Author Topic: Completed Marlow PRs - Hastings c1821  (Read 10856 times)

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Completed Marlow PRs - Hastings c1821
« Reply #27 on: Friday 19 January 18 02:51 GMT (UK) »
Just one point, St Luke is probably not the St Luke Church in Chelsea but the St, Luke's Parish in Islington. It shows up repeatedly in Hastings records.

Thanks for that Doug seems more like it.  :)
Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 21 January 18 03:08 GMT (UK) »
Glad this topic was resurrected, it prompted me to try again to find the Hill grandparents of Caroline Hannah Hill.  This time I believe I might have found them, a Daniel and Sarah Hill who had five children baptised 1783 to 1791 in Beddington Surrey, one of them a Daniel Hill born 1788 who might be the father of Caroline.

Unfortunately it wont be an easy task to link these possible grandparent, Daniel and Sarah Hill to Caroline's parents Daniel Hill and his wife Charlotte Louisa Russell because of the five children the possible grandparents, Daniel and Sarah, baptised, only the one named, as you would expect, Daniel, matches any names used by Daniel and Charlotte Hill.  Although Caroline's parents Daniel and Charlotte did name a daughter Sear, not sure if that is a variant of Sarah.

When Caroline's parents, Daniel Hill and Charlotte Russell, married at St George Hanover Square, Daniel was stated as being of Wandsworth, Wandsworth looks to be around 8 miles from Beddington Surrey. 

Offline DougTCanada

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 21 January 18 14:21 GMT (UK) »
Do we know for sure that Charlotte was a "Russell"? Could it be "Webb"? and that Caroline Hannah Hill's grandmother was named "Sarah"?  I had not bothered with finding Caroline's parents up to now and a quick search turned up a few candidates.
Hastings: Essex, Middlesex, Bucks and Berks. Canada too
Bullen: Essex, Canada, Australia

Offline DougTCanada

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 21 January 18 15:21 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps it would be better to continue the conversation about Caroline's family in your other thread about Caroline to keep all the info together for future searchers.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=446639.0

Offline DougTCanada

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 22 January 18 17:49 GMT (UK) »
We should be correct in assuming the parents of John Hastings b.1758 were William and Mary whose death was recorded in the Little Marlow Parish Register in 1791 and 1796 (from the information earlier in this thread). They may or may not be from Cookham originally but by the process of elimination they most likely are.

As you pointed out, just going by the process of elimination, the best candidate for his grandfather is William Hastings baptized 1727 in Hagbourne  - Father William, Mother Elizabeth.

There is one more candidate in William Hastings baptized 1728 in Hagbourne - Father John, Mother Mary.
This John and Mary had at least 8 children in Hagbourne between 1727 and 1739.

William and Elizabeth Hastings may be far more interesting as they had just 2 born in Hagbourne. William Hastings b. 1726 and William Hastings b. 1727. The one born in 1726 likely died. Then they disappear but a couple of years later a William and Francis Hastings appear in Cookham and have at least 3 children between 1731 and 1736. 

Possible scenario where William's first wife Elizabeth passes away after the birth of William b. 1727. He then meets and marries Frances in Cookham bring along his son William b. 1727 which gives a nice explanation as to how William came to live in Cookham and marry Mary and have a son - our John b. 1758.

Sounds good but how to prove lol.

I believe I have a good candidate for John Hastings father of Jonathon from the IGI batch # P008651, John Hastings son of William & Mary. baptised 6 Aug 1758 at Cookham, Berkshire. 
I need to check this John out in the burials for Cookham before I can accept him as the John I'm now looking for, have to make sure he didn't die in Cookham, at least before 1780.
Also I need to check Cookham marriage registers to make sure that this John was free to marry Mary Mitchell in Lt Marlow.

There is also a William Hastings baptised 1727 in Hagbourne, Berkshire (from the IGI) who could possibly be John's father but there's a way to go before I follow that up  ;D

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 01:27 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps it would be better to continue the conversation about Caroline's family in your other thread about Caroline to keep all the info together for future searchers.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=446639.0

Good idea Doug, to be honest that "Drayton" topic of mine had slipped my mind, presumably because I'd put wife's line for a short time on the back burner whilst I pursued one of my lines, then came early 2007 with it's problems.

I'll copy your latest post on this topic and paste it onto the Draton topic and answer it there.