
Summer time===10am to 6pm
Winter time====10am to 3pm.
excluding Sunday, Good Friday and Christmas Day.

Section 9: The deceased must have had the right to be buried there in the first place. The service can be in any form and any Christian service includes those of dissenting faiths.

Section 12 Burial in unconsecrated land. To me that's the beginning of being buried in your own garden.

I have seen similar entries on burials, simply as 'burial law amendment act'

About 15 years later the Public Cementeries came into place and Churches did not have to provide for graveyards.
Hill in Tavistock, Twose and Coles in Halberton, Flower in Havant and Wells.
Negus in Polebrook  Jones in Kingswinford, Phillips in Chirk, Dodd in Cheshire

Offline Ardwyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 October 10 17:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you Eldon and Borri for the replies - a great help.

Buffy
Arden, Millington, Robinson, Willis - Cheshire
Goodwin, Edwards, Thomas, Jones, Cooper - Flintshire/Denbighshire
Edgoose/Edmunds - Hampshire/Surrey/East Anglia
Arnold/Blundell/Down - Surrey/Dorset/Wiltshire
Hartshorn - Hertfordshire, Kent, London
Self - London/Surrey