Author Topic: "They sold the cottages in Ashton Under Hill"  (Read 3371 times)

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • "Family ~ link to our past, bridge to our future"
    • View Profile
"They sold the cottages in Ashton Under Hill"
« on: Sunday 24 October 10 03:45 BST (UK) »
Hi :)

My grandfather was born in Ashton Under Hill (now Worcestershire, but then Gloucestershire) in 1901. While he was still a toddler, he moved to Birmingham. I was told that his uncle ~ as the man of the family ~ decided to 'sell the cottages', so the family had to move.

I have long been bemused by this. The family was not well-off ~ my grandfather's mother (the elderly lady in my avatar photo) had had to walk to Birmingham, in order to find work, while she was still very young, because her parents had died leaving four orphaned children. I would have assumed that the family were tenants, who rented their home. Her father had been a carter.

And why 'cottages' in the plural?
There were several family members in the village, but the older ones seem to have lived with the younger ones in their dotage. I cannot see how they would have come to own more than one cottage ~ if, indeed they actually 'owned' any.

Does anyone know how I can find out more about this mystery, please? :)

Someone who knew the family has indicated that the tiny cottage on the front of a photographic book on the village was the family home, but on the census, the family is recorded at least twice, straight after the Star Inn, so I wondered if it was in that part of the village. There were, of course, different branches of the family ~ and I haven't found any real addresses so far. It's a real mystery.
Worcs / Glos: Neal Neale Jeynes Jeens Geans Harris Roper Ropier Colley Dyer Heeks Bayzand Hampton Bishop Cole Elton Littlehales McGowan
Glamorgam: Hampton Thornton Svombo Swambo Swanbo Keefe O Keefe Shanahan Shannon Doyle Maldoon Muldoon Davies Llewellyn Jones
Birmingham: Neale Sarjant Cole Hiley Berridge Tirebuck

Offline maidmarianoops

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • somewhere over the rainbow
    • View Profile
Re: "They sold the cottages in Ashton Under Hill"
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 October 10 05:58 BST (UK) »
ww3.gloucestershire.gov.uk/.../dserve.exe?...

hope this can help
sylvia
notts/derbys clark
      "        "      stenson
        "       "    nicholson
       "     "        jarvis
                         castledine
    rhodes

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 October 10 10:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Sylvia

The URL you've given is missing bits - did you cut and paste it?  What website is it?  Maybe we can come up with the whole thing to help Tricia.

Edit - looks like the Gloucestershire Archives search page - did you find a particular record that helps?

Kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • "Family ~ link to our past, bridge to our future"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 October 10 14:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you. Yes, I think that I shall have to contact the Record Office, to see if they have anything on who owned what.

It may have to be Worcestershire, as Ashton Under Hill is now in that county ~ though it was in Gloucestershire when my family lived there.

It's a pity that I don't know, for certain, exactly where they lived. Then I could ask the current owners if they had anything in their Deeds. I suppose I could still try to do that, after a bit of detective work :)

Worcs / Glos: Neal Neale Jeynes Jeens Geans Harris Roper Ropier Colley Dyer Heeks Bayzand Hampton Bishop Cole Elton Littlehales McGowan
Glamorgam: Hampton Thornton Svombo Swambo Swanbo Keefe O Keefe Shanahan Shannon Doyle Maldoon Muldoon Davies Llewellyn Jones
Birmingham: Neale Sarjant Cole Hiley Berridge Tirebuck