Author Topic: Jane Wheeler b.1833  (Read 1658 times)

Offline CivilizedServant

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jane Wheeler b.1833
« on: Monday 25 October 10 02:22 BST (UK) »
Oh where to begin!..

I have a Jane Wheeler, the mother of Albert Wheeler b.1869 Pimlico and Ada Wheeler b.c.1874 Pimlico (and possibly the mother of a Jane and Louise).

I can find her at the 1871 census as Jane Wheeler born in Bath and at 1881, 1891 and 1901 as Jane Newman, also born in Bath (at 81 and 91 as the 'wife' of Charles Newman).

On her son Albert's birth cert she gives her maiden name as 'Perry' and his father as George Wheeler, Potman (deceased).  On Ada's marriage cert, the father is given as Alfred Wheeler, Furniture Porter (deceased)...

The thing is I can't find any marriage for Jane - as a Perry to a Wheeler or to a Charles Newman (I don't actually think she ever married); I can't find any baptisms for her children and I can't confirm her on any census prior to 1871.

By 1881 her son Albert was in an Industrial School and then ended up in the Army.  I have a copy of his Army Service Records and he gives his next of kin as his mother Jane Newman so I'm happy that I'm looking for the correct Jane - problem is I can't find any trace of her before 1871....

Help!

Thanks in advance (especially if you've managed to read to the end of the above)

Wheeler - London / Liverpool
Watmough / Shaw - Liverpool
Houghton / Letchford - Derbyshire
Hunter / Simpson - Scotland

Offline z

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Wheeler b.1833
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 October 10 15:29 BST (UK) »
Hi CivilizedServant

Wow this really is a mystery!!!! Have checked births, marriages and deaths for this lady and her family but have come up with nothing I'm afraid, other than the birth for Albert, which you already have, strange though that she has registered her sons birth and that there doesn't appear to be any obvious entries for her other children. I did find a possible death for a Jane Newman b1832 d1905 Qtr JFM Dist St George Hanover Sq Vol 1a Pg 319.
She gave a maiden name of Perry on her sons birth certificate , however I failed to find an earlier entry in the census using this name combination of Jane Perry b 1833 Bath, which made me wonder whether this was in fact a married name, however could'nt find a marriage to support this theory but did find in the 1861 census RG9 Piece 148 Folio 59 Pg 41 Civil Parish Islington County Middlesex (according to Genuki abt 3 miles from Westminster and St George Hanover Sq, Middlesex)
Alfred Perry Head 34 Somerset Bath Labourer
Jane Perry Wife 31 Somerset Bath Laundress
Sarah A Perry Daughter 9 Somerset
There are also two lodgers in the house by the name of East.
Looked for the family in the following census and found nothing of them as a family unit.
I failed to find anything of the Wheeler connection.
Apologies if you have this already but thought I would post what I have found - good luck!

Regards

Z :)

Offline CivilizedServant

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Wheeler b.1833
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 October 10 20:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks I'll take a look at this Alfred
Wheeler - London / Liverpool
Watmough / Shaw - Liverpool
Houghton / Letchford - Derbyshire