Author Topic: McIntyre: Arran/Holy Isle  (Read 59358 times)

Offline flyderaght

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
McIntyre: Arran/Holy Isle
« on: Saturday 09 April 05 05:46 BST (UK) »
I've found quite  a bit on the scotlands people website-excellent resource. My family were in the whiting bay area, plus the holy Isle where my grandfather John was born in 1902. His father was born in 1867 in blairmore. There is also a Cummings link.
Marc

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McIntyre: Arran/Holy Isle
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 April 05 09:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Flyderaght!

My family are also from Arran (now, there's a shock!!  ;D )

Specifically some were farmers on Holy Isle, which if you have seen it is not very big!  so at the very least we were neighbours!

Pleased to meet you!

Failing to remember which branch it was, but think it was the KELSOs.  will get back to you when the info is to hand.

kind regards

Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline flyderaght

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 April 05 08:05 BST (UK) »
Yes, my gr grandfather owned the original house where the monks are now based across from lamlash and owned around 100 acres of land if I've read the records correctly.
A question for anyone: Was or is it common for girls to be given full  first & last names of female ancestors? I've come across this and thought they were adoptees, but I think I'm correct to think the name has been passed down.
thx,
marc

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 April 05 08:45 BST (UK) »
Hello Marc

Certainly in my family there is not much variation in first names - lots of Janets, Williams and Alexanders.  In addition, many women are given a middle name which was originally the surname of a grandparent or great grand parent: "Janet McMillan McIntyre", that sort of thing.  The first name does not necessarily match - that is to say the grandparent in question was not necessarily Janet McMillan, but may have been Elizabeth McMillan.

I hope this makes sense!  I am in touch with some Arran McIntyres in Vancouver - will see what the link is!

My Holy Isle KELSOs were a family of 11 children, father Peter, and they were farmers and fishermen.  I have been to the farm in question and scrambled over the top of the island.  Unfortunately many of my records are presently inaccessible.

Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline flyderaght

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 April 05 01:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks, I wasn't aware of that, so when I looked at the records they did seem confusing, but it's now cleared up.
I wouldn't be terribly surprised if there isn't a distant connection with those McIntyre's. Could you keep me in the loop on that?
thx,
marc

Offline Yoric

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 26 August 05 13:36 BST (UK) »
Hi flyderaght
Came across this site accidentally whilst helping my wife with her family tree. On her tree John McIntyre who owned the house on the Holy Isle is her Gr Gr Gr Grandfather via her Granmothers side. If your intrested and require a picture of him you will find it in a book called 'Pictorial History of Arran' by Andrew Boyle, Pg 21, it's ISBN number is 0-907526-57-8 priced £8.50
Branchflower/Taylor/Smith: Somerset
Harding/Yeates/Pugh: Hereford
Williamson: Dundee
Puddephatt/Gates: Hertfordshire

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 26 August 05 15:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Yoric  :D

welcome to Rootschat!  What a happy discovery - I hope you will find that members can help you with your wife's tree.

I haven't seen the book you mention, but am about to go looking for it!  I have the older Book of Arran, which covers many aspects of the island's history and geology.

I am returning to the island in October if anyone needs (modern!) photos - I'll see what can be done.

Kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

Offline Yoric

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 27 August 05 16:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Arranroots,
Thanks for the nice welcome. 
In the afore mentioned book on Pg 99 there is a picture of a trading smack in the 1890's that owned by Kelso of Corrie. Their is also mention (Inc. Picture) of a Captain william Buchanan on Pg30. I hope you find the book useful.
Enjoy your holiday
Many thanks
Yoric
Branchflower/Taylor/Smith: Somerset
Harding/Yeates/Pugh: Hereford
Williamson: Dundee
Puddephatt/Gates: Hertfordshire

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 27 August 05 16:52 BST (UK) »
Aha!

The vessel in question will probably be The Roman, my grandfather's Clyde Puffer.  Sadly she was broken up some years ago, but we still have pictures to remember her by!

Good luck with your research and I hope Rootschat will be helpful to you.

Arranroots  ;)