Author Topic: Arms of the man?  (Read 5510 times)

Offline saxonw.

• RootsChat Senior
  • So many honest folk but it's the liars and cheats
    • View Profile
Re: Arms of the man?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 01 November 10 17:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your help by the way.
Warks -Blundell, Stagg,Guest,Jennings<br />Ireland -Guest , Connor, Nowlan/Nolan,Hemming<br />Norfolk-Stagg<br />Cardigan-Jones<br />Glamorgan- David<br />Monmouth  and Glos-Witts, Bowsher<br />Derby Leics and Notts: Roulstone, Morley,Astle, Poxon , Bywater, Sanderson, Barnett, Fletcher<br />Hants- Jennings<br />Cornwall- Trestain, Stirrup,Gyles, Pearce, Cock<br />Devon- Hutchin(g)s , Griffey,Davies<br />Middlesex- Stirrup

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 01 November 10 22:20 GMT (UK) »
The original arms were those of Sir Christopher Hatton (1540-1591) 

http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/Bios/ChristopherHatton.htm

If the original picture was two generations later and the arms would seem to indicate that at least, this fits fairly well with the middle of the 17th century.

However this particular shield can be found quartered onto much earlier shields and even in the 14th century appears as one of ten shields which are marshalled to form a single shield for a Hatton in Shropshire.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline saxonw.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 02 November 10 07:58 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much. Methinks its a trip to some art dealers next.Unless anyone knows anything about the descendants of St Christopher Hatton.
Warks -Blundell, Stagg,Guest,Jennings<br />Ireland -Guest , Connor, Nowlan/Nolan,Hemming<br />Norfolk-Stagg<br />Cardigan-Jones<br />Glamorgan- David<br />Monmouth  and Glos-Witts, Bowsher<br />Derby Leics and Notts: Roulstone, Morley,Astle, Poxon , Bywater, Sanderson, Barnett, Fletcher<br />Hants- Jennings<br />Cornwall- Trestain, Stirrup,Gyles, Pearce, Cock<br />Devon- Hutchin(g)s , Griffey,Davies<br />Middlesex- Stirrup

Offline Stephen J F Plowman

• RootsChat Member
  • Still looking
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 03 November 10 11:48 GMT (UK) »
The 2nd & 3rd quarters could be that of the See of London.  However, bishops tend to impale their Arms with those of their See rather than quarter them.  The Arms on the right are probably those of his wife.
Plowman - Dorset
Gollop - Dorset
Taunton - Dorset
Carver - Norfolk
Oyns - all
Tweedy - all
Also British Heraldry (www.heraldry-online.org.uk)

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 03 November 10 12:06 GMT (UK) »
Sir Christopher may have married in 1630 to Elizabeth daughter of Sir Charles Montagu (deceased) but his title was inherited by William Newton (I think) the son of his sister Dorothy.  William took on the surname Hatton.  There are however documents which indicate that Sir Christopher married a Fanshawe.

I can find no evidence of a bishop of London called Hatton.  I am struggling with what happens if a Hatton married the daughter of a bishop of London.  Would their eldest son have quartered arms as shown?

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline saxonw.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 03 November 10 14:51 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. When you said bishop my natural reaction was to look at the other shield: they really do look like chess bishops. Which I think is a bit odd given  the fact that the other is the See of London

Offline Stephen J F Plowman

• RootsChat Member
  • Still looking
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 05 November 10 08:25 GMT (UK) »
I can find no evidence of a bishop of London called Hatton.  I am struggling with what happens if a Hatton married the daughter of a bishop of London.  Would their eldest son have quartered arms as shown?

The Arms of the See of London are "corporate" Arms and as such "go with the job" but only "with the job".  They will be used by the next incumbent whilst his predecessor reverts to using his own Arms alone or with his next set of "corporate" Arms.

A colleague over at the HSS found reference to Ralph Hatton de Stratford who as a Bishop of London in the 13th century.
Plowman - Dorset
Gollop - Dorset
Taunton - Dorset
Carver - Norfolk
Oyns - all
Tweedy - all
Also British Heraldry (www.heraldry-online.org.uk)

Offline saxonw.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 05 November 10 19:35 GMT (UK) »
Makes you think it might well have been a Victorian job pretending to be older after all. I am not aware of any bishop being allowed to marry until after the Reformation