Author Topic: Anne Jones dau of Rev. Robert Evans Trefriw c.1815 lookup please?  (Read 5647 times)

Offline Rosedale

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Anne Jones dau of Rev. Robert Evans Trefriw c.1815 lookup please?
« on: Monday 25 October 10 03:07 BST (UK) »
Searching for the birth of Anne Jones nee Evans.

Born circa 1815 in Trefriw (according to census). Died 10 April 1878 in Llanuwchllyn, Merionethshire, aged 63 years.

Her obituary in the paper says her father was Rev. Robert Evans who also lived, and died in Llanwuwchllyn, Merionethshire. Anne was a buried as a Calvinist Methodist.

Looking for her birth, but have no further information.

I know that IGI has a record of Caerhyn, which is close by. I don't believe this is the right record as it states Robert is a fuller.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)
Flintshire - Hughes, Price, Simon, Messham, Griffiths, Powell, Tattum, Eaton, Roberts, Pownall, James, Enion
Denbighshire - Morris
Cheshire - Walley, Hough, Pridden, Jackson, Lawson, Rosedale, Rigby
Lancashire - Smith, Caunce, Williams, Eaton, Watkinson, As(h)croft, Wilson
Cumbria - Twentyman, Borrow, Bownas, Mitchell
London - Liddell, Wilkes, Hart
Midlands - Smith, Fox, Hopton, Timson

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Anne Jones dau of Rev. Robert Evans Trefriw c.1815 lookup please?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 October 10 15:06 BST (UK) »
Hello Rosedale,

The Anne Evans baptised in Caerhun Calvinist Methodist Chapel in 1815 looks to be a good match certainly. It is the right year, religion and father's name.

How sure are you of the accuracy of the information on Robert being a fuller? The other thing I wondered is whether this could have been in a time before he became a Reverend.

Do you have any idea of the years of birth and death for Robert Evans? Have you found him in a census?

In the absence of replies here, I think you should consider a request to Caernarfon Record Office asking for their assistance. They may be able to do a quick look up for you.

Jo.

Offline bardotka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 October 12 00:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosedale

I have been looking for info on Robert Evans as he is my 3rd great grandfather.

The IGI gives 15th May 1815 as Anne's birth date. I suspected that Anne was one of Robert's children

I would be interested to know when she got married (and became a Jones) if you have that info?  Her brother was Evan - my 2nd great grandfather.  I don't know if Robert had any other children. 

Robert was a well known Calvinist Methodist minister who had an even more well known brother Foulk Evans.  Robert spent some time in the Conwy Valley - he was known as Robert Evans Roe after that.  He is buried in LLanuwchllyn.  Robert and Evan's father was Evan Foulk - also a well known minister.

Do you know if Anne stayed in the Conwy Valley?

Darren

Offline Rosedale

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 October 12 21:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Darren,

It's actually my partner's tree.  I know that Anne became a Jones because Anne's obituary.  You can gain a lot of information from this family through reading the newspapers, but the information is all in Welsh.

It said she married David Jones of Caergai, my partner's great-great grandfather.  It says she was the daughter of the Reverend Robert Evans, also of Caergai, and basically goes on to say what a God fearing woman she was throughout her life.

Anne was actually baptised on 15 May 1815, but born 18 May 1814.  She died in Llanuwchllyn, and there's still much of her descendent living there to this day...

I too have Evan Evans down as her brother, but I'd appreciate information as to who he married for my tree too.

I've gone two more generations back as well with some nice little info bits.  Hope that's helpful!  There's a lot of Ffoulks, Evans etc :)

Thanks

Lisa.

Flintshire - Hughes, Price, Simon, Messham, Griffiths, Powell, Tattum, Eaton, Roberts, Pownall, James, Enion
Denbighshire - Morris
Cheshire - Walley, Hough, Pridden, Jackson, Lawson, Rosedale, Rigby
Lancashire - Smith, Caunce, Williams, Eaton, Watkinson, As(h)croft, Wilson
Cumbria - Twentyman, Borrow, Bownas, Mitchell
London - Liddell, Wilkes, Hart
Midlands - Smith, Fox, Hopton, Timson

Offline bardotka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 October 12 23:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisa

I'm very excited by what you have told me - a bit like adding bits of the jigsaw!!!  We have a photograph of Robert's grave and if I remember right there is some connection with David Jones - I will have a look and let you know.  If you want to see the photo I will send it to you.  We have always wondered who David Jones was.  Now we know - thank you!!!

I'm supposed to be writing lesson plans at the moment but I do find this family history stuff very exciting.  I can tell you that Evan was also a teacher and his wife was Sarah Mathers. 

I don't know if you have ever looked at the LDS Family Search site but you will find all my stuff on there. 

Both Evan and Sarah died young - in their early 30s.  They had three children one of whom was my great grandfather Robert Foulkes-Evans.

If you want to know more please don't hesitate to ask, but for now I had better get back to my lesson planning!!!

Darren

Offline big g

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 October 12 14:38 BST (UK) »
Darren,

Longshot this.......... was your Robert Foulkes Evans born c.1842, and did he have son Robert John Evans b.c. 1880, who married a Catherine Mary Jarvies/Jervis?

Glenys
Williams - Llanllyfni Llandwrog Llanrug Bedd Austr.
Jones - Beddgelert/Nantlle
Parry - Llanllyfni
Owen s - Beddgelert
Pierce - Llanrug
Jarvis/Jervis - Llanrug
Roberts - Llanddeiniolen
Griffith  - Beddgellert/LLanrug

"This information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Corrin - I.o.M./Bootle/K'dale/Seaforth
Stewart - Durham L'pool
Whitford -I o M L'pool
Atkinson - Bootle K'dale
Crookham - Formby Crosby L'pool

Lloyd Dickinson Burgess Threlfall Tarbuck - Lancs

Offline bardotka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 October 12 23:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Glenys

They would be one and the same!!!  Robert died in London in 1919 of stomach cancer.  Robert was a younger brother of my grandfather Ebenezer Francis Evans. 

Darren

Offline big g

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 26 October 12 15:38 BST (UK) »
Darren,

Catherine Mary Jarvis/Jervis and variants, was the daughter of David and Jane Jarvis; David's brother Thomas T.Jarvis married my gt.grandma's sister Jane Williams 1834 Beddgelert.

Regards,

Glenys
Williams - Llanllyfni Llandwrog Llanrug Bedd Austr.
Jones - Beddgelert/Nantlle
Parry - Llanllyfni
Owen s - Beddgelert
Pierce - Llanrug
Jarvis/Jervis - Llanrug
Roberts - Llanddeiniolen
Griffith  - Beddgellert/LLanrug

"This information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Corrin - I.o.M./Bootle/K'dale/Seaforth
Stewart - Durham L'pool
Whitford -I o M L'pool
Atkinson - Bootle K'dale
Crookham - Formby Crosby L'pool

Lloyd Dickinson Burgess Threlfall Tarbuck - Lancs

Offline bardotka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 26 October 12 23:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Glenys

I have not looked into Catherine's line yet so that is good info to have - thanks!!!

What I do know is that Robert and Catherine's son, Robert David Foulkes Evans, went to the States and I am in contact with one of his descendants who lives in Pennsylvania - a lady called Kathryn Domhoff.  Catherine Jervis was Kathryn's great grandmother.

One of Robert Foulkes Evans' other children, Margaret Ann Evans, also moved to the States and I believe that some of  her descendants are also in Pennsylvania.

Ta again!

Darren