Author Topic: HUGHES Obit  (Read 2440 times)

Offline acaciabound

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HUGHES Obit
« on: Sunday 17 October 10 10:24 BST (UK) »
Hi

Does anyone have obits for either:

Gwendolyn Mary Hughes died Jan 29 2007 or William George Hughes died Nov 29 2003 in Victoria

Offline Raylen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: HUGHES Obit
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 October 10 12:51 BST (UK) »

Gwendolyn Mary Hughes died Jan 29 2007
notice in Herald Sun dated 30/1/2007

William George Hughes died Nov 29 2003
notice in Herald Sun dated 1/12/2003

If noone can do a look up for you, this might be useful

Death notices published in the Melbourne Herald Sun
between 1/1/1998 and up to 35 days prior to current date

http://tributes.heraldsun.com.au/HeraldSun-AU/Obituaries.asp?Page=ArchiveSearchGateway

Searches are free; results will display the name and first 25 words of the death notice.
There is a $4.95 AUD fee to view the full text of a death notice. Once purchased, the
full text of the death notice, photograph (if available) and Guest Book will be online for 24 hours.

Raylen
Tuck-Baydon,Wiltshire
Woolford-Hampshire
Christie-Stirling

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 October 10 03:52 BST (UK) »
Death Notice
Herald-Sun, Monday, December1 2003
HUGHES, William George (Jim). July 10, 1914 - Nov 29 2003.  Dearly loved husband of Gwen for a happy 65 years.  Loved and loving father of Joan, Ross and Barbara.  Father-in-law of June and Brian.
At peace in God's care.

HUGHES Jim.  Much loved brother-in-law of Pat and Tom.  Uncle of Russell, Bronwyn and Ange.  Deepest sympathy too Gwen, Joan, Ross, Babara , June and Brian. - Anthony and Vavlitis families.

Herald-Sun, Tuesday, December 2 2003
Death Notice
HUGHES - The Directors and all Members of the Prixcar's team regeret the passing of William George (Jim).  Deepest sympathy.

Funeral Notice
Mass at St Leo the Great Church, Altona North on Wed 3 Dec then to Memorial Park Crematorium, Altona North.  Undertakers: S A Hollibone, Footscray and Altona.

Death Notices
Herald-Sun, Tuesday, January 30, 2007
HUGHES, Gwendolyn Mary (Gwen).   Passed away peacefully Jan 29, 2007 aged 94. Beloved wife of Jim (dec).  Dearly loved mother of Joan, Ross and Barbara; loved mother-in-law of June and Brian and a much loved grandmother.  Our thanks to all at Hazeldeane Nursing Home.  Farewell to a Daydream Believer.
HUGHES (Morrison) - Gwen.  Loved eldest child of Angus and Bridget (both deceased), dear sister of Mavis, Nance, Bill, Danny, Monica, Kathleen, Valma, Alice, Norma, Archie (all dec), Pattie and Margie.

HUGHES Gwen - Dearly loved sister of Margaret, sister-in-law of Kevin Higgins, loved auntie of Tracy, Morgan, Meredith and Brooke (dec).

Funeral: Requiem Mass at St Mary's Catholic Church, Williamstown, Feb 1.  Private cremation.  Undertakers - same as Jim's

Cheers, Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline acaciabound

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 October 10 04:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Judith,
thanks for that. Much appreicated.
Can I ask how you get or where the info comes from.
Acacia

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 October 10 04:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Acacia

I use the National Library of Australia's collection of newspapers which includes most papers either on film or hard copy.  I usually come here once a week or so and am happy to do look-ups for people.  The only difficulty is that the papers are filmed or stored in date order and have no indexes so it's impossible to look up a notice if only the year is available, especially, obviously, big capital city papers.  Not too bad for some of the smaller country ones if I have the month as some of them are only published weekly.

Their holdings cover lots that are not on their digi site which finishes at 1954 anyway.

Judith :)
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

Offline acaciabound

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 October 10 11:54 BST (UK) »
I have about another 10 if you are interested in looking them up at anytime, just let me know and I will send them to you.

For anybody else reading this also:
I have been collecting obits from late 2009 Herald Sun if anybody needs a lookup and I have disk from 1988 to
1992 that has names and dates of when obits were in paper.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 21 October 10 03:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Acacia

PM me your list and I'll do a few each time I come  ;D

Judith

Offline Thornett

• RootsChat Member
  • Ada Martha Louise THORNETT & Robert John LEIGHTON
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 22 October 10 07:29 BST (UK) »
If noone can do a look up for you, this might be useful

Death notices published in the Melbourne Herald Sun
between 1/1/1998 and up to 35 days prior to current date

http://tributes.heraldsun.com.au/HeraldSun-AU/Obituaries.asp?Page=ArchiveSearchGateway

Searches are free; results will display the name and first 25 words of the death notice.
There is a $4.95 AUD fee to view the full text of a death notice. Once purchased, the
full text of the death notice, photograph (if available) and Guest Book will be online for 24 hours.

Raylen

Sorry about this post being off topic but thank you so much for bringing this website to my attention, in the last couple of days it has answered a few tough questions for me.
Living in Perth, Western Australia and researching

George & Helen LEIGHTON [McNAUGHTON] from Dundee, emigrated to Melbourne in 1854
John & Ann BOOTH [DOWSON] from Durham, emigrated to Melbourne in 1852
James & Mary THORNETT [BROWN] from Oxfordshire/Cheshire, emigrated to Adelaide in 1876
John & Alice THORNETT [CARPENTER] from Oxfordshire, emigrated to Adelaide in 1877