Author Topic: Richard Embleton of Newcastle - Help!  (Read 3544 times)

Offline Jolt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Richard Embleton of Newcastle - Help!
« on: Tuesday 19 October 10 22:14 BST (UK) »
I've been struggling with this for some time and hope that there's someone out there that might think of a new direction to take.
I can't find either a birth or death for my 3xg-grandfather Richard Embleton, but here's what I do know about him.

He was married to Elizabeth McKnight on 17 Nov 1812 at St John, Newcastle by licence. The licence states he is " age 21 and upwards".
They proceeded to have 11 children, all baptised at St John, the last being baptised 14 April 1829, and there is nothing in the transcript about Richard being deceased.
The death of their eldest son, Thomas, was announced in the Newcastle Courant 20th July 1833 and states that he is "Thomas, son of the late Mr Richard Embleton, tanner".
Richard makes the newspapers on several other occasions, mostly to do with his bankruptcy!  It is announced in the London Gazette on 12 Dec 1828 and describes him as "now or late of the Town and County of Newcastle" and continues to do so until 1 Dec 1829 when he is described as just "late".
I can't find a burial for either him or Thomas at any church in Newcastle or for any other Embleton children for that matter.
Would a bankrupty be pursued against someone who was dead?. Two of the assets sold as part of the bankruptcy were two life assurance policies for £1000 each, and these were advertised to be sold on 31 July 1829. Would he be alive or dead at that point?
I should point out that the parish records I've been looking at are the Bishop's Transcripts on LDS.
Anyone got any bright ideas of where to look next??
Berley; Currie (Newry); Dagnall; Dean (Cheshire);  Embleton (Newcastle upon Tyne); Harris (Liverpool); Kelly (Cork);Marcleton (St Helens);McKnight (Kilbride);  Moore (Shropshire); Nicholson; Nott (Shropshire); Smith (Whitehaven); Souter (Cheshire); Travis (Ashton upon Mersey);

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Embleton of Newcastle - Help!
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 October 10 22:59 BST (UK) »
Would you like to post his childrens names to save me time searching, as you already have their details,please
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline patrexjax

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 October 10 23:02 BST (UK) »
Hello jolt!  I don't know if this will help, but I have a fiche of the 1828 Pigot's Business Directory for Northumberland.  There are a number of Embletons listed and some could be YOUR Richard who may have actually been involved in more than a tannery business:
Ann Embleton, shop-keeper and dealer in sundries, 6 Pilgrim Street
Richard Embleton, tanner, Westgate
Richard Embleton, Forth Bank, Brass foundry and copper smith
Richard Embleton & Co., Iron foundry, Forth Bank
Richard Embleton & Co., Iron Merchant, Forth Bank

From this set of directory listings it is impossible to tell if your Richard may have been this "other" Richard, too.  I have a set of parliamentary registers for Newcastle for 1836 but this might be too late for your needs.  If you would like me to check that for any Embletons, please ask!!   ;D   Pat
ARCHIBALD/ARCHBALD: Tweedmouth, NBL; CHARLTON: Ponteland, NBL;
ERRINGTON: West Denton, NBL; 
FAIRLESS: Longbenton, NBL;
HARDING: Hollinside, Co. Durham;
KING: Newcastle-on-Tyne & Berwickshire;
LOCKEY: Ryton, Whickham, Co. Durham & YKS; NICHOLSON: Ponteland, Newburn, NBL; PAXTON: Norham, NBL;
PAULIN: Berwickshire; REAY, Ponteland, NBL;
SCOTT: Norham, NBL; SELBY: Tweedmouth, NBL;
SLIGH: Berwickshire; SPOOR: Whickham & Ryton;
WIDDRINGTON: NBL

Offline Jolt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 October 10 23:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Radcliff,
Thanks for the quick reply. The children are:

Elizabeth bap 25 Jun 1813
Ann bap 14 May 1814 (on 1841 census)
Thomas bap 13 Aug 1816 died 15 Jul 1833
George bap 11 Feb 1818
William Henry bap 21 Oct 1819 died 23 Jan 1879 ( my g-g- grandfather - I know quite a lot about him)
Ellen Maria bap 16 Mar 1821 (on 1841 & 1851 census)
Eleanor Maria bap 22 Apr 1822
Richard Edward Heaton bap 29 Aug 1823
Charlotte Faulkner bap 3 Jun 1825 (on 1841 census)
John McKnight bap 18 Sep 1826 (on 1841 census)
Charles James bap 14 Apr 1829 (on 1841 & 1851 census)
Where I've indicated that they are on the census that means that they are living with their mother at Dean Court in Newcastle on the census in those years.
Berley; Currie (Newry); Dagnall; Dean (Cheshire);  Embleton (Newcastle upon Tyne); Harris (Liverpool); Kelly (Cork);Marcleton (St Helens);McKnight (Kilbride);  Moore (Shropshire); Nicholson; Nott (Shropshire); Smith (Whitehaven); Souter (Cheshire); Travis (Ashton upon Mersey);

Offline Jolt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 October 10 23:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Pat,

In answer to your query, yes, all those Richard Embleton's are the same man. The real reason I want to find out where he is buried is so I can dig him up and throw stones at him for losing ALL that money!!!  ;D
What do the parliamentary registers tell you? Are they like electoral registers? If so, I doubt it's worth looking for my Embletons - they'd have been too poor to vote by then.  :-\
Thanks for replying,
Jo.

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 October 10 23:41 BST (UK) »
Richard is still listed as a tanner in 1829 Newcastle ,

There is a death recorded for a Richard,Castle Ward June 1845,I don't no his age or how to look it up sorry ,I think you would have to find the burial or order the certificate
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Jolt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 October 10 10:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Ratcliff,

Thanks for that, but I'm pretty certain that Richard died at some point between 1828 and 1833. I did wonder if he committed suicide and might not be buried in a churchyard. Is that likely, do you think?
Against this theory is that the suicide of a bankrupt industrialist would surely have made the papers, and it still leaves the problem of where Thomas is buried.

Thanks again for helping,

Jo.

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 20 October 10 12:31 BST (UK) »
Even if Richard did commit suicide he would still be recorded in the church records as being buried ,but it would state by his own hand,I have seen a few records for other people stating this ,they couldn't just put his body in a hole in a field,Thomas I will have a look for this afternoon,I did look over in Durham last night ,but I didn't find any thing positive,

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 21 October 10 18:05 BST (UK) »

Jolt,

What do you mean by " too poor to vote by then" ? 

Michael
Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
-------------------------------------------------------------------
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.