Author Topic: Judge brothers immig. to n.y  (Read 3583 times)

Offline AlbanynyJudge

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Judge brothers immig. to n.y
« on: Monday 25 October 10 14:33 BST (UK) »
Looking for town and or parish in Co. Roscommon where  3 brothers were born before immig. to Albany N.Y. in the 1860's.
1. James J.Judge b. 1839, was married to Hanora Fallon/Fillon/Filon/Falon.... she was dau. of James & Ann ( nee Byrne)and b. abt. May 1845.They possibly already had 2 daus. & definitly had a son Bartholomew when they immigrated. They came to Albany n.y abt 1862 where several other Judge family from  Co. Roscommon also came to.

2. Patrick Judge b.1842 , he married probably in N.Y. to Annie Mattimore also of ire. & whose family had large family in Albany N.Y. also.The Mattimores also came fro Co. Roscommon.

3.Michael Judge b.1848, immig. abt 1868. He married in Albany to Mary Sweeney also of Ire..

Would love to located the town and or parish these 3 brothers were from, they were Catholic.I am planning a trip to Ireland and would enjoy going to their birth place. James & Hanora are my gt gr parents,Michael & Patrick gt. uncles.They probably had other siblings but names are not known and do not know if they remained in Ire or immigrated to the U.S. .Their fathers name is possibly Bartholomew or Bartly.

Any info on this Judge family will be grealty appreciated. I have  a lot of info and pictures on these men & families once here. I will share it with their judge line in Ire. if anyone is interested. Many thanks in advance for any help or leads.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Judge brothers immig. to n.y
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 October 10 14:36 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat. Since civil registration of births in Ireland started in 1864 the usual procedure is to check church records but to do so you need to know where the family lived (parish of not actual townland).

You might be able to find more information in U.S. resources to give you a clue to location in Ireland. Gravestones, newspaper obituaries, death certificates, naturalisation records, etc.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Judge brothers immig. to n.y
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 October 10 15:40 BST (UK) »
Bartholomew/Bartly Judge is a fairly unusual name. There's no trace of the death of a Bartholomew Judge after 1864, when statutory records begin. There's 2 Bartley Judge records that you might be interested in. One is a death of a Bartley Judge who died July - Sept 1899, b 1834. Death registered Boyle, Co. Roscommon. The other was a birth of a Bartley Judge Oct - Dec 1887, again in Boyle. You might feel it would be worth getting copies of those certificate from the LDS or GRO Roscommon www.groireland.ie/ to see whether there is any connection with your family. (If ordering from GRO, order a research copy as its cheaper).
Elwyn