Author Topic: Considine - McMahon of Clare - Genealogy Assistance Needed  (Read 15806 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Considine - McMahon of Clare, Kilrush
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 26 October 10 19:17 BST (UK) »
Don't give up yet.
Their marriage certificate should list their residences at time of marriage as well as fathers' names and occupations.
U.S. records may yield more clues. Have you checked passenger manifests, census records, naturalization records, newspaper obituaries?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 26 October 10 19:23 BST (UK) »
Did your Denis and Bridget arrive at Ellis Island 6 Apr.1915 on the Transylvania?

Offline knesfeder

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 26 October 10 19:28 BST (UK) »
Yes they did.  I have the log from their trip.  I have the marriage certificate and I'm trying to load it but it won't take it.  Both fathers were labourers.  That is another way I confirmed the father's names.

I'm certainly not giving up.  I want to go to Ireland next year and hopefully meet some relatives !! 

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 26 October 10 19:30 BST (UK) »
Go to www.ellisisland.org and do a search for Denis Considine then select the 1915 one, then view original manifest- says they are US citizens and naturalized 22 Feb.1896 Lock Have, Penna. There might be helpful details in the paperwork.

Offline knesfeder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 26 October 10 19:33 BST (UK) »
I have a copy of his citizenship.  He came over and worked in Pennsylvania prior to bringing the family over from Ireland.   

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 26 October 10 19:35 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I looked at that and was puzzled  - the names almost match and most of the ages but I just thought it a big coincidence.
So they must have gone to USA, returned to Clare and then back to USA.

By another coincidence , I am watching a programme on television and just at that moment, there was a boat race between Kilrush, Donnbeg and others. :D

best wishes
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline knesfeder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 26 October 10 19:50 BST (UK) »
My great grandfather worked as a farmer for a gentlemen by the name of Gallagher in Bethlehem, PA.  He liked my GGfather so much he offered to pay the passage for his family to come to the USA.  He went back to Ireland and brought family to PA.  While on board the Transylvania, a German sub followed their ship.  Several years later this same ship by sunk off Genoa by a German sub. 

They also had a young daughter that died in Ireland that we were trying to determine her name.  Based on the 1911 census, it looks like it was "Bridget"

Offline MurrayGinnane

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Considine of Clare - 1699
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 12 February 11 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Because this 1699 record of a Considine marriage is so old, I wonder if it is possible to work forwards from it to the 1800s?  Perhaps they'll meet up with your one?     
Lack is a few miles east of Kilrush.     
---
Mar 22nd 1699 : Daniel Considine from Lack, Co.Clare married to Jane Sulivan.
Bondsman: Richard Lillis from Newmarket, Co.Clare.
For wordsearch : Sullivan
-----------
Also, just out of interest ....
June 27th 1719 James Molony of Ennis married Catherine Torpey from Carriggaholt (sic.).   
Terence McMahon from Clonndonough, Co.Clare went bond for them. 
For wordsearch : Torpy, Carrigaholt,
----------
GINNANE , GUINNANE, GUINANE, GINANE, GUINANNE of Rahona East, Carrigaholt, Co.Clare;   or of Coney Island, or Fergus River areas.
CONNOR MURRAY of Rahona East;  
Mac an Gowan or Guinane / Ginnane / Genane / Gaynor / Ghabhainn / Smith of Borrisokane, north west Co.Tipperary [before 1650].
Hanley from Kildorrery, Co.Cork; Downey from Shraharla, Co.Limerick. 
Deamer, Lane, Manning from Hitchin, Hertfordshire. 
Peter Nils Harder from Naestved, Sjaelland, Denmark [ and later Westport, NZ].

Offline dehopkins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Considine - McMahon of Clare - Genealogy Assistance Needed
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 04 October 12 19:13 BST (UK) »
Hello. I also have some Considine ancestors from Craganock that I know very little about beyond a certain point. My ggg grandfather James Considine was born in Craganock in 1863. He had two younger siblings that are known, Michael born 1866, and John, born 1868 after immigrating to Pennsylvania. His parents were Michael Considine and Ellen Scully. I can find no records for any them, bmd, in Clare or Pennsylvania, with the exception of James and Michael. I have James' death record in Chicago and Michael's birth record in Craganock. They are from the same town at about the same time as your Considines, and I wonder if there is any connection there. I'm attaching a photo of James circa 1885 below.