Author Topic: 1837online help please  (Read 1575 times)

Offline mmjones

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
1837online help please
« on: Saturday 09 April 05 07:04 BST (UK) »
Hello Listers,

Could someone tell me the way 1837online searches are done? Is it by name only then do you have to pay to view the age at death and the place to verify it is the right one? or is it searchable by both place and name? Thank you for any help.

Regards,

Lynn
Lancashire: RICKABY,GASKILL Yorkshire:SIMPSON,RICKABY,WOMERSLEY/WALMSLEY
Cambridgeshire, Whittlesea: WINTERTON,UPTON,CLARKE,WESTON,GREEN,SARGEANT/SARGENT
Ireland, Ulster, Antrim, Ballymena & Ballymoney: MCGARRY,ARMSTRONG,TAYLOR,WALLACE
Wales,Carmathenshire:JONES,REES, LEWIS, JOHN, WILLIAM, WILLIAMS, HOWELLS/HOWELL

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1837online help please
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 April 05 10:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Lynn

It is searchable by name only - you have to see the page to get the age, registration district and reference number - 1 credit.  I think you get 55 credits for £5.

It is a national index and there are four quarters for each year - unless it is a very uncommon name, there will usually be a page for each quarter for you to view.

Each view (1 credit) will show you the actual index page which has the name, registration district, age after 1866 and reference number - deaths.  Date of birth is in the death indexes from 1969.

Does that help?

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mmjones

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 April 05 16:25 BST (UK) »
Casalguidi,

I would like to ask someone to search for a death record for William Jones in 1956 and 1957 who has extra credits on 1837online and I was wondering if this would be a reasonable request or not?

Lynn   
Lancashire: RICKABY,GASKILL Yorkshire:SIMPSON,RICKABY,WOMERSLEY/WALMSLEY
Cambridgeshire, Whittlesea: WINTERTON,UPTON,CLARKE,WESTON,GREEN,SARGEANT/SARGENT
Ireland, Ulster, Antrim, Ballymena & Ballymoney: MCGARRY,ARMSTRONG,TAYLOR,WALLACE
Wales,Carmathenshire:JONES,REES, LEWIS, JOHN, WILLIAM, WILLIAMS, HOWELLS/HOWELL

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 April 05 17:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Lynn

Often people have odd credits left and don't mind doing a small search.  If you are pretty certain that you know when/where he died and how old he was at the time then it might be worthwhile posting a request on the Census & Resource Lookup Requests Board that you can find via the home page.

I suppose it might depend upon how many William JONES entries there are as to whether somebody will wish to search for him.

Best wishes

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk