Author Topic: 1st/6th Battallion Welsh Regiment  (Read 4057 times)

Offline Gene Genius

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
1st/6th Battallion Welsh Regiment
« on: Sunday 17 October 10 14:46 BST (UK) »
Can someone explain to me what 1st/6th means please? I do not understand military terms at all.

My grandad was a member of this regiment but I believe it was "raised" in South Wales somewhere.

He was a Scotsman living in Wrexham, North Wales at the time so why would he be part of a South Wales regiment?

Were there not any divisions of the Welsh Regiment in the north of Wales at the time?

I am having terrible difficulty finding out about my grandad so am hoping that if I can find out anything about his regiment instead that this will help me.

He died on 25th November 1918 in France.

Where might I get hold of something that might have a physical description of him?

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: 1st/6th Battallion Welsh Regiment
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 October 10 14:53 BST (UK) »
hi,,can u tell us his name and when and where he was born?  ;)
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gene Genius

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 October 10 14:57 BST (UK) »
I don't know if I dare. I have posted about my Grandad before and been told off for posting more than once on the same subject and then a long list of links appears which are my previous posts.

I don't know how it works on here.

The strory always was that my Grandad was born in Greenock but on the 1911 Census it stated Dundee. Either way I cannot find a birth certificate for him not with the name given for his father anyway.

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 October 10 15:01 BST (UK) »
i see now,,,its ok,,i have his name  ;)
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 October 10 15:05 BST (UK) »
have you checked on Ancestry if his service or pension record survives?

Offline Gene Genius

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 October 10 15:20 BST (UK) »
I used to look on Ancestry for things but my membership has lapsed now and I am a member of Find My Past instead and there doesn't seem to be anything there.

His name was spelt McD...... on any records I have found and yet my Dad always spelt his name with a MacD.....

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 17 October 10 15:39 BST (UK) »
maybe someone with access could have a look,,,,his details and service number are here

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=519288

Offline Gene Genius

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 17 October 10 15:44 BST (UK) »
Yes thank you but I have his details.

What I was after on this post really was information about the Regiment and their origins, where they fought etc. I had hoped that maybe someone's descendant may have these details.

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 17 October 10 16:09 BST (UK) »
see

http://www.1914-1918.net/welsh.htm

scroll down to 1/6th battalion,,,it tells you they became the pioneer battalion for the 1st division...if you scroll down and click on 1st division,,it tells you a timeline of battles etc.