Author Topic: Re: Ringsend MAP  (Read 14122 times)

Offline little alison

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Ringsend MAP
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 20 October 10 19:34 BST (UK) »
Right, now I know it was there in 1890.
I will check back - I was in touch with an architects' site way back.

..........That's www.dia.ie , and they said:
"I think that the Irish Glass Bottle Co. must have been built as the advertisement suggests.  The reference to the Irish Builder of 1 Feb 1871 which I cite says that glass and bottle works ‘are being erected’ on Charlotte Quay for the ‘Irish Glass Co.’ to designs by Thomas Holbrook. Contractor: Nolan & Son.   The 1874 PO directory in its street directory section for Ringsend shows that there was an Irish Glass Bottle Co.(props: J.A. & R. King) on Charlotte Quay and a Ringsend Bottle Works  (props: Robert Smyth, William Arthur and Robert William Smyth) on Fitzwilliam Quay."

I had found an advert in a Belfast paper (1870) that James Alexander King was going to build a bottle works in Ringsend - seemed my ggfather might have thought it a new opportunity.
That year he went to Dublin.
                                          Cheers,  Alison.

LITTLE - Lancs, Cheshire. Dumbarton, Dublin and Glasgow - and South Africa. Also Canada

PRICE, ALLEN, JONES, JACKSON - Gwersyllt and Wrexham

ANDREWS, DOWSE, MEMERY - Dublin, US, and Canada

Offline little alison

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: DUBLIN MAPS
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 20 October 10 19:36 BST (UK) »
Re not labelled - I think you are right - Alison
LITTLE - Lancs, Cheshire. Dumbarton, Dublin and Glasgow - and South Africa. Also Canada

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 20 October 10 19:46 BST (UK) »
The only reference to Glass or Bottles on (north) Lotts in 1879 is this one :

49 Warren Carson & Co., bottle stores

In 1872 the index mentions Dublin Glass Bottle works with two addresses :

North Lotts
  Sheriff St Upper

Unfortunately some pages around L an N are missing from my 1872 Thom's, so I cannot check North Lotts. The Upr Sheriff street address is listed as :

46 Upr Sheriff St - Dublin Glass Bottle Works
   Proprietor William Campbell
    his residence : 26 Gardiner's Place

Upper Sheriff Street is the section which is to the east and leads to the docks area. Since the works is at Sheriff St that would suggest that something else is at North Lotts - maybe stores, warehouse or office.

see extract of the 1880s map below showing the works ...

Shane

Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 20 October 10 19:58 BST (UK) »
just to follow up on the details in the 1879 directory :

The trade index has :

Dublin Glass Bottle Works, North Lotts and 46 Upr Sherrif St

but the street listing has Mr.Carson at North Lotts, and the works and proprietor as per 1872 :

49 Warren Carson & Co., bottle stores

46 Upr Sheriff St - Dublin Glass Bottle Works
  Proprietor William Campbell
   his residence : 26 Gardiner's Place

maybe W. Carson ran the stores for the company, and that's why he's listed at the address ?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline little alison

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 20 October 10 20:09 BST (UK) »
This is going so quickly that I got four alerts on your last post, while I was eating!
Thanks again, I feel this has really progressed, I have a much better idea of all the bottle works in Ringsend.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 20 October 10 20:33 BST (UK) »
one more for you....

See below for the glassworks on Fitzwilliam quay in 1880. It's located along the east bank of the river Dodder to the south of Ringsend Bridge.

and a link to the same location on the OSI map - Glassworks, Fitzwilliam Quay

It's listed in Thom's 1879 as :

Ringsend Glass Bottle Company, Fitzwilliam Quay, Ringsend
  proprietors : Robert Smyth, William Arthur

Shane

My Surname Interests

Offline little alison

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 21 October 10 15:29 BST (UK) »
I found another bottle works - the National Bottle Works (Atkinson's) at Cambridge Place, marked 'bottle works'.

The Hibernian Bottle Works looks as if it was in a very convenient place, right on the tip of the point by the river. I wonder why he did go bankrupt.

A very clever map - it does just what I want! - Alison

Offline little alison

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 29 October 10 14:16 BST (UK) »
Re http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,717547,733659,6

This map is very interesting.  Press 8, and the cross cursor should be in the middle of Gordon Street.
If you can set it for 1:5000 in the STATUS window, and set the HISTORIC LAYERS on to show Factories and Gas works, there are two more things visible.
a) there is yet another bottle factory marked on South Lotts Road

b) there are TWO gasometers clearly marked where I have only heard of one - now surviving as flats/hotel.

These aren't visible any bigger because the map isn't loading properly in this area. Anyone know of another bottle factory here?
Four of five that I have found already are connected with my near or more distant relatives! - any comments please! - Alison

Offline breener

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 25 January 19 04:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alison,
I have not posted on here[Rootschat]for many years.
So bear with me :)
I have been compiling a history of Ringsend & Irishtown for some years.
The attached pic,shows the Dodder river,with the Hibernian Glass works building & chimney,
,on the right side of what we
[locals]
call the point.The Liffey frontage of the works,was  formerly called Fishermans wharf,now York Road[although a block of apartments now built,retain that name.
Not to be confused with the Point depot,former rail depot#[facing in photo] on the North wall quayside..
[now the O2 arena#]
The other 'Ringsend bottle works' chimney, with some structures extant,is still along Fitzwilliam qy.at the junction with London-bridge Road.[which I have an old pic of also]
I was born beside the leadworks on Fitzwilliam str,but we moved when I was young.
My maternal Gt.grandfather[Thomas Dunne,died 1907, was a bottle blower in a couple of the works,inc' the Hibernian.He was also an organiser of the fore runner of trade unions known as 'combinations'.In my research on this,I gathered alot of complementary local info,so if interested in the local lore,regarding the men employed to go around waking the glass blowers for work[i.e. rapping on windows each morning]let me know.
[combinations,of workers,and trades,not affiliated to any other union,including bottle blowers &c]
Later,after it was taken over[post 1893?] by John Burke,the whiskey distiller of E & J Burke, established Dublin ,in 1849, who were the single  importer & bottler [for 80 years]of Arthur Guinness products to the USA,based in N.Y. between 1874-1953..and as they bottled all the G- products in N.Y....I reckon they may have acquired,  your John Little' Hibernian bottle plant in order to cut out any 'middle man'..The origins of the side street row of tenement houses,off Thorncastle street,called Whiskey Row*.stem from  the history of J.Burke'whiskey distiller, acquiring ownership of the Hibernian works.The  Hibernian name, does not end there,nor the works,for it became a meat processing plant '*The Irish Products Co.-Hibernian Works-'Fat melters,extractors & refiners[of edible and technical fats, cooked tripe,animal feeds &c'.I have not time now[tis 4 a.m.],nor the know how to add other snippets in photographic history to this post,but have other snippets to add,later if wanted...Worth mentioning,that once Dun Laoghaire[Dunleary]became the main point of embarkation for Britain,and elsewhere,Ringsend which had been the main port in use for such, became very industrialised,with salt works,leadworks,a half dozen plate-bottle glass works etc etc.I worked in the Irish G.B.works in the 1980s,on the 'hot end' as it was known,drawing up the molten red glowing hot, glass waste,which was traditionally known as 'bosh',drawn up, from a gathering pool,of bubbling hot water, at the end of the production line,using a 10' long drawbar,into a large barrow,the 'shovels' were akin to those once used by council workers to hoke out the water drains-shores with,but with much longer handles....thirsty work !The local sand was ideal for all glassmaking from what we call the 'shellybanks'.
* my maternal grandfather worked in the latter Hibernian works,known locally as the 'products'till he died ['67]as did his daughter, my late aunt .My mat.3xgt.grandparents lived on Whiskey Row,and within  the surrounding parish of St.Patrick.and were trawler[50 tonne ketch-smacks] owners/fishermen,the first of several generations of ours in the parish,on both sides.I do hope this helps broaden the scope a little.or fills out the 'picture'.will post more detail/images,if sought,
regards T.