Author Topic: McIntyre: Arran/Holy Isle  (Read 59182 times)

Offline flyderaght

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: McIntyre: Arran/Holy Isle
« Reply #81 on: Monday 23 January 17 01:59 GMT (UK) »
Tx Annie. good to know! ;D

Offline KAF62

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Sunday 13 January 19 12:50 GMT (UK) »
Arranroots - are we related?  Found this forum by accident whilst googling Holy Isle and my Great Grandmother's (who I never met) name - Isabella Kelso.  My grandmother, who I was mostly raised by in Norfolk was Flora Ruddock (nee Kelso).  She was born in 1896 and died in 1999 aged 102. She lived with her father Peter and mother Isabella on Holy Isle from around 1911 to 1920.  11 children in all I believe and my grandmother was the last to pass away.  I have some photos and newspaper articles about her and life on Holy Isle and made a video of her when she reached her 100th birthday in which she talks mostly about her wonderful life on Holy Isle.  When the island was bought by the Buddhists, they came to Norfolk to give a talk in Norwich and they invited her to present her with a beautiful framed picture of Holy Isle.  All throughout my childhood and adult life (she died when I was 37) she spoke with such love for the island and her beautiful parents.   Her heart was always in Scotland.  She was born at Ferry Cottage Blackwaterfoot along with all her siblings.  I would love to be in touch with you and to send you the articles and pictures.  Her daughter, Isabel, is my mother and she is still alive.  She's 91 now and I can't wait to visit her today to tell her about my find on this forum.  I believe my grandmothers parents rented the island from the Duke and Duchess of Montrose.  Hope to hear back from you.  Photo is of my nan on her 100th birthday.

Offline q98

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Sunday 13 January 19 14:44 GMT (UK) »
May I, as a "local" (Saltcoats born) offer some data you may not possess? The following information is extracted from Ardrossan & Saltcoats Herald (A&SH) BDM databases at   ayrshire-roots.co.uk 

Archibald Gray and Margaret McIntyre of Holy Isle celebrated their Silver Wedding anniversary during February 1903 (Notice, A&SH 20 February 1903).
Margaret Gray, daughter of Archibald Gray & Margaret McIntyre, died 15 July 1907 at South Stonyholm, Kilbirnie (In Memoriam,  A&SH, 17 July 1908 edition).
Archibald Gray died 14 May 1909 at Whiting Bay, Arran (In Memoriam, A&SH 19 May 1911 edition).
Margaret McIntyre, widow of Archibald Gray, died 02 June 1912, at Saltcoats aged 57 years (Notice A&SH 07 June 1912 and 30 May 1915 editions).
James McIntyre, husband of Jeannie Collins & eldest son of the late John McIntyre of Holy Isle died (possibly mid-late July) 1927 at Lamlash (Notice, A&SH 29 July 1927 edition).

Sincerely
q98
Fremantle, WA
q98
32.04'.04"S 115.48'.30"E
Hamilton, Kennedy, Lovell, McCreadie, Murray, Workman - Ayrshire, Scotland
Lovell - Texas, USA
McCreadie - Dunedin, NZ
Boyle - Eire
McCreadie, Wills, Wyatt - Queensland
Tait/Tate - Toronto, Canada
Workman, McEwan - OFS, South Africa

Offline flyderaght

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Sunday 13 January 19 23:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi there. Yes I am familiar with the names. Margaret would have been my gr grandfather John McIntyre's sister. I am also aware of the Grey connection. As to the Kelsos I have heard the name but as far as I know there is no connection, but you never know.
Marc

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Monday 14 January 19 00:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello, Kaf62. As your mother is happily still alive, you would be better to remove her name from your post. RootsChat has a policy of not naming living people or posting information which may identify them.
Interesting reading.
Cowban

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Saturday 27 August 22 17:15 BST (UK) »
Hi KAF62

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. What a wonderful story about Flora - thank you so much for posting about her. Yes, we are distantly related: she would have been my first cousin, twice removed, apparently. I have been lucky enough to visit the Holy Isle and climb from one end to the other, over the top. I hope you have also been able to get there.

I already had basic information about Flora's parentage but not her date of birth or death. I knew who she had married and am happy to hear that she had children and grandchildren and apparently a happy life. I share her love of Scotland, though I haven't been back for a while :)

I will try to DM you, if I can remember how!

Kind regards, Arranroots :)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Sunday 28 August 22 15:40 BST (UK) »
Hi KAF62

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. What a wonderful story about Flora - thank you so much for posting about her.

I will try to DM you, if I can remember how!

You can either click on the Personal Message symbol below a person's name or go to their profile.
KAF62 has posted only once so won't be able to use the personal message option yet.
Cowban

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Monday 29 August 22 01:20 BST (UK) »
if the names still exist that were carved into the sandstone of the house. The names: Wm McIntyre and J McIntyre were apparently still visable in 1980 but wether there still their now, I don't know. William (1865) and John (1867) McIntyre were supposedly responsable for this.
Can you tell us anything about the parents of William & John please?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline flyderaght

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Tuesday 30 August 22 21:25 BST (UK) »
Hello there. John and Williams' parents were John and Janet(Taylor) McIntyre. Yorics family and myself share the same tree.  I am the son Johns gr grandson. I am happy to help you in regards to info as much as I can. As an FYI the museum in Brodick has a great deal of info in regards to the family as well.
I am located in Canada