Author Topic: Arms of the man?  (Read 5505 times)

Offline saxonw.

• RootsChat Senior
  • So many honest folk but it's the liars and cheats
    • View Profile
Arms of the man?
« on: Saturday 23 October 10 21:41 BST (UK) »
Years ago I was given an unfinished portrait of a young man (? Well think it's a young man) and the only clue |I have is a sketched  double crest of arms which the painter had put in position before the painting was abandoned. Anyone know how I can get some info based on the arms?
Warks -Blundell, Stagg,Guest,Jennings<br />Ireland -Guest , Connor, Nowlan/Nolan,Hemming<br />Norfolk-Stagg<br />Cardigan-Jones<br />Glamorgan- David<br />Monmouth  and Glos-Witts, Bowsher<br />Derby Leics and Notts: Roulstone, Morley,Astle, Poxon , Bywater, Sanderson, Barnett, Fletcher<br />Hants- Jennings<br />Cornwall- Trestain, Stirrup,Gyles, Pearce, Cock<br />Devon- Hutchin(g)s , Griffey,Davies<br />Middlesex- Stirrup

Offline Bilge

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Arms of the man?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 October 10 22:03 BST (UK) »
ABELL-Hfds & Glouc. AWFORD-Glouc, Hfds & Worcs. DANTER-Glouc,Hfds & Worcs. DAUNTER-Hfds, Glouc & Worcs. BAYLISS-Worcs & Glouc. BILLINGHAM-Hfds. JENKINS-Glam, & Hfds. PIPER-Suffolk, Glam & Hfds. CULLUM-Hfds, Suffolk & Mom.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives

Offline saxonw.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 October 10 22:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks seems  a good idea
Warks -Blundell, Stagg,Guest,Jennings<br />Ireland -Guest , Connor, Nowlan/Nolan,Hemming<br />Norfolk-Stagg<br />Cardigan-Jones<br />Glamorgan- David<br />Monmouth  and Glos-Witts, Bowsher<br />Derby Leics and Notts: Roulstone, Morley,Astle, Poxon , Bywater, Sanderson, Barnett, Fletcher<br />Hants- Jennings<br />Cornwall- Trestain, Stirrup,Gyles, Pearce, Cock<br />Devon- Hutchin(g)s , Griffey,Davies<br />Middlesex- Stirrup

Offline Stephen J F Plowman

• RootsChat Member
  • Still looking
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 31 October 10 21:29 GMT (UK) »
Do you have an image to post here?  I may be able to assist or at least run it past some knowledgeable souls.
Plowman - Dorset
Gollop - Dorset
Taunton - Dorset
Carver - Norfolk
Oyns - all
Tweedy - all
Also British Heraldry (www.heraldry-online.org.uk)

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 31 October 10 22:37 GMT (UK) »
I agree with Stephen.  Between us we have access to a lot of reference material on coats of arms.

I am not sure what you mean by a double crest.  If that is actually what you mean then it should be fairly easy to identify because double crests are fairly rare, particularly if it is English.  However I suspect that you are talking about a pair of shields within a single coat of arms.  In which case an approximate date will be very important and by that I mean which century.

Paired shields within the last 150 years are usually associated with public bodies rather than individuals.  Could the person involved have held public office?

David

Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline saxonw.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 November 10 08:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the offer. As you can see the two shields are only sketched in like the rest of the background. Hope it comes through clear enough.

Offline Stephen J F Plowman

• RootsChat Member
  • Still looking
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 November 10 13:53 GMT (UK) »
The first and fourth quarters of the left hand shield could be Hatton - Azure a chevron between three garbs Or.
Plowman - Dorset
Gollop - Dorset
Taunton - Dorset
Carver - Norfolk
Oyns - all
Tweedy - all
Also British Heraldry (www.heraldry-online.org.uk)

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 01 November 10 14:17 GMT (UK) »
If Stephen is correct, because he has identified the first and fourth quarters of the left hand shield, as viewed, the name of the man pictured could well be Hatton.  Have you managed to attribute a date to the picture?  If the arms were painted by someone who understood what he was painting I feel that it should be very old.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline saxonw.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 01 November 10 17:33 GMT (UK) »
Well that is one of the burning questions: it's painted on wood  not canvas and he looks rather like an unfinished cavalier.However the  very  old lady I inherited from (no relation) was the daughter of a turn of the century art dealer (of sorts) and she was convinced it was very old. Experts  told her however that they thought it was a Victorian copy because it was on wood but the last I heard that this variety of wood could be old.I've not got round to follwoing it up yet but I thought the coats of arms might help.