Author Topic: Ellen Roath- born 5 years before she claimed?  (Read 3028 times)

Offline littleem1906

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great great grandma Seaward
    • View Profile
Ellen Roath- born 5 years before she claimed?
« on: Tuesday 26 October 10 14:03 BST (UK) »
My great great grandmother Ellen Roath is a complete mystery to our family. We know that she died in 1945 and from her marriage record to John Harbidge in 1897 we know she was born around 1875. On her marriage certificate her father is named Charles Roath.

I searched for her birth record and there is no Ellen Roath born in Birmingham in 1875. There are however two Ellen Roath birth records for Birmingham. The first is Ellen Maria Roath born in 1874, however she also died the same year as I found her death record. The second Ellen Roath was born in 1870, 5 years before my great great grandmother.

I looked for the Ellen Roath born in 1870 in the 1871 census. She appeared to have a father called Charles Edward Roath, which matches the father's name on my grandmothers marriage certificate. However in 1881, the father is dead.

Do I have the correct family for my Ellen Roath? If so could Ellen Roath have lied on her marriage certificate to make her appear 5 years younger? And why would her father not be listed as deceased on her marriage certificate?   
Warwickshire, Birmingham, Worcestershire, Shropshire, Bridgnorth.

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
Re: Ellen Roath- born 5 years before she claimed?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 October 10 14:10 BST (UK) »
You could put down whatever you wanted on a marriage certificate, who was going to check  ???

Its not uncommon to find fathers not listed a deceased when they were and vice versa.

Certificates are just like the census's, nothing can be taken for granted until proven
this information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   London Hall, Thurston Stanley, Phillips, Ayrton, White, Morrish, Smith.    West Ham/Barking Saint,Briggs,   Essex  Barker,   Hampshire  Kill, Kent Spong,   U.S.A Earp, Scotland/Cumbria Templeton, Devon Morrish, Chudley

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 October 10 14:12 BST (UK) »
How old was her husband?

Women are vain creatures! Always telling little porkies about age!!  :D

<I'll run for cover now!>
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline littleem1906

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 October 10 14:14 BST (UK) »
Does this mean my suspicions are correct and she lied about her age? I am guessing she did this as her husband was 23 at the time of the marriage. Had she given her real age she would have been 27. Her death record states that in 1945 she was 70 years old so it looks like she continued the lie all her life.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 October 10 14:16 BST (UK) »
That sounds about right to me.

It was (and still is?) considered "usual" for the bride to be younger than the groom.
Some people get a bit paranoid over this!!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 October 10 15:02 BST (UK) »
1881 Census it appears to that Charles is just away from home as Elizabeth is described as married.

BUT;
There is a Charles Roath born c 1846 Holywell, Wales with a much younger Wife living in Kings Norton, Worcs in 1881. He is a Metal Polisher.
RG11/2948/48/16
1871 Census where he is Married to Elizabeth (nee Onions) he is a German Metal Polisher ;)
May explain why he is down as deceased on Ellens M/C?
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline littleem1906

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 26 October 10 15:04 BST (UK) »
This is definately my Charles Roath, as his profession on Ellen's marriage certificate is metal polisher. Wow, I had no idea he had married again. I wonder who she was? I thought that divorce was very uncommon in the 1800s?

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 26 October 10 15:10 BST (UK) »
It was and not likely unless you were aristocracy.
Have you found Elizabeth the Mother post 1881?
After 7yrs of desertion she could remarry.
Ellen and her Sister Elizabeths Marriages are on Familysearch Pilot;
Elizabeth married William EDWARDS 1889.
It may be worth following Ellens Siblings to see if any other clues turn up.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline littleem1906

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 26 October 10 15:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the help Trish. It seems sad that he would desert his first wife like that. I haven't been able to find her in later census records yet. I don't know when she married Charles Roath either. I was told her maiden name could be Onions. Who was his second wife?