Author Topic: McIntyre: Arran/Holy Isle  (Read 59177 times)

Offline Yoric

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: McIntyre: Arran/Holy Isle
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 16 October 05 22:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Arranroots,

First off, I hope you have a brilliant time in Arran.
There is only one thing I can think of at this present time, but please don't go out of your way to or let it ruin your holiday.
If you do manage to go over to the Holy Isle (or Grace might know) please could you inquire (photograph if poss) if the names still exist that were carved into the sandstone of the house. The names: Wm McIntyre and J McIntyre were apparently still visable in 1980 but wether there still their now, I don't know. William (1865) and John (1867) McIntyre were supposedly responsable for this.
Best wishes, Yoric
Branchflower/Taylor/Smith: Somerset
Harding/Yeates/Pugh: Hereford
Williamson: Dundee
Puddephatt/Gates: Hertfordshire

Offline flyderaght

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 18 October 05 06:22 BST (UK) »
Grace was kind enough to send me the contents of the file she has which includes pics of the sandstone etchings.
AR, any chance you've got those names here in vancouver?

marc

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 18 October 05 08:19 BST (UK) »
Hello Marc

I have been chatting with my dad about the exact link with the Vancouver folk (we call them cousins and visit them, but not sure exactly!)  ;D

We think now that their McIntyre people may have been from Ayrshire, but we share links with them in other branches of the tree.  Will have a word with them & with Grace & get back to you.

Arranroots on her way to Arran!

;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 30 October 05 15:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Guys!

Just back from an exhausting but VERY worthwhile trip!  Aside from the living rellies, I had access to photos and records of the ancestors, including a composite photo of my 2x gt grandparents & family at the time of their golden wedding!

Grace at the Heritage Centre is wonderful and her able assistant turns out to be a relative too - thanks for the lunch Jean!

Yoric: Grace does have the photos of the Holy Isle engravings still - best if you communicate direct with her about them.  We had torrential rain & no-one was all that keen to bob over to Holy Isle, so we admired it from the shore at Lamlash.

The Heritage Centre comprises all sorts of records and they aim to collect more as they are able: if you have any to contribute they would welcome them, i am sure.  I was given a family tree for BROWN while I was in Glasgow, which has been copied to the Museum archive and was being used to answer a query at the museum while I was there!

Marc, I am trying to work out the exact chronology, but it seems likely that your family were tenants of the Holy Isle either directly before or after my family.  All the land was held by the Arran estates and tenanted out.

Hope this is coherent after my 11 hour journey!

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Yoric

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 15 November 05 14:09 GMT (UK) »
Arranroots,
Thanks, I'll contact Grace.
Glad you enjoyed your holiday despite the weather.
All the best,
Yoric
Branchflower/Taylor/Smith: Somerset
Harding/Yeates/Pugh: Hereford
Williamson: Dundee
Puddephatt/Gates: Hertfordshire

Offline flyderaght

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 14 December 05 07:41 GMT (UK) »
thx folks much appreciated. Interestingly, I was at a cousins wedding recently and was showing the picture from the holy isle at the top showing our gr gr grandfather. My cousin piped up and said that he'd seen the same pic in his dad's collection and that there were many pics of people they don't know. i'd suspect that many of those pics came from scotland. now the fun part begins-prying the pics from them.
Stewart: we leave next wednesday(21st) for england. Not sure if we can meet up though as time is short this trip. by the way, congratulations on the new arrival!
marc ;D

Offline jackiemc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 02 March 06 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

I know this is quite an old thread but I have only come across it. 

My gr gr gr Grandfather was a John McIntyre 1828c  from Arran and he married a Janet Taylor. 

They had a son James 1854c who married an Ellen Findlay 07/06/1878.

They had a daughter Janet Taylor McIntyre 01/07/1883 who married a Thomas Davidson 06/06/1902.

They had at least nine children some born in Arran and the rest born in Mainland Scotland.  There youngest child, Janet Taylor McIntyre Davidson was my Grandmother.

I dont know much else as I have just started on the Arran side of the family.  There may be a connection there.

Jackie

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 02 March 06 15:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jackie

Welcome to Rootschat!!

You have just discovered the best source of help on the internet!

I would heartily recommend contacting the Arran Heritage Centre, as they are very helpful too.  I know that they are only there for a few hours a week in the winter (I believe Wednesdays) and their work is purely voluntary, but it might be worth the wait.  Alternatively a visit would be productive and can also be recommended.

I hope you find some links.

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

Offline flyderaght

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 04 March 06 03:32 GMT (UK) »
jackie, u have mail-welcome aboard cousin 8)
marc