Author Topic: Phelps Family From Gloucestershire  (Read 10682 times)

Online Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Phelps Family From Gloucestershire
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 13 May 17 21:19 BST (UK) »
Family appear on the 1939 register index. It includes Grandmother, which I don't understand if still living.
Born 1939 would make grandmother 78 which isn't that unusual these days.

Yes but my point is...if still living the record should be a closed one.
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 13 May 17 21:24 BST (UK) »
Family appear on the 1939 register index. It includes Grandmother, which I don't understand if still living.
Born 1939 would make grandmother 78 which isn't that unusual these days.

presumably as she has left the UK she's not on the NHS/NI lists so they've taken this as meaning she's dead and unlocked the file

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 14 May 17 08:51 BST (UK) »
A.....

Marriage at Gloucester St Catherine 4 August 1884

William James PHELPS - aged 25 - Bachelor : occupation, Moulder, residence, St Mary's Street
Father: Nathaniel PHELPS, occupation: Carpenter

Joyce Jemima ROBINS - aged 25, Spinster, father: James ROBINS, (deceased) labourer

William PHELPS signed his name, Joyce Jemima, signs with a X (so is unable to write)

witnesses: James & Sophia BREWER (signed with and X - again unable to write)

1891 Census
2 High Orchard Cottage
Gloucester

James PHELPS - 31, General dock labourer, all born Gloucester
Jemima - 32
Lily - 4
Charles H - 1
Minnie 1

----

A.... (On the 1901 census, has transcribed their name as PHILIPS)

25 Robinhood Street  (address in previous reply)

James W PHILIPS (should be PHELPS) - 43
Joyce J - 43 - Match Maker
Lily - 15
Minnie - 12
Ida C HYAM - 19 - married (born Brighton?)
Noria R ROBINS - 16 (cousin) Match Box Filler
Noria HYAM - 5 months - niece-

----

There is a tree on Ancestry

James William PHELPS

parents: Nathaniel PHELPS and Diana(h) DUNN

-----

1871 Census, Glos South Hamlet
Exhibition Street

PHELPS

Nathaniel PHELPS - aged 58, born Redmarly, Worcestershire
Dinah - 57 - born Tirley Glos
James W - 12 - Scholar, born Glos
+ his older brother Thomas aged 24, Shipping Clerk married with 2 children

-----

Forest of Dean Family History website (free to join just register)

http://www.forest-of-dean.net/

Baptism at Redmarley

11 April 1813

Nathaniel PHELPS, parents: Thomas (occupation: Miller) & Anne:

and a daughter Carolina in 1814 also at Redmarley

again on the Forest of Dean records

Marriage at Redmarley : 24 February 1812

Thomas PHELPS : residence: Redmarley D'Abitot

Ann FRYER - residence: Redmarly D'Abitot

(married by Licence)

Gloucestershire Marriage Licences have been transcribed on the Forest of Dean website, but Redmarley is in Worcestershire)

1841 Census, Glos St Mary de Lobe

Nathaniel PHELPS - 25 - Carpenter, not born in County
Dinah - 25 - born in County
Mary - 4
Jane - 2

Nathaniel PHELPS married Dinah DANN (as transcribed, looks like DUNN) - at Gloucester St John the Baptism 22 September 1834.

---

Another tree on A...... Thomas Cowcher PHELPS - 1790-1824 and Ann FRYER - 1781-1851

which goes back many generations around the Forest of Dean area

Offline TimPhlpsPsy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 12 January 19 20:24 GMT (UK) »
I'm new to this site and I don't find it to be particularly user friendly.  Is there a way to message just individuals on here?  I'm a descendant of one of a seemingly endless number of people named William Phelps from Gloucestershire England.  There was an immigration in the 1800's of at least 6 families worth of Phelps descendants that settled in North East Ohio that I've been trying to map out but I'm looking for information on the part of the tree that didn't make that trip.  Any help is appreciated. Most of what I have is speculation based on marriage and baptism documents found on ancestry.com

Thanks,
Tim Phelps

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 12 January 19 21:29 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat, Tim.

You will need to make two more posts and then you can use the a personal message facility.

To send PM’s you click on the the little sim card looking icon under a person’s name. This icon will be either white or green, indicating whether they are currently online or not. They don’t have to be online for you to send them a message.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline TimPhlpsPsy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 12 January 19 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the info, 2 more posts it is.  For anyone interested, in 1831 Joseph Pickering, the son of Mary Phelps and Joseph Rowles Pickering, and Ann Phelps, the daughter of John Phelps and Elizabeth Pickering, brought their family to America.  Both John Phelps and Mary Phelps appear to be children of William Phelps and Hester Young and siblings of the Thomas Phelps referenced elsewhere in this thread.  They lived in what is now the Forest of Dean district, left through the port at Bristol, arrived in New York, took the recently opened Erie Canal to the great lakes and settled in the area of Portage, Stark, and Columbiana Counties in North East Ohio.  A Year and a half later Joseph Pickering's brother William Phelps Pickering and his wife Mary Humpidge followed the same route with their family and they made that trip with Ann's brother William Phelps married to Ann (unknown).  A few years after them Joseph Pickering and William Pickering's sister Caroline Pickering who married Charles Haywood Jones arrived in the area.  Ann Phelps and William Phelps' brother Edwin who married Jane Berry arrived in the 1850's, Edwin died shortly thereafter and Jane remarried a Thomas Phelps (b. abt. 1800) who appears to have been a relative of Edwin, presumably another grandchild of William Phelps and Hester Young but I'm not sure which of their children he belongs to.  I descend from a group of 7 siblings born to a William and Ann Phelps, different from the pair mentioned above, possibly the William married to Ann Buston, possibly the William born to James Phelps who married Catherine Humpidge.  They came over without their parents in or around 1832, and some moved to Cedar County Iowa about 20 years later.  In all about 6 families worth of Phelps descendants totaling at least 44 people came over in the 1800's from Gloucestershire.  Again I think they were all descendants of siblings of the Thomas Phelps referenced here (James, Mary, and John).  The family relationships I have put together prior to their arrival here in the US are all speculative, corrections and new info is welcome.

Offline TimPhlpsPsy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 12 January 19 21:57 GMT (UK) »
I'm specifically interested in mapping out of the descendants of William Phelps and Hester Young, both to verify what I have put together on my tree, and to learn about family that remained in Europe or traveled to other places. 

Thanks,
Tim

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 13 January 19 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Have you registered with the  (free to join)

Forest of Dean Family History Trust

Thousands of records have been transcribed - and also has a forum.

https://forest-of-dean.net

The Forest of Dean Website - allows you to search for witnesses etc etc - which can be useful in working out family trees.

Also have Gloucestershire Marriage Allegations 1637-1837 and Marriage Bonds 1730-1823 - which normally gives extra information.  Quickly searching for Joseph PICKERING in this Section gives two records - one being the Bond, and the other being the Licence

both dated 7 November 1812

This is a mixture of Record 73820 (Bond) and 53935 ( Licence)

Joseph PICKERING aged 21, Bachelor Farmer, residence: Westbury Upon Severn
Ann PHELPS, Spinster, residence: Churchman

He signs

Witness 1: Joseph PICKERING a Farmer of Bully

The groom and Joseph PICKERING are bound in the sum of £500 To marry at Churcham