Author Topic: Crosby  (Read 9866 times)

Offline mstechr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Crosby
« on: Friday 22 October 10 01:37 BST (UK) »
I am trying to locate anything on my ancestor William Thomas Crosby.  William emmigrated to the US in the 1840's.  There is some confusion of the facts (nothing new, right?).  According to some information William was born 1842 and there are stories that he emmigrated with his family when he was 8 originally settling in Boston.  It's possible that William actually emmigrated in 1842 and was born earlier.  The only information I have to go on is that he came from Donegal.

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Crosby
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 October 10 11:17 BST (UK) »
Statutory recording of births began in Ireland in 1864. Before that you are largely reliant on church records, where they exist. To do that you really need to know the personís religion and parish or townland in Ireland. The usual sources for that information in the US are naturalization records, wills or obituaries.

Crosby is an unusual name in Donegal. There are no Crosbys living in Donegal in the 1901 census and only 2 in 1911 (both born another country). That may help.

I looked in Griffiths Valuation (compiled around 1860) and there are only 2 Crosby entries in it Ė a William Crosby and a John Crosby, both in Aughnish (which is about 10 miles north of Letterkenny, the county town). www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml

If you know Williamís religion, and you think Aughnish is where he may have come from, then you could focus your research on churches in that area. But you really need some confirmation that he comes from there. It is easy to say, well that must be his family and start making incorrect assumptions. (It would help to have his fatherís name. If you havenít got that you should get it from his death or marriage certificate).

If you look at the Irish Resources section on this board, itíll tell you where you will find the baptism records for the various churches in Ireland.
Elwyn

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 October 10 11:19 BST (UK) »
DONEGAL RESOURCES are actually at the top of this board and there's a separate thread for CHURCH RECORDS-
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,425763.0.html
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline mstechr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 02:53 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your help with my post.  I found a record for the marriage of William and Winifred Crosby but I don't see anything about his parents.  The marriage is recorded in a book by a priest with no mention of the parents.  Do you think additional information on this marriage might have been recorded with the county?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 08:10 GMT (UK) »
Civil registration of Catholic marriages began 1864 and registration of non-Catholic marriages in 1845- before these dates there were no marriage certificates and you have to reply on church records where they exist.

Offline tomby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 21:37 GMT (UK) »

Have you checked for variant spellings
There is a William Crosbie mentioned as applying  to register freehold 1829 -31 in the Barony of Kilmacrennan of which Aughnish is a parish
Link http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~donegal/kilmacfreeholders.htm

also there is a William Crosbie listed in the 1901 census in Ramelton which is also in the parish of Aughnish
link http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/results.jsp?census_year=1901&surname=crosbie&firstname=&county=Donegal&townland=&ded=&ag

tomby
Elliott Co.Derry, Ward Co.Derry, Quin Co.Down, Shanagher Co Roscommon,
Toner Co Donegal,

Offline mstechr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 23:56 GMT (UK) »
I should have clarified that William Thomas Crosby came to the US in the late 1830's or early 1840's depending on which birthday you believe.  William moved to the US with his parents when he was 8, or so the story goes.†

William married in Illinois in 1867.† I have a copy of the record from a book that a priest documented marriages in but I wonder if a marriage record exists in that county and if it would have his parents.† We know nothing about his parents.† I haven't found any descendant that has photos or info on William's parents and he isn't even that many generations back.† It's weird.

Civil registration of Catholic marriages began 1864 and registration of non-Catholic marriages in 1845- before these dates there were no marriage certificates and you have to reply on church records where they exist.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 20 January 11 10:44 GMT (UK) »
To find church records (many do not go back far enough to find your family) you usually need to know both the family's religion and where they lived- parish if not the actual townland- and then check what church records survive.

Have a look at Introduction to Irish Records and My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?.

Offline mstechr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 06 January 14 00:09 GMT (UK) »
I was recently able to discover that William Crosby was born in Carndonagh.  Although the exact year of his birth is unproven I believe it was 1836.  William had twin brothers born in the states in the late 1840's and his entire family shows up in Massachusetts, USA in the 1850 census.  So, I think William's family arrived around 1847 or 1848.

I believe William's parents were William Crosby and Anne Shea.  William is believed to be their only child so I suspect that they were married in the mid 1830's.  3 children were born to this couple before leaving Ireland, William Thomas, John and Patrick.

William was married in the US in a Catholic church so I am taking a leap to say his family was Catholic.

I am still not finding any information on this family in Donegal.  Any additional ideas?

Thanks.