Author Topic: WHITNEY and GUMBLE, Essex  (Read 17420 times)

Offline king otg

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WHITNEY and GUMBLE, Essex
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 04 March 14 11:44 GMT (UK) »
The following census extracts are relevant:

WHITNEY

1901MDX-1261/7/3 William (27) gn.lab, Alice (27) +2

1911HRT-Cheshunt, Sch 277, Henry (56) lab, Susan (54) William (38) Daniel (34) James (32) Ellen (21)

1911MDX-Edmonton, Sch 207, James (30) lab, Sarah Ann (31) Nelly Matilda (5) Florence Alice (9w)

The discrepancies are

1) Susan has replaced Matilda of 1881. The suspicious part is that although Susan is stated to have been married to Henry for 39 years the children given are four born and four alive, none deceased, which omits the other children.

2) James appears with his wife and two daughters as well as under his father's Schedule, in 1911.

3) Noah's dob is given in his death registration as born 3 August 1897 although the baptism at Orpington seems to have said b3/6/1897. His birth registration in S1897 would support either date.

Elijah snr died in 1857 so there was time for him to have had a son called Henry bc1852 and there is one Henry WITNEY registered Dunmow in J1853. Some of Elijah's other children were registered in Essex.

TL   

Offline Faye Patterson

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 14 January 19 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi just wondering if I can help at all. Was googling my old family names, Payton and Whitney, and came across this post. Ben Whitney was my great great grandad, Tilly is (was) my great auntie she has 2 sisters still alive my Nan, Nellie Patterson (Whitney ) and Alice still living in Edmonton. Tilly, Fred, Barbara and Ted were the other siblings all passed over. Don’t know if that might help you.

Offline cathyred

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 19 January 19 17:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Faye,

nice to hear from you, i am Freds daughter, your nans brother.  we met last year at the family get together,

i have been researching the payton and whitney side of our tree for the last 5 years,  i belong to Ancestry, and have learnt a lot.  The beginning of this story on here, refers to Uncle Noah, nanny Paytons brother, and his son Noah boy.

love

Cathy

Offline Angie1

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 20 December 20 14:14 GMT (UK) »
hi, i am cathy daughter of frederick payton, noah whitney was his uncle, alice and ben whitney are my great grandparents.  uncle noahs wife elvina was killed in a car accident (run down). they have a son noah who still lives in takely essex.  if theres anything else i can help you with please let me know, cos i am still in contact with the whitneys.

Hi Cathy,

I have been contacted by the  church re the death of Noah boy. His mother and my grandmother Gumble were sisters and buried at Hatfield Broad Oak.They were trying to find next of kin. I was trying to find out if there are any of his cousins still alive on the Witney side? Also a lady has now come forward to claim his body - Joanne Laffar? Is she a relative?

Offline Billwhit

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 18 September 22 00:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Cathy I have just been reading the comments on here i am your dad’s cousin bill Whitney,I notice on here they left my dad out of brothers and sisters who are buried in Edmonton cemetery william whitney he was second oldest son.I was surprised to see Noar boy died .Have you been trying to do a family tree it’s quite difficult.Hope you are keeping ok.by the way little sister who died of meningitis

Offline o1kric

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 14 October 22 14:46 BST (UK) »
In my tree I have Alice Gumble,

BIRTH 1861 • Southend, Essex, England.