Author Topic: Much Woolton - Sarah Hamer - COMPLETED  (Read 3662 times)

Offline nuttyal

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Much Woolton - Sarah Hamer - COMPLETED
« on: Friday 22 October 10 11:20 BST (UK) »
Hello to everyone,

I am a newbie and have hit the proverbial "Brick Wall" already!

I am looking for the birth details of my great-grandmother Sarah Ann Hamer.

She married my great-grandfather John Torrans Kynes in March 1878.

Her stated age on the marriage certificate is 21 which puts her birth year as 1857.

Her father is Charles Hamer who is stated as being deceased at time of marriage; given profession is "chimney sweeper".  I think his birth year is 1833 and place of birth in Manchester.

I have tried the main BMD indexes and received back one certificate that shows wrong father (Ralph Hamer).  I found another reference to a Sarah Hamer from Westleigh, Wigan but the Register Office in Wigan can find no trace of my request........... "Brick Wall"!!

I found Sarah Ann on the 1861 census, but her given age there is 2 years and surname shows as Hamers so I have discrepancies there! 

I have suspicion that she was born in Much Woolton district of Liverpool.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Allan
Kynes (Liverpool & Ireland), Hamer (Liverpool), Poplett (Acton, London), Carr (Arbroath)

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Much Woolton - Sarah Hamer
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 October 10 13:39 BST (UK) »
on freebmd is
mar qtr 1857 Sarah Ann Hamer  West Derby 8b 285
she`s not on Lancsbmd or lan-opc though
I live 2 miles from Woolton ...which was Much Woolton.....used to be under Prescot area for registration...but the old Much Woolton area included Childwall which is now under West Derby district
allan :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 October 10 14:11 BST (UK) »
Hiya Allan and welcome to Rootschat...I see you are online...
was John Torrans Kynes from Belgium ?
allan :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline nuttyal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 October 10 14:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Garstonite,

Many thanks for your very quick response......much appreciated!

Unfortunately the GRO reference you have quoted is the one I used to gain the birth certificate copy, and that shows the father as being Ralph Hamer and not Charles Hamer as shown on Marriage certificate.  Birth certificate copy also shows father as being a "Brass Finisher" and not "Chimney Sweeper".  I think this is definitely not the Sarah Hamer I'm looking for. 

Many thanks again for your effort

The search continues!!

Allan

Kynes (Liverpool & Ireland), Hamer (Liverpool), Poplett (Acton, London), Carr (Arbroath)

Offline nuttyal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 October 10 14:25 BST (UK) »
Hello again Garstonite,

No,  John Torrans Kynes came from Dublin and entered Liverpool as the civil unrest began in Dublin.  My dad mentioned that he was forced to leave but not sure why.
That is another area where I'm having difficulty as many records burned in 1922 in Dublin unrest.  Have a nephew who now lives in Dublin and I'm going to ask him to do some detective work for me.
John Kynes set up home in Garston, which is where my immediate  family and I come from.  Now live in the Midlands after much travelling with Forces.

Allan :)

Offline z

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 October 10 14:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Allan

Have found Sarah and her father Charles in the 1871 census and also in the 1901 census with her husband, John, so I will continue  to see whether I can find a birth for her.

Regards

Z :)

Offline nuttyal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 22 October 10 14:39 BST (UK) »
Hi z,

Many thanks for your effort so far.

I too have all the information on the census records, but trying to find the correct birth information is proving very difficult.

The "Brick Wall" is not for collapsing!!

Thanks again.

Regards

Allan :)

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 22 October 10 14:45 BST (UK) »
Do you know about
Garston Woodcutters Genealogy site?....just google Garston Woodcutters then look for the link for Genealogy.......also....
www.ancestral-villages.co.uk  join for free and then go to the villages
garston
woolton
I`ll be surprised if you find sarah ann hamer on either....but you may just get lucky...if not ...put their names in both villages for future research....good luck....allan :)

Offline z

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 22 October 10 14:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Allan

Apologies, if you have this already but thought that if I could find the marriage of her parents then maybe, just maybe I would find her birth in the same area  ......... however sometimes it's just not that easy is it!!!!

Charles Hamer Yr of Reg 1858 Sarah Ann Pugh
Qtr Jan - Mar Dist Liverpool County Lancashire Vol 8b Pg 222

Regards

Z :)