Author Topic: Hawick, Edgerston, Ancrum, Gray, Riddle, Irvine, Smith, Scott, Turnbull  (Read 12457 times)

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hawick, Edgerston, Ancrum, Gray, Riddle, Irvine, Smith, Scott, Turnbull
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 20 March 11 15:01 GMT (UK) »
The IGI is the International Genealogical Index. It has flaws - of the "garbage in, garbage out" sort - but it's still an invaluable aid to finding out quickly where and when people with a particular name were born/baptised or married. Not so good for deaths. If you Google the full name you'll get to it. It's accessible via Family Search.

When I was researching my Pettigrews years ago I discovered that my ancestor Agnes Pettigrew's brother Daniel Pettigrew had moved to Beith in Ayrshire, not far from Kilmarnock. However, that is an area where the name Pettigrew has been common for centuries.

Harry

Offline janeli_1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 20 March 11 21:32 GMT (UK) »
For a number of reasons (no interest to any of you) I have had a slow down over the past few months.  Time to catch up especially with so much information coming my way.

Grant:  Oct 2010
I only had Jannet Smith 1758 but after getting on to scotlandspeople (which I very recently discovered)  I found what follows …..hopefully I am correct!  Any names in common?

1.Robert Smith (1722 - ) b: 1722 in Scotland
..... + Alison Irvine (1725 - 1801) b: 12 Sep 1725 in Hawick, Roxburgh, Scotland, m: 03 Apr 1748 in
Ancrum, Roxburghshire, Scotland, d: 03 Apr 1801
........... 2 John Smith (1749 - ) b: Abt. 1749 in Wilton, Roxburghshire, Scotland
........... 2 Thomas Smith (1751 - ) b: Abt. 1751 in Wilton, Roxburghshire, Scotland
........... 2 Walter Smith (1753 - ) b: Abt. 1753 in Wilton, Roxburghshire, Scotland
........... 2 James Smith (1755 - ) b: Abt. 1755 in Wilton, Roxburghshire, Scotland
........... 2 Jean Smith (1756 - ) b: Abt. 1756 in Wilton, Roxburghshire, Scotland
........... 2 Jannet Smith (1758 - 1818) b: Abt. 1758 in Wilton, Roxburghshire, Scotland, d: 03 Dec 1818
........... + Walter Irvine (1740 - 1806) b: 09 Apr 1740 in Monkscroft, Minto, Roxburghshire, Scotland, m:
29 Dec 1785 in Hawick, Roxburghshire, Scotland, d: 17 Mar 1806 in Scotland
........... 2 Nelly Smith (1762 - ) b: Abt. 1762 in Wilton, Roxburghshire, Scotland
........... 2 Robert Smith (1764 - ) b: Abt. 1764 in Wilton, Roxburghshire, Scotland
........... 2 Thomas Smith (1768 - ) b: Abt. 1768 in Wilton, Roxburghshire, Scotland

Esdel:  I think you and I have exhausted possibilities re Turnbull

Alastair, Harry:
I think we have a different James Gray.  Unfortunately a common name.  According to a letter written by my grandmother born 1882, her grandfather James Gray and Isabel McFarland were married in may of 1832.  They boarded a ship in Liverpool a few days later and sailed to Canada.  Isabel, sadly died of cholera in 1833.  James Gary married a second time.  Until I found the letter last year, I was unaware he had a wife before my 2X great grandmother Alison Irvine.
James’ parents were Gilbert Gray (1769-1843) and Margaret Riddle (1769-1854).  Gilbert was born Hawick, Margaret Scotland.  Both died in Canada.  An uncle of mine went to Scotland years ago to acquire this information.  The names carry through future generations.  I have no parents for either Gilbert or Margaret.

Any match??

Jan
 :) :)

Offline janeli_1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 10 May 11 17:47 BST (UK) »
Alastair, Harry:
I think we have a different James Gray.  Unfortunately a common name.  According to a letter written by my grandmother born 1882, her grandfather James Gray and Isabel McFarland were married in may of 1832.  They boarded a ship in Liverpool a few days later and sailed to Canada.  Isabel, sadly died of cholera in 1833.  James Gary married a second time.  Until I found the letter last year, I was unaware he had a wife before my 2X great grandmother Alison Irvine.
James’ parents were Gilbert Gray (1769-1843) and Margaret Riddle (1769-1854).  Gilbert was born Hawick, Margaret Scotland.  Both died in Canada.  An uncle of mine went to Scotland years ago to acquire this information.  The names carry through future generations.  I have no parents for either Gilbert or Margaret.

Any match??

Jan
 :) :)

I just found a copy of a note written by a minister re James Gray.  My grandmother's information was out by a year and wife's name incorrect.  So much for oral history!

This is to certify that James Gray, gardener, and Isabella Fairington, his wife, at this date leave the United Associate Congregation here, in full communion with the United  ______Church. 
It is signed John Hunter, Belford, May 14, 1833.

The name of the church looks something like  Luession or maybe Luepion.

This probably doesn't improve the connection, but maybe????
Jan

Offline Sunlaws

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 10 May 11 18:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan

The missing word you are looking for re the church is 'Secession'.

Isabel's name is more likely 'Fairnington': the IGI has a likely Isabel FAIRNINGTON christened in 1802.

Regards,

Lesley
Bradley, Gledhill, Dodson, Norcliffe, Kaye, Matthewman- all Berry Brow/Almondbury
Webster- Northowram
Brick wall: Maria Blaymires  c 1800 Northowram

Offline janeli_1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 10 May 11 19:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks!!!   Secession .............. of course!  Makes perfect sense!   I am trying to learn how to read the old handwriting but often miss by a mile!  I will try IGI again and maybe scotlandspeople.

Thanks so much for your help! 

Jan

Offline janeli_1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 12 May 11 16:01 BST (UK) »
This question is still in Hawick, Roxburgh but different family.    Adam Irvine and his family headed for Canada 1842.   I couldn't find census on ancestry but there is an 1841 census in scotlandspeople.    The  record is for Hawick and in front of each family is the name of the village/square/close etc.  It looks like Whiskyhouse.  Is that either a village or house or .....?   The children's names match perfectly except one (nickname?)   The girl is correctly  listed as 2 years older than the next sibling.  Birth/baptism clearly shows her as Janet but census might say Jessie?  Is that an unusual nickname for Janet?
Birth baptism for 3 of the children shows church as Auchterarder congregation about 1820.  Are the 2 locations close together?  Google helps with spelling but doesn't always help with exact locations.

Any help will be much appreciated!!

Jan

Offline Sunlaws

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 12 May 11 18:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan

Yes, the address is 'Whisky Houses' (nothing to do with whisky but a corruption of an earlier name), an area in what today is Slitrig Crescent.
Parts of the brewery where Adam would have worked still exist, and are listed- see:
http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/sc-51230-17-18-and-19-slitrig-crescent-

Modern postcode is TD9 0EN, so you can find an aerial view.

Yes, Jessie is a common nickname for 'Janet'.

The children were all baptised in Hawick at the parish (St. Mary's) church, which is very close to where Adam IRVINE lived and worked. The term 'Auchterarder congregation' is connected with the schisms which were developing in the Church of Scotland from the 1820's- a very long and complex story!

Regards
Lesley
Bradley, Gledhill, Dodson, Norcliffe, Kaye, Matthewman- all Berry Brow/Almondbury
Webster- Northowram
Brick wall: Maria Blaymires  c 1800 Northowram

Offline janeli_1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 12 May 11 21:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan

Yes, the address is 'Whisky Houses' (nothing to do with whisky but a corruption of an earlier name), an area in what today is Slitrig Crescent.
Parts of the brewery where Adam would have worked still exist, and are listed- see:
http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/sc-51230-17-18-and-19-slitrig-crescent-

Modern postcode is TD9 0EN, so you can find an aerial view.

Yes, Jessie is a common nickname for 'Janet'.

The children were all baptised in Hawick at the parish (St. Mary's) church, which is very close to where Adam IRVINE lived and worked. The term 'Auchterarder congregation' is connected with the schisms which were developing in the Church of Scotland from the 1820's- a very long and complex story!

Regards
Lesley

Wow, thanks so much, Lesley.  I have 10 children baptised in Hawick and sadly the 2 eldest died before the family emigrated.  From notes my mother had, I knew an Aunt Jessie raised my great grandmother when her mother died when she was only 4 years old.  Adam Irvine had a niece named Jessie and I just couldn't make it work!   I have so many ancestors in Scotland it is not frugal to overdo research on scotlandspeople (although i do do quite a bit!).   Since you have confirmed that Jessie was an AKA for Janet, everything has fallen into place....... even Janet/Jessie's marriage!   It never ceases to amaze me how one tiny bit of information can quickly snowball and tie previous knowledge together. 

I don't do well with Google maps but will get my husband to help. 

I am very excited to have the connection bringing my information together!

Jan

Offline Fiona513

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 26 August 15 10:57 BST (UK) »
Hi :-)
I have Scott, Gray, Turnbull in my tree from Hawick
Regards

Fiona