Author Topic: BURNETT of Longford  (Read 6234 times)

Offline Glory1505

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BURNETT of Longford
« Reply #9 on: Friday 22 October 10 08:24 BST (UK) »
I've had a look on the Griffiths Valuation.

I believe his father's name was John Burnett and there are several in County Longford in the Parishes of Forgney, Mostrim and Taghsheenod so one of these must be him.

We got county westmeath from my Grandma but I think she must be mistaken as James Burnett constantly gives his place of birth as Longford.
Letting, Clout, Boys, Rickard, Godfrey, Burnett, Rolfe

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 03 November 10 11:31 GMT (UK) »
I was told there are no Irish birth certificates prior to the 1860s and am in England so can't visit the local parish.

A marriage cert should exist. The Irish civil registration system was introduced in April 1845 but was initially restricted to non-Catholic marriages. Births, deaths and Catholic marriages were not included.

Only in January 1864 did it become obligatory to register all births, marriages and deaths with the authorities at local registration districts.

http://www.irish-genealogy-toolkit.com/Irish-civil-registration.html
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 03 November 10 11:38 GMT (UK) »
I already posted that registration of births in Ireland started in 1864 at the start of this thread but wonder if the marriage didn't take place in England since the bride was born in Warwickshire and he was "working as a policeman in England by the 1850s."
English marriage certificates, like Irish ones, only list fathers' names and occupations and mothers' names are not included.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 03 November 10 14:01 GMT (UK) »
Yes that's why I was wondering if a marriage cert should exist which is why I posted;

"A marriage cert should exist. The Irish civil registration system was introduced in April 1845 but was initially restricted to non-Catholic marriages."

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 03 November 10 14:10 GMT (UK) »
Don't know if this one is related http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/8906f80934555 from Kenagh, Co Longford

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 03 November 10 15:02 GMT (UK) »
There is a marriage in www.freebmd.org.uk for a James Burnett to Sarah Ann Edmonds in Kensington district (volume 1a page 206). The marriage certificate should list his father's name and occupation.

However, this bit of you first post doesn't make sense: "James Burnett b. 1846, d. 1925.  We have him as being from Mullingar, Westmeath however frequently appears in the English census as from Longford. He was working as a policeman in England by the 1850s."

Also, if he was born in 1846 and was appearing in English records in 1850s it likely that he moved to England with his family so it would be worth searching for other Burnetts born in Ireland in the same area.

Hallmark-
Yes that's why I was wondering if a marriage cert should exist which is why I posted;

"A marriage cert should exist. The Irish civil registration system was introduced in April 1845 but was initially restricted to non-Catholic marriages."
Agree that a marriage certificate should exist but it would be in England not Ireland so no point in explaing about Irish civil registration.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!