Author Topic: Mullin/Patterson - Ballymoney/Belfast 1780s onwards??  (Read 3778 times)

Offline rbell35

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mullin/Patterson - Ballymoney/Belfast 1780s onwards??
« on: Wednesday 27 October 10 02:54 BST (UK) »
Searching for evidence of my great-great-grandparent's family in the Ballymoney area, near Belfast Ulster, Ireland early in the 19th Century. My great-grandmother was a Mary Patterson was born ~ 1808, daughter of Hugh PATTERSON and Margaret (surname unknown). I do not known anything about these early ancestors. Mary eventually married a William MULLIN in Belfast. It is also believed that William was initially a Baptist Minister then later worked as a Civil Engineer. William and Mary had 2 daughters, Matilda Jane (born during the late 1830s) followed by Maria, born about 1841 The family then travelled to Liverpool in the early 1840s and a son John was born there in 1846. It is believed (but unproven) that William died of some awful disease in Liverpool soon after and that Mary took her family to Australia in about 1850. I believe the PATTERSONs were a Protestant family but I am open to correction on that one. Any information, particularly from descendants is much appreciated. Should any photographs be available I would love to obtain copies, all costs reimbursed of course! Can someone pleeeeease help me? I want to find my elusive Irish cousins too! Thanks very much in anticipation. Regards, Rob, Victoria, Austra

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mullin/Patterson - Ballymoney/Belfast 1780s onwards??
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 October 10 11:01 BST (UK) »
Statutory recording of births & deaths in Ireland started in 1864, so you won’t find birth certificates for any of the Irish births you have given. Protestant marriages were recorded from 1845 so again this marriage is before that era. However English BDMs started in 1837 so you should be able to get a birth cert for John Mullin born Liverpool 1846 and a death cert for William Mullin to find out what that horrible disease was.

To trace the records of birth and marriage in Ireland, prior to the start of statutory records, you are largely reliant on church records and you really need to know the person’s religion, parish or townland.

You say that Wm Mullin was a Baptist Minister for a while. You could contact the Baptist church in Ireland to see if they can confirm that he was a Pastor with them, and the dates. They may also have some useful personal data on him eg age, parents names etc.

www.baptistireland.org/

If he was a Baptist, I suppose that might be unhelpful to your research because Baptists don’t practice infant baptism, and so there probably won’t be a record of Matilda Jane and Maria being baptized (unless the mother brought them up in another religion, which seems unlikely, I would have thought).

The tradition in Ireland is to marry in the wife’s church. So Wm & Mary probably married in her church in Ballymoney. Patterson is a fairly common name in Co. Antrim. There are 1511 Patterson entries in the 1901 census, and 36 in Ballymoney. All of the Ballymoney entries were either Presbyterian or Reformed Presbyterian (sometimes known as Covenanters). It was about a 40:60 split with slightly more being Reformed Presbyterian. (That all the Pattersons were Presbyterian tells you that their ancestors almost certainly originally came from Scotland, probably sometime around 1606 onwards). The difference between Presbyterian and Reformed Presbyterian is a theological one. Google it if you want more information. However from a genealogists perspective it means you have 2 lots of church records to investigate, assuming the records have survived. Unfortunately there are many Presbyterian and Reformed Presbyterian churches around Ballymoney.

If you go to the Public Record Office for NI website you can see what records have survived, church by church. However you cannot search these records on line. You need to search in person. Some churches have declined to let their records be copied, in which case you need to contact the church direct. (The website tells you where these are). 
www.proni.gov.uk/index/research_and_records_held/catalogues_guides_indexes_and_leaflets/online_guides_and_indexes.htm

Griffiths Valuation (1847 – 1864) was a land valuation across Ireland and is a useful genealogical tool.

www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml

There is one entry for a Hugh Patterson in Co. Antrim. He lived at Garryduff, Ballymoney. You should not assume that this is Mary’s father based on this information alone. But in the absence of any other information, you might want to start your search using Presbyterian and Reformed Presbyterian church records in that area.

You should be aware that Irish records at the start of the 1800s were very sparse, and there is a strong possibility you will not be able to find Mary’s family.

I assume you have also explored possible sources such as family bibles, will, obituaries and gravestones, all of which might give clues as to where exactly Mary’s family lived.
Elwyn

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 October 10 11:41 BST (UK) »
If you go to the Public Record Office for NI website you can see what records have survived, church by church. However you cannot search these records on line. You need to search in person. Some churches have declined to let their records be copied, in which case you need to contact the church direct. (The website tells you where these are). 
www.proni.gov.uk/index/research_and_records_held/catalogues_guides_indexes_and_leaflets/online_guides_and_indexes.htm

PRONI is closed until April 2011. See their website for details of church records on microfilm which are available at Cregagh Library at the moment. Coleraine Library also has the same church records on microfilm but be aware that not all churches allowed their records to be copied and the originals remain in local custody.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline rbell35

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 October 10 22:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all the information is indeed much appreciated and invaluable. However I live in Australia so will have to do this by mail I guess??

Cheers,
Rob

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 October 10 23:08 BST (UK) »
Coleraine Library do not have the staff to do lookups (and church microfilms were purchased by the Coleraine branch of the North of Ireland FHS on the condition that they not be printed out) and suspect that Cregagh will be the same. Aside from that I don't know of any Baptist records that were copied so your best bet is probably to start by contacting the Baptist website that was posted earlier.

Offline rbell35

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 October 10 23:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that! Will do........
Rob

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 12 January 19 11:04 GMT (UK) »
a son John was born there in 1846. It is believed (but unproven) that William died of some awful disease in Liverpool soon after

There were three John Mullin births registered in Liverpool in 1846 and one William Mullin death registered there in 1847, do you have any of those certificates?

What documents do you have suggesting William was a minister then a civil engineer (quite a difference in occupations)?

The Hugh Patterson in Garryduff at time of Griffiths Valuation could possibly have been the same Hugh who in 1851, lived there with his wife, Barbara and a number of children.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline rbell35

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 12 January 19 11:10 GMT (UK) »
Yes I have obtained these certificates many years ago but cannot be absolutely sure about each of them. The Hugh Patterson mentioned in the Griffiths Valuation seems unlikely as Mary would have been 43 then and was arrived in Australia. Cheers, Rob

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 12 January 19 14:57 GMT (UK) »
I don't understand- if Mary was 43 and in Australia at the time of Griffith's Valuation why couldn't her father be alive and in Ireland?