Author Topic: The Pitchford Family - Green End, Presteigne  (Read 10038 times)

Offline Helyg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Pitchford Family - Green End, Presteigne
« on: Wednesday 24 February 10 20:18 GMT (UK) »
Looking for information about this family and their origins.  I believe there were Pitchfords living in Green End in the 1950's?  Also interested in anybody who knows anything about Edith Pitchford who lived in Hereford Street.  There are, almost certainly, descendants of the Pitchford family living in Tredegar and Llandrindod Wells today. Related to this search are the names Price, Hooper and Watkins. Also the names Pole and Donnely? Thanks in anticipation! :)

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
Re: The Pitchford Family - Green End, Presteigne
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 February 10 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Helyg,

This could get confusing, so bear with me......... my husband's grandmother's sister (originally a Morris born in 1916 - not sure whether she is still alive, so not mentioning names!) married a Pitchford of Llan'dod and had two daughters.  I believe the family may have moved to Leicester.

Does that ring any bells..........

If it is the same family, I may be able to get more info from my parents in law  :D

Offline Helyg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 February 10 21:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello Spidermonkey - thank you for taking the trouble to reply. The Pitchfords of Green End were,I think, David and Emma. They had daughters and two sons - one was Ernie, who moved to Newport and became, I think, the manager of Whiteheads(?) factory.  The other son was William John - unfortunately I know only his name really. I have only just started this search - new facts coming to light on a regular basis!  Ernie was a confirmed batchelor. I have a feeling that William John is the Llandrindod Wells connection. What happened to his descendents, or where they went, I don't know. Any info. you can come up with would be most appreciated. Is the Green End connection a strong one for you? I know the Pitchfords lived there - because I remember visiting as a child. Have recently visited Green End - to evoke memories.  Unfortunately I remember the inside of the house well - but i'm not too clear on who lived there! Thanks for your interest :)

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 February 10 21:39 GMT (UK) »
My in-laws have lived in and around Presteigne for most of their life but do not remember the Pitchfords of Green End.

My MIL remembers Gordon Pitchford of Llandrindod who married her first husband's auntie (Megan Morris). The couple had two daughters and moved to Leicester at a relatively young age.

When they returned to visit mid-wales later in life they talked (and visited) a pitchford relative living in Evenjobb (a roadman by trade). When this roadman died his widow moved to Norton - 2 miles to the north of Presteigne - where my in-laws now live.

I hope this helps in some way. If you have further info that I can prime my in-laws with it may jog a memory...

Offline Helyg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 February 10 21:53 GMT (UK) »
My first post regarding the Pitchford family was a few months back - thinking about it now, it was rather vague, and I was disappointed that nobody replied. What can you do when you don't know very much? I do know that Green End is a massive connection - so anybody with relatives named Pitchford, but not connected to that address, are not likely to be connected to my family. However, family history is a complicated and intricate web - with many twists and turns - you never know!! I have made excellent progress with my mother's ancestors - it takes time and patience!! Please keep an eye on what is going on here - there could be a connection. Thanks for your time - I am witing down your comments for my "paper file"! (good old paper and pen - still more instantly accesible than the internet when you want to find fact really quickly!!)

Offline Helyg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
PITCHFORD FAMILY - PRESTEIGNE
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 October 10 23:30 BST (UK) »
Hi - one last attempt! Still looking for anybody who has information about the PITCHFORD family who lived in Presteigne. Key names are  - Ernie, Edie, Florence May, Maggie. Locations -- the Pitchford family lived at various locations on Hereford Street (or road). Edie lived on the same street until her death - at about 93 - in about 1986. There is also a strong connection with Green End --- indeed, so strong that I remember visiting family members there in the 1950's. I am looking for family members who share the same family history ----- and now, possibly, live in Llandrindod Wells. It might be possible that I have family members living in Tredegar too ---- related to Maggie, Martha, Lizzie Pitchford? There is also a connection with the surname Pole or Poole? My great grandparents were David Pitchford and Emma Pitchford (nee Price). There are also family connections with the following locations: Gatehouse?? Cefnlys in the parish of Llanfihangel Helygen. The Vicarage, Llandegly. Trellan, Llandegley, Kington. Emma wa born in 1856. She married David Pitchford on 4th October 1886 - at St. Andrews Church Presteigne.  David was a mason's labourer at Llandegley at the time of the 1891 census. I would love to know more about this family and would be thrilled to find family members descended from Emma and David! Thanks to anyone who can help in any way. :)

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 November 10 01:54 GMT (UK) »
It's such an unusual surname that you may be able to trace relatives using things like 192.com or sites like Facebook. There are some useful hints:

You can find some tips for searching for living people on these RootsChat topics:

RootsChat Topic: Searching for living relatives and Rootschat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,142443.0.html

RootsChat Topic: Tracing Living Relatives
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,261434.0.html

Perhaps try local newspapers too?

Offline Helyg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 09 November 10 18:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your help Morganllan I will try what you have suggested. Sorry i've not thanked you before --- I don't check very often because I don't expect to get any answers! Will let you know if I find anything out!

Offline mimthemuz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 26 November 10 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am afraid I don't have much information for you at the moment, but I remember a Miss Pitchford that lived in Green End and later moved to Hereford Street.  My grandparents lived at 4, Green End and my gran used to go to Miss Pitchford and helped her sometimes by doing her shopping and some cleaning .... and I often went along with her.   Anyway I am sure my father will know more about her and I will ask him next week.