Author Topic: Richard Embleton of Newcastle - Help!  (Read 3548 times)

Offline Jolt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Embleton of Newcastle - Help!
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 21 October 10 20:28 BST (UK) »
I was thinking that you had to be a male landowner to vote at the time, but, having just looked in my British History book, it was that Reform Act of 1832 that extended the vote to men paying more that £10 a year in rent.  A female house holder wouldn't have had the vote at any rate.
Berley; Currie (Newry); Dagnall; Dean (Cheshire);  Embleton (Newcastle upon Tyne); Harris (Liverpool); Kelly (Cork);Marcleton (St Helens);McKnight (Kilbride);  Moore (Shropshire); Nicholson; Nott (Shropshire); Smith (Whitehaven); Souter (Cheshire); Travis (Ashton upon Mersey);

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 21 October 10 22:39 BST (UK) »

From snippetts in the newspapers, it would appear that Richard or his company Richard Embleton & Co was not just rich, but very rich !.

Although described as a "tanner" he had an iron foundry, several houses and property, at least two keel boats ( to take coal from Newcastle to ships lying in deeper water nearer mouth of the Tyne)

The Newcastle Courant of 12 Dec 1829 describes him as " late of the Town and County of Newcastle upon Tyne".    Taking this on face value, he must have died before 12 Dec 1829.

Have you searched for his death/burial in the records of Newcastle Parish Churches and Cemeteries ( eg Ballast Hills, Westgalte Hill) ?

Michael
Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 22 October 10 06:50 BST (UK) »
I checked the Canterbury Prerogative Court Index to Death Duty registeres.  One looks promising in that it probably involves this family

1825 February
Edward Embleton, administrator Richard Embleton, Newcastle upon Tyne vol 1 folio 51

I also checked for burials in surrounding parishes:
Longbenton, Wallsend, Gosforth, Newburn and across the river--Heworth, Whickham, Winlaton, Jarrow, and a little further out-Tynemouth and South Shields. Sorry I don't have Gateshead.

I also checked the national burial index.

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 22 October 10 06:57 BST (UK) »
The Newcastle Courant of 12 Dec 1829 describes him as " late of the Town and County of Newcastle upon Tyne".    Taking this on face value, he must have died before 12 Dec 1829.
Michael

Wouldn't this phrasing just mean that he used to live in Newcastle?  :-\

If he was dead, wouldn't it have said "the late Richard Embleton"?

:-\

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 22 October 10 10:14 BST (UK) »
Ruskie,

You could be right. I am not an expert in " journalese" of the 1820s and some of their reporting used quaint expressions.

Michael
Names.

Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
DIXON

Offline Jolt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 22 October 10 21:10 BST (UK) »
Hi folks,

Thanks for you hard work! Michael, I've searched all the parish cemeteries but not Ballast Hills. I didn't realise there was a municipal cemetery around at the time, so that's got to be my next port of call.
Janis, the Canterbury Prerogative Court Index looks very promising; I haven't come across an Edward before, so he would be a new piece of the puzzle.
As regards the use of "late of the Town and County of Newcastle", there is a usual terminology used in the London Gazette to announce a bankruptcy which starts " Whereas a Commission of Bankrupt is awarded and issued forth against X of the town of Y and County of Z"; in Richard's case, however, it states "Richard Embleton, now or late of the town and county of" as early as 12/12/1828 which to me indicates he might already be deceased.
Janis, thaks for your hard work. I've checked Gateshead and also Ryton (they had a country estate there), and every parish in Northumberland. I'm now determined to get in my car and drive up to Tyne & Wear Archives next week. Thanks to everyone for giving me a more precise avenues of enquiry.
Jo.
Berley; Currie (Newry); Dagnall; Dean (Cheshire);  Embleton (Newcastle upon Tyne); Harris (Liverpool); Kelly (Cork);Marcleton (St Helens);McKnight (Kilbride);  Moore (Shropshire); Nicholson; Nott (Shropshire); Smith (Whitehaven); Souter (Cheshire); Travis (Ashton upon Mersey);

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 22 October 10 21:32 BST (UK) »
Jo,  Today I had opportunity to browse Trade Directories in Newcastle Library.

The earliest entry I saw for Richard was in the 1811 directory

"Tanner. Richard Embleton  Westgate"

No sign of  him connected to other trades such as Iron, Brass etc

In Wilkinson's of 1821-22& 1823, he is listed as Tanner at West-gate and Iron Founder at Forth Banks

Pigot's 1822

The Brass Foundry ( Forth Banks) Brass Foundry ( Forth Banks) and Iron Merchants ( Forth Banks) are listed under " Richard Embleton and Co )

Ann listed under Shopkeepers/Dealers at 6 Pilgrim St.
Richard listed under Tanners at Westgate

Humbles of 1824 has Richard as Tanner at Darn Crook( adjacent to St Andrew's Parish Church) and West-gate.  And the company as Iron Foundry at Forth Banks.

Pigots 1828-1829. Brass Iron and Iron Merchants a;; Forth Banks, under company nam, Ann still at 6 Pilgrim St, and Richard listed individually as Tanner at westgate.

The Ihler directory 1833-34 has Ann with Eating House at 22 Pilgrim St

Pigots 1834 has Ann as shopkeeper at 6 Clayton Court, Pilgrim St.
No mention of Richard, but the only Iron Foundry in Forth Banks is " Robson Riddell and Co"  Did they get the company then ?

Michael
Names.

Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
DIXON

Offline Jolt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 24 October 10 09:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Michael,
It's very interesting that Robson Riddell got the iron-foundry as he's mentioned in one of the London Gazette announcements which, basically, sets a date for arbitration between Richard, Robson Riddell and John Wailes concerning the matter of the iron-foundry at Skinner Barn in Newcastle, which was being run by Richard Embleton and Robson Riddell in copartnership as Richard Embleton & Co. Riddell obviously bought Richard's share.

Thanks again,

Jo.